Want a New 4x4

rob99

Want a New 4x4

#1 Post by rob99 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi All

It's been a long time since I have been on here :shock:

My 1995 3.5 V6 Shogun is still running ok at 160,000 miles with 40k on LPG but it's time for a change (sick of welding!!!)

Been looking around but haven't really made my mind up what I want.

Looked at Diesels but most of the ones I can afford are £550 ish to tax

Would really like a big V8 8)

looked at Range Rovers, X5's Q7's and the one that I really like is the Cayenne 4.5S

Has anybody got any ideas and what are they like to convert.

I did my Shogun myself so it will probably be a DIY install

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Want a New 4x4

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Depends why you want a 4x4. If you want to go off road, go for a Range Rover. The L322 has more than it's fair share of electronic problems but up until 2005 has the same 4.4 litre engine as the X5 while the earlier P38 can also suffer electrical problems but at least they can be fixed. The X5 isn't as capable off road and the Cayenne is a Chelsea tractor that will probably stop at the first sight of a bit of damp ground. I know nothing about the Q7 though.

The BMW 4.4 engine in the L322 and X5 is easily converted and doesn't need Flashlube or similar, likewise the older LRV8 in the P38 (mines at 369,000 miles, at least the last 180,000 on LPG). No idea on the Cayenne though, Simon would be the man to ask.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

LPGC
Installer

Re: Want a New 4x4

#3 Post by LPGC » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm

I've converted loads of Cayenne's the most recent in December 2018. It's probably easier to convert V8 models than the narrow angle V6 (VR6) models as long as the V8 isn't recent enough to be direct injection, the turbo V8s are fast. They all have a small spare wheel well that will only take a 43L tank (gross capacity, net/working capacity is 80% perhaps 90% of that) if the boot floor isn't raised and not a massive tank even if the boot floor is raised several inches. Some models have a sub bass speaker fitted in the middle of the spare wheel well (the foldup type space saver spare fits with the sub in space), the sub speaker has to come out of the spare well if a tank is fitted there, wiring to the sub can easily extend into the luggage area and since the sub is an enclosed unit with wiring connected via a multiplug the sub can be put in/out of the boot anytime the owner wishes. Many of my Cayenne customers have had me fit 2 tanks, toroidal (spare wheel) in the spare wheel well and a cylindrical tank in the luggage area for extra capacity. A 70L cylinder will fit to the nearside of the luggage area running NorthSouth leaving about 2/3rds the width of the boot and still allow access to the spare wheel (or toroidal tank) if the boot floor flap is cut NorthSouth to clear the cylinder tank when the floor flap is raised. It would be possible to fit a wider cylindrical tank running NorthSouth at the nearside or fit a cylinder running East/West behind the back seat but EastWest would prevent access to the spare wheel (or toroidal tank).

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon