LPG mileage

VanMan

LPG mileage

#1 Post by VanMan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Does anyone have a clue what the cost of an 80 mile journey would be?

My van is a 2.3 Ford Transit.

(Unleaded and LPG factory fitted hybrid).

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: LPG mileage

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:25 pm

For me, about £16-18 quid but no idea for you. Do you know what mpg it does on LPG? How much do you pay for LPG (depending on where in the country you are it could be anything from 50 to 70p per litre).
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#3 Post by Brian_H » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:39 pm

When I've driven Transits, the fuel consumption is noticablely higher on a longer wheel base than a short one. Equally would depend on what you actually have in the back of the van as well.

Linford Wood BP is currently the cheapest out of the 3 stations in MK (its about 2 miles from me) at 59.9 last time I went past, does the accumulator card so you can knock 5p off a litre on average with that. www.filllpg.co.uk will show you available prices and stations.

I generally find its around 60% of the cost on petrol if that helps any, though that can vary a bit depending where you need to fillup (its reasonably cheap here, few places are a bit cheaper if you were going that way, but your not going to save much by shopping around on the distance you've asked about)

VanMan

#4 Post by VanMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:41 pm

I find that £15 fills him up fully.
Usually gets me over 100 miles before I have to fill up the lpg again.

Currently the Shell at Leadenhall is 62.9 which is my nearest station.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Only £15 for a fill? I suspect something not right there, that's only 24 litres which is a tiny tank capacity, I'd have expected a tank with at least twice that capacity. I suspect the shut off in the tank needs adjustment. What size is the tank?
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:25 pm

being an transit I'd wonder if its got a pair of small tanks underneath. If it has, I'd suspect one of them isn't working properly (most likely the solenoid not opening) as that sounds like a tiny amount, even the Mondeo I had took 40 litres to fill.

£15 for over 100 miles in a van doesn't sound too far wrong to me though.

LPGC
Installer

#7 Post by LPGC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 pm

I believe if a factory fitted Transit has twin tanks they will be joined by large diameter welded steel connecting pipes and only have one valve set.

There is another potential reason that might cause it to seem the gas had ran out when it hadn't... If the system switches back to petrol because it detected a fault condition. If the system switched back to petrol after similar mileage on each occasion regardless of driving conditions this would be very unlikely true, but if it happens on (say) the same stretch of motorway on each occasion such fault could be driving conditions related. Most of the Koltec systems will switch back to petrol if they don't see lambda flick for more than a few seconds and incorrect reducer pressure can cause that to happen only under certain driving conditions... such as going up/down a motorway hill. The easy way to put this to the test would be to simply just not fill up next time it seems the gas has run out and see how far it will go on gas (with possibly not empty tank) on the next journey.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#8 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Thats a fair point, When it switches to petrol what does the switch actually do, a solid red light indicates a fault, if its switched back it should pulse between yellow and red, but solid red will indicate its detected some sort of error. I found motorway driving most likely to make it happen when I had problems down to pressure, specifically long constant speed with low throttle.

VanMan

#9 Post by VanMan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 pm

I have never had a red light on the lpg.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#10 Post by Brian_H » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:18 am

Suggest you check what size tank(s) is/are fitted then - failing all else post up a photo of whats there and someone should be able to take a good guess (rough measurements would help with that).