Tank expiry date

mantaray

Tank expiry date

#1 Post by mantaray » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Can anyone tell me the expiry date of my tank please, as there seem to be 2 dates on the tank. 06/08 or 10/09

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Tank expiry date

#2 Post by Brian_H » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm

I can have a look on mine (as I have the certificate for it somewhere) as thats an Irene, but won't be able to do so before the weekend as its not where I am at the minute (and the other car with an Irene tank has the stamping on the bottom of it, which I can't see as the tank is in the wheel well).

mantaray

#3 Post by mantaray » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:02 pm

According to the local lpg garage, it is the 10/09 that is the tank date. So tank expires Sept next year😡

LPGC
Installer

#4 Post by LPGC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:11 pm

There are plenty vehicles around with tanks much older than 10 years. As long as the tank isn't rusting through it isn't a problem, it looks like your tank is a 30deg toroidal which implies it will be fitted internally where it is unlikely to rust? They don't rust inside, they don't suffer metal fatigue etc, there is no steadfast tank expiry date unless you take too much notice of private trade bodies that are not in charge of legislation.

Depending on whom you talk to Irene have either gone out of business or have moved production to the US, so you might struggle to buy a new Irene tank of the same dimensions that would have holes (to go through the boot floor) in the same place... so if you were to replace it you might need to buy another brand with holes in different places which would mean blanking existing holes before making more holes for the new tank. It will probably be just as expensive to have the tank re-tested as buying a new tank... if you can find somewhere that will test it.

No worries, just don't do anything!
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:25 pm

What he said above, note that as you have noted, the date format is backwards (year followed by month) as I did check mine today, that shows 14/06 which would be about right, as that tank was purchased sometime around early 2015 (can't find the certificate for that one, its about somewhere!).