Kangoo van, relay rattling noise, not switching over to lpg

Ecss

Kangoo van, relay rattling noise, not switching over to lpg

#1 Post by Ecss » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Hi guys, I have a kangoo van 1.2 petrol/lpg, 02 number plate and I had no problems with it until recently. It started with not switching from petrol to lpg, but switching it on /off eventually it was coming on. Then one morning I switched it on from petrol to lpg and noticed some rattling noise coming from a mini changeover relay(that's the relay next to safety relay), and it developed another fault- engine management symbol appeared on a panel. I replaced that noisy relay but no deference, obviously wasn't the fault. The van engine runs OK on petrol.
Any ideas what the problem can be? Appreciate your help and advise, thanks, Edgar

rossko
Installer

Re: Kangoo van, relay rattling noise, not switching over to

#2 Post by rossko » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 pm

First guess, gas system earthing point, green contacts on power feed fuse , or yukky flying wires to battery posts.
www.blazegas.com

Ecss

#3 Post by Ecss » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks rossko, I will check them tomorrow.

Ecss

#4 Post by Ecss » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks once again rossko. Obviously you know what you are talking about. You were quite right, the connection on negative side(not the main clamp but earth cable) of the battery was finger tight. I didn't spot at first, because a clamp on the battery was properly on and tight. I checked everything else you advised, but no luck. Then I checked once more the earth cable on the battery and I noticed it's moving. As soon as I tightened the connection, no more relay noise, it's working OK.
Perfect advise, thanks rossko.
I am still having that engine management symbol on a dashboard, what that could mean?

rossko
Installer

#5 Post by rossko » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Lucky guess I assure you, but luck is ever helped by "seen it before"

Sometimes lights go out after 'N' starts without new errors, but the original code will still be logged internally.

Might be a coincidence, and indicate something completely unrelated.

There isn't much can be said or done about it without an OBD reader.
www.blazegas.com