Subaru Tribeca 3.0 H6

david1972

Subaru Tribeca 3.0 H6

#1 Post by david1972 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Hello all,

I've seen a few Subaru Tribeca's advertised as having been converted to LPG - as these are the same engines as found in the legacy, outback etc I'm assuming they are a good candidate to convert?

Any ideas on what the cost to convert would be please and anything I should 'look out for' on one already converted or to convert?

Thank you

David

LPGC
Installer

Re: Subaru Tribeca 3.0 H6

#2 Post by LPGC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm

I had an enquiry about converting another Tribeca recently, was that you?
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

SubaruFan

#3 Post by SubaruFan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm on my second LPG Subaru, currently the 3.6 / H6 Outback. I converted at 46k miles, and currently at 108k miles. Previous Outback 2.5l H4 converted at 60k miles, sold on still running perfectly at 200k miles.

They seem to convert very well. Both mine have had the BRC kit, and both have had Flashlube, which is a must with the Subaru's.

I paid about £1,500 for the H6 conversion I think.

Hope that helps,
Ewan
2010 Outback 3.6R, BRC
2005 Outback 2.5, BRC

SubaruFan

#4 Post by SubaruFan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm

One other thing with Subaru's in general - they do seem to use a bit of oil. Maybe because they're flat, I don't know. It's not excessive, or a problem, but be aware. Check weekly and don't wait for the oil light.
2010 Outback 3.6R, BRC
2005 Outback 2.5, BRC

LPGC
Installer

#5 Post by LPGC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 pm

I've converted dozens of Subarus to LPG, all models, and fixed the LPG systems on many converted elsewhere.. often when they never ran properly on LPG since the day LPG they were converted.
The H6's are OK on BRC but there are better suited systems for the H6. Some Subaru's (e.g. twinscroll turbos) will always have driveability issues on LPG when fitted with certain BRC kit such as Sequent32. More than a few owners on UKegacy forum regret having BRC Seq32 fitted, they never ran properly from day one, their fitters don't know what the problem is and BRC's tech support guy doesn't know what the problem is. Some owners have spent many weeks without their car while their LPG installer and/or the tech support guy to the installer had their vehicle trying to fix it but still didn't fix it. I know what the problem is... And one owner is due to come to me to have his BRC system removed and replaced with an LPG system that will work properly.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

david1972

#6 Post by david1972 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm

LPGC wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Hello sir, it was not me I'm afraid - just a co-incidence.

Would the £1500 mark mentioned by others be in the right ballpark?

Thank you

david1972

#7 Post by david1972 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

SubaruFan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm
One other thing with Subaru's in general - they do seem to use a bit of oil. Maybe because they're flat, I don't know. It's not excessive, or a problem, but be aware. Check weekly and don't wait for the oil light.
Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

I'm on my 4th one now (Forester, Outback, Impreza WRX, Impreza STI) and I've always been wary of this. Have to say that these 4 have hardly used a drop between services at all. I might just have been lucky, but who knows.

rich r

#8 Post by rich r » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 am

I never had any issues really with oil consumption on any of my Legacys either - that's a 1996 Legacy GTB twin turbo, a 1996 Legacy 2.2 GXS manual, a 1996 Legacy 2.2 GX saloon (on LPG) and the 2004 Outback 3.0Rn (on LPG). However particularly the H6 can wear if oil changes are neglected.

My Outback 3.0Rn (converted by Simon) ran flawlessly for years on LPG. Sadly I part exchanged it last week as my job changed and I'm only doing about 6 miles a day now rather than 60. That meant fuel economy was poor and the LPG system was barely switching over before I was parking at the railway station when it's cold.

So I'm afraid to say I'm currently LPG-less, driving a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It's still classes as an alternative fuel car though :) It means that on a £1.40 charge at the weekend I can drive to the station all week and use zero petrol. Then at the weekend I can drive longer distances if I want using a combination of petrol and generated electricity. I'll still hang around here though as I may well come back to LPG if my circumstances change again...
-
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (electric/petrol)
1991 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWB (WVO)
2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)
(previously 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0Rn auto (LPG))

LPGC
Installer

#9 Post by LPGC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:08 pm

david1972 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm
LPGC wrote:

Thank you
Hello...

I'd charge a bit more that that for this model but not outside the ball park, send me a PM if you like?

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

david1972

#10 Post by david1972 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

LPGC wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:08 pm
david1972 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm
LPGC wrote:

Thank you
Hello...

