Direct line problem

The dealers dream

Direct line problem

#1 Post by The dealers dream » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Whist looking for a car I got a quote from direct line. It was gbp60 more than the quote websites but I wanted to use a big name. When I got the quote, I asked for it to start when my current policy ended.

After viewing the car, I decided to buy and phoned direct line. I now needed the policy to start immediately. Direct line tried to tell me that a policy to start immediately is higher risk and would add gbp240 to the pay in one go annual price. Yes, if I could wait two weeks for the policy to start, they could honour the original quote.

I explained they were already gbp60 over my best quote but they were not interested.

All sounds like direct line looking to shaft someone needing insurance at that moment.

A call to the best quote and the cost was reduced by a further chunk and started immediately.

I used to rate direct line highly but will now be very suspicious following this sharp (possibly dishonet) practice.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Direct line problem

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:55 am

I've dealt with Direct Line this evening. My partner has been with them and last year they were cheaper than all the companies on teh comparison sites, so she went with them. Renewal arrived in the post this morning and despite her no claims going up from 5 years to 6, the premium had gone up from £363 to £418. A quick check on Mustard.co.uk came back with a quote of £279 so she phoned them to say she won't be renewing. The only difference was that as she now works closer to home she wouldn't be doing the 12,000 a year and 8,000 would probably be ample. After confirming a few details, they dropped the price to £280.....
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

DodgeRover1

Re: Direct line problem

#3 Post by DodgeRover1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:29 pm

LV have done this this year now £130 more than the lowest quote and £80 more than the majority of quotes :(