crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 136p?

Message
Author
gasbo
New member
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 pm

crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 136p?

#1 Post by gasbo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm

according to my calculations petrol should be 120p max..i think someone or something is taking motorists for a ride...when are motorists going to stand up for themselves and refuse to pay it?

mat_fenwick
Intermediate Member
Posts: 928
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am
Location: North Wales

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#2 Post by mat_fenwick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:44 pm

gasbo wrote:when are motorists going to stand up for themselves and refuse to pay it?
When we get an alternative means of transport to fall back on that doesn't require fossil fuels. If I don't drive to work, I don't get paid. If I don't get paid I don't eat and can't pay the mortgage. I don't like paying so much; but what can I do?
Another member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club

gasbo
New member
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#3 Post by gasbo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:28 pm

mat_fenwick wrote:
gasbo wrote:when are motorists going to stand up for themselves and refuse to pay it?
When we get an alternative means of transport to fall back on that doesn't require fossil fuels. If I don't drive to work, I don't get paid. If I don't get paid I don't eat and can't pay the mortgage. I don't like paying so much; but what can I do?

you pay what its worth..it can now be proven that the price is very wrong so act like a man instead of the sheep out there and stand up for your rights...if more people did the price would soon fall but its the 'FEAR' factor...if i step out of line the nasty government will prosecute me...err who voted for the nasty government? they are paid by our taxes to serve us not rip us off

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7974
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I think you're on the wrong forum. We're here because we don't use petrol so don't give a monkeys how much it costs. In fact, the more it costs the better as it means we're saving more.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

N_Willmott
New member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#5 Post by N_Willmott » Wed May 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Given the recent news about price rigging and fixing I think gasbo may be right about his conspiracies :)

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7974
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#6 Post by Gilbertd » Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm

N_Willmott wrote:I think gasbo may be right about his conspiracies :)
If he is, it'll be a first......
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

User avatar
john_d
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Cardenden, Fife

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#7 Post by john_d » Wed May 15, 2013 6:28 pm

gasbo wrote:you pay what its worth
fill up yer tank and say here's 50 notes, thats all its worth?
Subaru Impreza WRX

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#8 Post by majorlee » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 am

i have been asking fuel stations recently....


what if i only pay for the fuel and not the tax which only goes to pay off bank debt for the loans paying for the government services, this is how it works currently


obviously im getting very strange looks!

start questioning everything, im always the first to take them on when crude prices fall and the stations price has not, if u saw over the last few weeks supermarkets stations said they were lowering by a few pence and various promotions when they should have knocked it back over 10p a litre

its all a scam folks

User avatar
john_d
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Cardenden, Fife

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#9 Post by john_d » Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 am

majorlee wrote:i have been asking fuel stations recently....


what if i only pay for the fuel and not the tax which only goes to pay off bank debt for the loans paying for the government services, this is how it works currently
try it and drive away, you'd get a knock on your door within an hour i'd guess.
Subaru Impreza WRX

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#10 Post by majorlee » Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 pm

john_d wrote:
majorlee wrote:i have been asking fuel stations recently....


what if i only pay for the fuel and not the tax which only goes to pay off bank debt for the loans paying for the government services, this is how it works currently
try it and drive away, you'd get a knock on your door within an hour i'd guess.

being dis-honest is not my game

but asking questions and standing up against golith is :)

rossko
Installer
Posts: 8094
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 6:51 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#11 Post by rossko » Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 am

majorlee wrote:obviously im getting very strange looks!
Im not suprised. Have you recruited many forecourt cashiers to the revolution, or are they the goliath that needs taking down? Bit confused meself .. ;)
www.blazegas.com

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#12 Post by majorlee » Fri May 24, 2013 7:05 pm

rossko wrote:
majorlee wrote:obviously im getting very strange looks!
Im not suprised. Have you recruited many forecourt cashiers to the revolution, or are they the goliath that needs taking down? Bit confused meself .. ;)

seem like some people are just dandy with getting butt fucked by the system, most people defend it too.....when it rarly serves them

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7974
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#13 Post by Gilbertd » Fri May 24, 2013 7:49 pm

majorlee wrote:when it rarly serves them
Just like moaning about the price to the forecourt cashier. Do you also expect the cashier behind the tills at Tesco to give you a discount because you don't like the prices they are charging you for a tin of beans? The price is the price, no matter what it is. You either pay it, go without or go somewhere cheaper. If you, and a considerable number of others, were writing constantly to the Chief Executives of Shell, BP, Texaco, etc, then you probably still wouldn't have an effect, you'd just be written off as a bunch of nutters.

One garage near me was selling LPG at 10p a litre more than at a Flogas depot (who actually supply the garage) just down the road and 6p a litre more than a Shell station a mile or so away. So what did I do? Complain to the cashier? No, what good would that do, the cashier doesn't set the price. I simply stopped going there and so did quite a few others. After a couple of weeks, the price came down. That's the only way you can get prices to fall, by not using a particular supplier. But, if all the other suppliers are charging the same, and no matter how much people complain they still buy it, do you seriously think anything is going to change?
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#14 Post by majorlee » Sun May 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Gilbertd wrote:
majorlee wrote:when it rarly serves them
Just like moaning about the price to the forecourt cashier. Do you also expect the cashier behind the tills at Tesco to give you a discount because you don't like the prices they are charging you for a tin of beans? The price is the price, no matter what it is. You either pay it, go without or go somewhere cheaper. If you, and a considerable number of others, were writing constantly to the Chief Executives of Shell, BP, Texaco, etc, then you probably still wouldn't have an effect, you'd just be written off as a bunch of nutters.

One garage near me was selling LPG at 10p a litre more than at a Flogas depot (who actually supply the garage) just down the road and 6p a litre more than a Shell station a mile or so away. So what did I do? Complain to the cashier? No, what good would that do, the cashier doesn't set the price. I simply stopped going there and so did quite a few others. After a couple of weeks, the price came down. That's the only way you can get prices to fall, by not using a particular supplier. But, if all the other suppliers are charging the same, and no matter how much people complain they still buy it, do you seriously think anything is going to change?

u assume i moan to them? i guess this is your general outlook on people huh

i engage people on a level where they can understand and tbh most people are realy sick of the way they are being shafted currently, its rare to find someone who is happy with the way these matters are heading towards

when i last talked to a local lpg station they were agreeing with me and laughing, we talked about the suppliers and when the local sainsburys knocked down the price they talked to thioer suppliers and they did the same thing and matched the lower price - so YEAh things do change if you engage people about it!

try and stay more positive and u might bring some decent changes into your life too :)

User avatar
john_d
Site Admin
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: Cardenden, Fife

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#15 Post by john_d » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 pm

majorlee wrote:try and stay more positive and u might bring some decent changes into your life too :)
can't wait for Richard's reply to that! :lol:

the price is advertised before you enter the forecourt, if you don't like it go else where but the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter who you moan or complain to the price is only going 1 way, i predict a £1.40 ppl average by the end of the year (currently £1.30ppl where i live).
Subaru Impreza WRX

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7974
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#16 Post by Gilbertd » Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 am

majorlee wrote:i have been asking fuel stations recently....
Well if you haven't been moaning to the checkout operator or the guy sweeping the sand that's been dumped over the pool of diesel that some dickhead has just spilt all over the forecourt, who are you talking to? You'll rarely find anyone more senior than that at a filling station and they don't have any influence over the prices they charge. Shell, BP, etc are the ones that set the prices so unless it was you that squealed to the EU ombudsman that caused them to raid their head offices, then you may as well moan to the nearest brick wall.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#17 Post by majorlee » Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm

john_d wrote:

the price is advertised before you enter the forecourt.

what if its not advertized? legally speaking?

