Replacing Magic 3 on Range Rover? Like for like?

KILOCHARLIE

Replacing Magic 3 on Range Rover? Like for like?

#1 Post by KILOCHARLIE » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Need to put in a new reducer on my 2003 L322 after the current Magic 3 has had it. The temp sensor had a loose connection which I proceeded to break completely while attempting to fix it. Then I lost a top bolt from it somewhere in the engine bay which I cannot source anywhere despite my efforts. Therefore it looks like it will be a replacement I'm after.

Shall I just get a like for like magic 3 reducer or something else? Apart from the latest problems it has served me well. Mpg was quite low at motorway speeds but was decent around town and also the power of the car felt no different to petrol. Is there anything I should consider when choosing a reducer?

Grateful for any advice as I'm quite a newbie to the lpg game so would appreciate it. As much as I'd like to keep cost down, I don't mind spending extra on something better if I'll get more mpg or any additional benefits.

Thanks all

rossko
Installer

Re: Replacing Magic 3 on Range Rover? Like for like?

#2 Post by rossko » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:44 pm

It's so much easier like-for-like, else nothing mates up.
It will need adjustment, so usually need access to the software to read pressure. If you don't know what it was set to before, it is harder. You can try and tweak pressure to get it running in the right area, or start over setting up the system from scratch.
www.blazegas.com

KILOCHARLIE

#3 Post by KILOCHARLIE » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks bud. Good advice. Isn't the pressure controlled by the allen screw fitting on the very top of the reducer? If not do you know what this is? It is attached inside to the spring so will change how high the rubber seal can go. Thanks again.

LPGC
Installer

#4 Post by LPGC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Yes, pressure is controlled with that allen socket.

Tell us what injectors you have fitted, and if you can check - tell us what size nozzles are fitted in your injectors, and we can guestimate what pressure the reducer should be set at.

The reducer will come preset at 0.9 bar, it can be adjusted to a max of about 1.5 / 1.5 bar by unscrewing the allen socket. Most likely (can confirm this when you answer the above), best results will be had with pressure set at the reducers full 1.4 / 1.5 bar pressure. Better to err on the side of too much pressure for your application / reducer combination. When you have reached the highest pressure setting, you will hear a click when unscrewing the allen socket (this is the screw coming off the threads inside the reducer), further unscrewing will not increase pressure further. To ensure maximum pressure, unscrew until you hear the click then unscrew until the point is reached just before you hear another click...

Simon
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon