Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 V6 Auto conversion

MartinP

Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 V6 Auto conversion

#1 Post by MartinP » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 V6 Auto conversion.

The conversion was carried out by P & T Autogas in Macclesfield. They had the car for one week. It runs well and I have no complaints about the work. It does about 4 miles per litre of LPG around town. This may seem poor but it equates to about 18mpg and the car often does less than 24mpg on petrol. I anticipate getting better mpg on a long run. Curiously, the MPG computer still gives plausible readings for instantaneous and average. I don't understand how this is possible! I thought that the petrol simply circulates at normal pump pressure. Maybe the ECU is basing its calculation on injector opening times, rather than using a flow meter?

MartinP

#2 Post by MartinP » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:28 pm

I should add that before I got this system fitted (my son talked me into it) I knew nothing about the subject. I searched for information and found quite a lot here (and other sites). What I couldn't find, however, was photos of a modified Vectra, showing the various bits.

Consequently, I have compiled my own photo gallery here:
http://www.glodark.com/LPG/

This forum is a great idea, by the way. I hope my little contribution will help someone else.
Last edited by MartinP on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinP

#3 Post by MartinP » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:33 pm

I forgot to mention the cost. It came to around £1900 including VAT. I don't ever expect to break even. The car is old and I'll probably scrap it or wreck it in less than 3 years. My last one died (Cavalier 2.5 auto) when the Vauxhall-fitted replacement cam belt snapped after 35,000 miles. At the time, the official service interval was 80,000 miles!

Anyway, I had the conversion done as an experiment.
The tank capacity is quoted as 60 litres. That should give more than 200 miles, I guess.