the local garage says Texaco stops them from advertizing the LPG since its from a 3rd party supplier, im swear by law they must advertize the price and not just on the pump....


you must have some idiots up north by the replies, funny i always found peoples up there friendly enganging and open minded than the south...oh well, maybe its what you attract

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#18 Post by majorlee » Mon May 27, 2013 1:41 pm

United Kingdom fuel duty


From 23 March 2011 the UK duty rate for the road fuels unleaded petrol, diesel, biodiesel and bioethanol is GB£0.5795 per litre (£2.63 per imperial gallon or £2.19 per U.S. gallon).[8]

Value Added Tax at 20% is also charged on the price of the fuel and on the duty. An additional vehicle excise duty, depending on a vehicle's CO2 production per kilometre, which depends directly on fuel consumption, is also levied.

Diesel for use by farmers and construction vehicles is coloured red (Red Diesel) and has a much reduced tax, currently GB£0.1133 per litre (£0.52 per imperial gallon or £0.43 per U.S. gallon).[8]

Jet fuel used for international aviation attracts no duty, and no VAT.[9]



was no mention of LPG on wiki?



Hydrocarbon oil duty (also fuel duty and fuel tax) is fuel tax levied on some the price of some fuels used by most road vehicles in the United Kingdom; with exceptions for local bus services, some farm and construction vehicles and aviation which pay reduced or no fuel duty.

The government revenue from Fuel Duty in 2009 was £25.894 billion, with a further £3.884 billion being raised from the VAT on the duty contributing some 4% to the total UK tax revenues.[1] The Fuel Price Escalator, which was introduced in 1993 was abandoned after the disruptive fuel tax protests of 2000.

majorlee
New member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#19 Post by majorlee » Mon May 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Fuel Duty rates**
Fuel On and after 23 March 2011
Unleaded petrol 0.5795
Heavy oil (diesel) 0.5795
Biodiesel 0.5795
Bioethanol 0.5795
Avtur used for private pleasure flying 0.5795
Light oil (other than unleaded petrol or aviation gasoline) 0.6767
Aviation gasoline (Avgas) 0.3770
Light oil delivered to an approved person for use as furnace fuel 0.1070
Marked gas oil 0.1114
Fuel oil 0.1070
Heavy oil other than fuel oil, gas oil or kerosene used as fuel 0.1070
Kerosene to be used as fuel in an engine, other than in a road vehicle or for heating 0.1114
Biodiesel for non-road use 0.1114
Biodiesel blended with gas oil for non-road use 0.1114
Road fuel natural gas (NG), including biogas (£ per kg) 0.2470
Road fuel gas other than NG - eg liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) (£ per kg) 0.3161

Gilbertd
Advanced Member
Posts: 7974
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:00 am
Location: Peterborough

Re: crude brent oil now below $100...so how come petrol is 1

#20 Post by Gilbertd » Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm

majorlee wrote:the local garage says Texaco stops them from advertizing the LPG since its from a 3rd party supplier, im swear by law they must advertize the price and not just on the pump....
That's right, if you go to a Texaco filling station the price is on the pump and the pump will also be marked with 'Not a Texaco product'. A local Texaco filling station is supplied by the local Flogas depot and it was this one that was selling at 10p a litre more. Not a bad markup in anyone's book. After they found they were selling hardly any, they dropped the price to 2p more than the Flogas depot. I don't think there is any law that says they have to advertise (not advertize) the price outside as long as it is on the product. If there was, you'd need a bloody big sign outside of Tescos......
majorlee wrote:you must have some idiots up north by the replies, funny i always found peoples up there friendly enganging and open minded than the south...oh well, maybe its what you attract
I don't consider myself in the north, I'm south of the Wash, but I've often found people from the south, particularly Londoners, to be almost as insular as Americans......
majorlee wrote:was no mention of LPG on wiki?
Maybe if you checked and got the information straight from the horses mouth so to speak, you be posting up to date information http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tiin/new-clause-fuel-duty.pdf
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Post Reply