flash lube bottle leaking

Bad-Alias

flash lube bottle leaking

#1 Post by Bad-Alias » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi all, anyone else have problems with the v-lube bottle leaking from around the cap, then running down the outside of the bottle?

It is never filled to the max, only 300ml, yet it still happens.

thanks
ian

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: flash lube bottle leaking

#2 Post by Brian_H » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Other than inspecting the cap and bottle for any sort of damage, nothing much i can suggest. I've always found the flashlube bottle on mine to have a layer of muck on the outside, suggesting it allows some to leak out.

LPGC
Installer

Re: flash lube bottle leaking

#3 Post by LPGC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 pm

The cap shouldn't be totally sealed anyway or a vacuum would build in the container as lube fluid was drawn out... On a long enough cruise that would probably mean the dosage rate would gradually decrease until dosage reached zero, then when the engine had been turned off for a while lube fluid would flow back into the bottle, then air, until the container reached atmospheric pressure again, and then when you next started the engine the process would repeat.

If you could make some sort of seal for the lid you'd have to drill the cap and stick a bit of pipe in the hole pointing upward and seal the pipe to the cap. There is no off-the-shelf lube system with such cap design.

There are some daft (in my informed opinion) lube system designs... Imagine having to buy a sealed with foil container that you have to shove upside down (foil at bottom) onto a spike which pierces the foil whilst you simultaneously have to twist the container onto a seal around the spike before all the lube fluid escapes... that describes part of a Prins' lube system design. Or a lube system which injects lube fluid into the gas feed pipe between the reducer and the injectors so the injectors have liquid lube fluid going through them.. with all the lube fluid going out of the injector that is lowest in the system so leading to inconsistent flow to different engine cylinders. This design also all too often seems to ruin injectors (and will affect injector performance and hence accuracy of fuelling even if it doesn't damage injectors)... this describes part of a BRC lube system design.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon