Can I decant from Safefill refillable container to my vehicle

greyhound

Can I decant from Safefill refillable container to my vehicle

#1 Post by greyhound » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Hi
To some this may seem a silly question, but being very much a novice at LPG issues....but here goes

Can I decant (transfer from container to car) LPG from a Safefill Refillable container in to my vehicle. I am trying to save on travelling and cost, to enable me to store the container in my garage and fill up from the container.

If so can anyone recommend links I could view, for the right accessories I would need, and best, cheapest place to purchase....Safefill Containers etc

many thanks

appreciate your help

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Can I decant from Safefill refillable container to my vehicle

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Only if you have a pump or want to risk heating the refillable container. If the vehicle tank is completely empty there will be no pressure in it but as soon as any vapour gets in there the pressures in the two tanks will equalise so there will be nothing to cause the liquid to flow from one to the other.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

greyhound

#3 Post by greyhound » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Ok thanks for that,, the only other option is changing the tank for a larger one. I have a 3.5 nissan murano, I think i have a 30 litre at present which is in the spare wheel boot space, anyone know if they come any bigger, I use the boot just for storage etc, and for a dog,

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm

30 litre? I didn't realise you could get them that small! That is a complete waste, you'll be lucky to get 100 miles range out of that. Did the car originally have a tiny space saver spare so the well is small? Your options would be either a larger spare wheel well tank and raise the boot floor or just fit a cylinder tank in the boot. I suspect Simon has converted the odd Murano so should know what will fit. He'll no doubt be along soon.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:03 pm

There is also the possibility of fitting a second tank - leaving the existing one in place. There are a whole assortment of sizes and valve arrangements, for some idea look at https://tinleytech.co.uk/product-category/lpg-tanks/ just work out what space you have spare, and then what you can fit in.

Largest safefill cylinder i can see is only 10kg - or about 20 litres, not really enough to be useful for your purpose and at £172 ( https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/safefill-larg ... -cylinder/ ) plus the cost of a suitable pump (example on Tinley Tech > https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts ... -lpg-mk-1/ ) would be more sensible to look at the tank (either replace it with a bigger one, or add another somewhere to the vehicle). That way you don't have to mess around moving lpg between bottles and the vehicle as well, just fill it up and drive it.

The other thing i notice is you mention you think you have a 30 litre tank - are you sure it is 30 litres? (it should have a water capacity shown on it somewhere - either stamped onto the tank itself, or will be shown on the certificate the tank came with if you have it). If you subtract 20% from the water capacity, this will give you your lpg capacity. If its got the wrong valve for example this can cause it to stop filling prematurely (the valve will have a tank size stamped onto it, if you can find that and either take a photo and post it here along with the tank details, or interpret it yourself then that should tell if its the right valve, note that tanks come in different varieties, so would need to know where the valve is located on the tank - a photo should be enough to tell on that if your not sure)

greyhound

#6 Post by greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks for the very helpful replies, will check out the size again and take a photo, may take a while.....I have half the garden in it at present.....will explore all possibilities, maybe an additional tank /replace original with larger one
whatever is the most cost effective I live in Kent, anyone know any places

Many Thanks

LPGC
Installer

#7 Post by LPGC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Gilbertd wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 pm
I suspect Simon has converted the odd Murano so should know what will fit. He'll no doubt be along soon.
Last time I converted a Nissan Murano was in 2012 and it was a 2005 model, fitted a 78 litre tank in the spare wheel well.

I've converted far more Vauxhall Monaro's than Nissan Murano's... But continue to convert a lot of other model Nissans.

Greyhound - Are you waiting until you've actually run out of gas before refuelling or are you presuming the tank is nearly empty when the LPG level gauge reads empty? ...Have you ever tried seeing how far you can get on LPG before it really runs out and automatically switches back to petrol and then seen how many litres the tank will take?
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

greyhound

#8 Post by greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks Gilbertd,

I wait until the lpg is showing red before filling.......my mistake it is a 60 litre tank but only fills up to 40 litres (losing 20%) so perhaps I should let it drain and go back to petrol....good idea, I will set the mileage next time I fill up.

I have managed to contact the original supplier who has given me a rough ball park figure for supply and fit an extra tank of around £600,, this is either to go on top of the original tank (Toroidal), and make an extra shelf space or wheel arch to wheel arch cylinder.....any thoughts anyone

greyhound

#9 Post by greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:31 pm

sorry thanks LPGC

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#10 Post by Gilbertd » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:50 pm

600 quid! He's having a laugh. Just over 200 for a decent sized tank and multivalve and very little work to swap. If you fit a taller toroidal in the spare wheel well, you can put 4 lengths of timber around it and raise the boot floor if you need to. Losing a couple of inches of boot height will allow you to fit a much larger tank.

greyhound

#11 Post by greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi Gilbertd

I thought as much, I am happy to travel to get it fitted, if you could point me in the right direction please...am happy to pm if needs be.........its not urgent I hasten to add and would be happy to send photos of the space I have, but a taller Toroidal sound a good idea

Many Thanks

LPGC
Installer

#12 Post by LPGC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

The 60 litre tank your installer fitted should take 48 litres empty to full, the 78 litre tank I fitted on the Munaro I mentioned above should take 62.4 litres empty to full... Only 14 litres difference there.

I didn't note the dimensions of the tank I fitted but know it was GZWM brand, 30 degree valve fitment and 78 litres... and given that info the tank I fitted would either have measured 680x270 or 720x250. You wouldn't find a much taller tank than 270mm in 680mm diameter (or at least not in stock). I think at one time 680x330 were available but probably Irene brand which are no longer available. Might drop on a 680x300 TMS 87L tank but suppliers are out of stock.
If 720 diameter you'd be able to get hold of a 720x300 or maybe even a 720x330 or 720x350... But obviously you couldn't fit a 720mm diameter tank in a wheel well that isn't that wide.
Your tank will have a plate with it's dimensions stamped in, this may be under the central valve cover on your tank... or just accurately measure it's diameter and the space between the tank and sides of your wheel well, or measure up your wheel well.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

greyhound

#13 Post by greyhound » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

Just found the certificate my existing tank is a GZWM NR/00311 62 litres...... Emere Multivalve

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#14 Post by Brian_H » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Run it to empty so it switches back to petrol, then fill it and see what it takes. Should be around 50 litres you get in that if its filling completely.

greyhound

#15 Post by greyhound » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks Brian H, will do