New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

Post Reply
Message
Author
Juanlo55
New member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Location: Madrid. Spain

New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#1 Post by Juanlo55 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi everyone,

It is a pleasure be a member of this forum and I hope you support me

I am the owner of a Saab 95 2.3 TS Aero yr 2008 and 260 HP(191 KW)

I have been checking in Spain, with different companies, to convert my car to LPG.

Most of the companies have comment that it is not possible convert this model of Saab due to it exceed the maximum power by cylinder to be validated in my country.

This morning I was talking with Autogas Madrid, and they proposed me to use two vaporizers and Bosch injectors, to ensure the equal functioning to gasoline. This proposal is 200€ more expensive than de previous one, and they are going to present and validate in Ministerio de Industria.

The first proposal was single vaporizer, Vinkle injectors, Elpigaz ECU. The main difference is when you push throttle suddenly, the car can switch from LPG to Gasoline.

My doubt is which proposal is better taking into account that Saab is not an easy car, at least in Spain.

Any support is welcome

Regards
Saab 95 2.3 TS Aero (year 2008-260 HP)

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7988
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm

You might get more replies if you posted in the General Discussion forum rather than here, but I'm sure most people will see it. The Saab takes to LPG very well and 260 hp on a 4 cylinder engine isn't a great ask as long as the components selected are sufficiently rated. Dual vaporiser installs are not uncommon or some have used something like the Bigas dual vaporiser which is basically two joined together. Never heard of LPG injectors made by Bosch though.

Obviously I know nothing about the regulations in Spain so don't know what they require and why they think it is too powerful. It may be that, as in Italy, most conversions are done on small engined cars that are already economical. They think that if you can afford to buy a powerful car you can afford the fuel to run it. In the UK it is different, most conversions are done on bigger engined cars to make running them viable. To buy a big, powerful car can cost no more than a small one, but it uses too much fuel for many people so they will convert to LPG to keep running costs down.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Juanlo55
New member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Location: Madrid. Spain

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#3 Post by Juanlo55 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Gilbertd wrote:You might get more replies if you posted in the General Discussion forum rather than here, but I'm sure most people will see it. The Saab takes to LPG very well and 260 hp on a 4 cylinder engine isn't a great ask as long as the components selected are sufficiently rated. Dual vaporiser installs are not uncommon or some have used something like the Bigas dual vaporiser which is basically two joined together. Never heard of LPG injectors made by Bosch though.

Obviously I know nothing about the regulations in Spain so don't know what they require and why they think it is too powerful. It may be that, as in Italy, most conversions are done on small engined cars that are already economical. They think that if you can afford to buy a powerful car you can afford the fuel to run it. In the UK it is different, most conversions are done on bigger engined cars to make running them viable. To buy a big, powerful car can cost no more than a small one, but it uses too much fuel for many people so they will convert to LPG to keep running costs down.
Thanks for your advice. I shall try to post it in General Discussion Forum
Saab 95 2.3 TS Aero (year 2008-260 HP)

classicswede
Installer
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#4 Post by classicswede » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm

That model of the Saab is no easy conversion to get right, they are a pain to setup and sensative to plugs.

before doing the conversion you will need to replace the spark plugs with single electrode basic plugs. Make sure the car runs perfectly on the replacment plugs before starting the conversion.

Elpigaz is AEB so the electronics are ok.

The reducer needs to be one with a high flow and pressure so the OMVL HP with minor mods would work or the Antartic reducer could be used. Injector wise the Europegas A+ injectors work well.

Positioning of teh nozzles in the manifold is critical and as short a pipe run as possible should be used.
http://www.classicswede.com/
http://www.classicswede.co.uk/LPG/cat17 ... 10800.aspx

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

07824887160

Juanlo55
New member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Location: Madrid. Spain

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#5 Post by Juanlo55 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:56 pm

classicswede wrote:That model of the Saab is no easy conversion to get right, they are a pain to setup and sensative to plugs.

before doing the conversion you will need to replace the spark plugs with single electrode basic plugs. Make sure the car runs perfectly on the replacment plugs before starting the conversion.

Elpigaz is AEB so the electronics are ok.

The reducer needs to be one with a high flow and pressure so the OMVL HP with minor mods would work or the Antartic reducer could be used. Injector wise the Europegas A+ injectors work well.

Positioning of teh nozzles in the manifold is critical and as short a pipe run as possible should be used.
Thanks a lot for your comments
Saab 95 2.3 TS Aero (year 2008-260 HP)

j33myb
New member
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Gourock

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#6 Post by j33myb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Do you have enough LPG stations to make it work for you? I understood that Spain did not have many filling stations.

Good luck

Juanlo55
New member
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm
Location: Madrid. Spain

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#7 Post by Juanlo55 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:19 pm

j33myb wrote:Do you have enough LPG stations to make it work for you? I understood that Spain did not have many filling stations.

Good luck
I think we have enough LPG stations. They are not at UK level, but they are increasing year by year.
I live in Madrid and city and province we have around 100 stations.

Regards
Saab 95 2.3 TS Aero (year 2008-260 HP)

j33myb
New member
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Gourock

Re: New member and my first question. It is not an easy one.

#8 Post by j33myb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Good to know. Off to Macedonia at the end of the month in the Corrado, i thin I Spain will happen next year or year after.

Post Reply