I'd charge a bit more that that for this model but not outside the ball park, send me a PM if you like?

Simon
Thank you Simon - rest assured I will once we find the right car :D

david1972

#11 Post by david1972 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

rich r wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 am
I never had any issues really with oil consumption on any of my Legacys either - that's a 1996 Legacy GTB twin turbo, a 1996 Legacy 2.2 GXS manual, a 1996 Legacy 2.2 GX saloon (on LPG) and the 2004 Outback 3.0Rn (on LPG). However particularly the H6 can wear if oil changes are neglected.

My Outback 3.0Rn (converted by Simon) ran flawlessly for years on LPG. Sadly I part exchanged it last week as my job changed and I'm only doing about 6 miles a day now rather than 60. That meant fuel economy was poor and the LPG system was barely switching over before I was parking at the railway station when it's cold.

So I'm afraid to say I'm currently LPG-less, driving a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. It's still classes as an alternative fuel car though :) It means that on a £1.40 charge at the weekend I can drive to the station all week and use zero petrol. Then at the weekend I can drive longer distances if I want using a combination of petrol and generated electricity. I'll still hang around here though as I may well come back to LPG if my circumstances change again...
We had a PHEV on lease from 2014-2017. Decided against retaining it as it became temperamental on the charging front. Probably more of an issue with the cable than the car, but it wasn't loved enough for us to investigate that.

LPGC
Installer

#12 Post by LPGC » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:46 am

david1972 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm
Thank you Simon - rest assured I will once we find the right car :D
OK David, good luck finding a car.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

3sGTE

#13 Post by 3sGTE » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:22 pm

On the subject of Subaru... How do the turbo models respond to LPG? particularly the later 2.5's in the Impreza WRX/STi.

LPGC
Installer

#14 Post by LPGC » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 pm

3sGTE wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:22 pm
On the subject of Subaru... How do the turbo models respond to LPG? particularly the later 2.5's in the Impreza WRX/STi.
Like any other port injected vehicle they're not a problem if converted with suitable components, installed, setup and calibrated properly. And an electronic forced lube system is fitted (and not of a type that shoves liquid lube fluid through LPG vapour injectors).

The problems occur when installers get one or more of those aspects wrong. If they get 'suitable components' wrong it will also at least prevent them getting 'calibrated' right. Components include the ECU - some installers (all of whom advise/fit the same brand ECU on just about everything they convert) have had problems converting twin scroll turbo models. The problem with their favourite ECU(s) on twin scroll turbo models (which we could say makes this ECU incompatible with the car) is that the ECU only has a manifold pressure sensor connected during calibration time which is removed after calibration. This ECU supposedly learns what the manifold pressure is at a given rpm and a given pinj (over a wide range of rpms and pinjs) during calibration time, then after calibration when the map sensor is disconnected it can look up supposed manifold pressure from what it's learned during calibration, compare the assumed manifold pressure to gas pressure and calculate delta pressure (working pressure, gas pressure less manifold pressure). The problem is that the boost comes in quickly on these cars and the ECU doesn't stand much chance of learning manifold pressure for given rpm/pinj at the onset of boost, which means that the ECU incorrectly compensates ginj for delta pressure versus reference pressure, which means rather incorrect fuelling at the onset of boost, which means hesitation/misfires/flat spots. And no amount of twiddling ECU settings can overcome the issue.

Seems quite a few installers all fitting that same brand, and that brand's main tech support guy, have all spent plenty time trying to sort the symptoms (sometimes while their customers had to go without their car for weeks at a time because the installer / tech guy had the car), none have managed to sort the issue, I doubt any even know why unless they read my explanation on a(nother) relevant forum before my posts on that forum were deleted. In all likelihood if any of them are reading this they just learned something lol (and then should stop advising that ECU for that car and/or claiming that ECU is a great unit. But I wouldn't hold my breath!). My posts on that forum were deleted by a mod because an owner who I'd helped and who I explained the problems to, an owner who's car still didn't run properly on LPG a year after it was converted and who'd gone without his car for weeks at a time during that year, took exception to my explaining that his installers didn't understand the problem. Even after all the messing around he'd had by his installer and the tech guy he still didn't want to hear a bad word about his lacking installer.. because the installer and tech guy 'had stuck by him'. Which reminds me - one of the owners is due to come in to have his said brand system (or at least ECU) removed and suitable bits fitted by me.

Edit - Apologies for some repetition here from my post #5. Been a busy period since that post, done and written lots, that's my excuse anyway lol.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,