EML light on motorway

sal_7

EML light on motorway

#1 Post by sal_7 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 am

Hi all, my car is fiesta 1.4 lpg converted, it drives fine when driving local but whenever I take it on the moterway going up to 80mph the engine management light comes on, it doesn’t effect the driving well not that I can notice but when I drive local and do around 15/20 miles of local driving the light will go off only to come back on when am on the moterway speeding up to 80mph can anyone please advise me why this is happening and what the problem could be.

Thanks

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: EML light on motorway

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Your best bet is going to be to plug an OBD code reader in and read the fault codes. That will tell you why it is bringing the EML on.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

sal_7

#3 Post by sal_7 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, will be getting it checked altho by time I get to take it to the garage the light seems to go off, so thought I’d ask if anyone had any idea what it possibly could be due to.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Although the light will be off, the codes will still be stored so can be seen. I would suspect it is going to be a fuel trim problem, mixture either too lean or too rich when cruising so the fuel trims will be maxing out one way or another. The cure is almost certainly to get the LPG system calibrated so it doesn't do it, but knowing why is half way to a cure. Any idea what LPG system is fitted?
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#5 Post by Brian_H » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:18 pm

With it being a Ford you can usually get the codes read with a basic code reader with no issues - might depend on the year involved, but you should find one like this to be ok. Given you have an EML light suggests yours should be new enough to be accessed without major problems
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scanner-Engine ... 072HF3SXN/
Also its possible to use an app like Torque with a bluetooth adaptor plugged into the car obd port to access the fault codes, this can be more useful as you can view live data that way as well, which might give more of a clue whats going wrong. Alternatively the launch c-reader would show the same sort of data as well, but the basic code reader will probabbly give you enough info (and will be cheaper than taking it to a garage - if you want someone to look at it, you'd be better giving an installer a ring and going there, as they should be able to address the fault as well as see what faults are being logged).

LPGC
Installer

#6 Post by LPGC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:10 am

Does the fault happen on petrol or only on LPG?

If it happens regardless of which fuel you're using a normal garage should not only be able to read error codes but also fix the underlying problem because this would point to a problem with the car rather than the LPG system. If it happens only when running on LPG a normal garage will be able to read the codes but not fix the underlying problem because this points to a problem with the LPG system / calbration.

If it happens only on LPG the fault code must be fuelling (LPG fuelling) related and since there are only a limited number of error codes relating to fuelling you might as well just assume one (or more) of these error codes are present and not bother wasting money at a normal garage to find out which exact one(s)... because the cure will be LPG system/calibration related anyway and the normal garage won't be able to fix the LPG system/calibration. If you've got a fuelling issue on LPG the cure is almost the same regardless of which specific fault code(s) you have. However, some Fords are prone to interpret post cat lambda readings as incorrect when running on LPG, a normal garage might think this points to you needing a new catalytic converter but that would be an expensive misdiagnosis when all you might need in this case would be a post cat lambda probe spacer.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon