Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost on LPG

dutch72

Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost on LPG

#1 Post by dutch72 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Hello everyone, I’m new here.

I’m in love with the F150 and I’m buying one. I like the 3.5 ecoboost quite a lot. Although I live in Europe and I need to convert to LPG.
I was at a car dealer the other day, and he said the 3.5 ecoboost has huge problems running on LPG. Because it is twin turbo charged. And things don't work well with that engine and LPG. Something about durability.
Can you help understand what’s that about?

Thanks,
George

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost on LPG

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm

The turbo's won't affect running on LPG as long as the system is calibrated properly, it's more likely that Ford tend to use something only slightly harder than butter for their valve seats so it will suffer VSR very quickly. A decent valve lube system is a must on any modern Ford engine
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

dutch72

#3 Post by dutch72 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am

Thanks Gillbertd.
I'm not much of an engine guy. The valve lube system you mention, what is it exactly. Something already in the vehicle or am I to install that along with the LPG etc.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 am

Originally petrol had lead added to it but these days it has a lead substitute that lubricates the valve seats so they don't burn away (see http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/VSR.html). As LPG is a dry fuel, it doesn't have the lead or lead substitute so can cause VSR. Some manufacturers use a grade of steel that doesn't actually need the lube, others use something that might need it while Ford have gone for a grade of steel that can only just cope as long as the lube is there. When Ford were doing a factory fitted LPG Focus, the engines they used had different cylinder heads with harder valve seats for this very reason. So if you are converting a Ford you must fit a valve lube system as the same time. Flashlube is one of the better known brands. This injects a small amount of lubricant with the LPG and protects the valve seats. Most Japanese manufactured engines also suffer in the same way and a test carried out on an LPG converted Honda, without a lube system, had burnt away the valve seats within 10,000 miles.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

dutch72

#5 Post by dutch72 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:38 pm

@Gilbertd that's as clear as it gets.

Many thanks

LPGC
Installer

#6 Post by LPGC » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Valve lube systems are standard affair that should be fitted on all Fords and Jap stuff, the real question mark over converting the 3.5 Ecoboost is whether parts are available - Ford Ecoboost(s) are direct injection engines, direct injection engines can only be converted with LPG kit that is specifically made (or at least LPG ECU firmware made) to suit the engine code.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

dutch72

#7 Post by dutch72 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 am

That's good to know.
Would you have a shop in mind I can ask directly about converting the ecoboost to LPG?

LPGC
Installer

#8 Post by LPGC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm

ECUs to suit the engine are in production.. supposedly anyway.. It's whether or not there are any available to buy off a shelf or available soon from another production run. You might try TinleyTech and LPGShop.
I am a professional LPG convertor, wouldn't advise fitting the system yourself, the engine makes a lot of power (which can bring it's own problems), installs on DI engines are more fiddly to calibrate than port injection setups, very likely that I wouldn't advise the usual bits a supplier might advise for this engine (besides the DI ECU), a supplier won't know better than me.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon