Newbie with a question!

Philip1972

Newbie with a question!

#1 Post by Philip1972 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi everyone. First visit here as I am considering delving into the power of LPG.

I am looking at 2 options, getting the car without LPG or getting one fitted.

I have seen the cost to fit is approx £1500-2000, but have seen a car with it already fitted-but has issues.

Seller says the system has been serviced, but it is running asthmatic at 4k revs and up. He "thinks" it might be a wiring issue somewhere.

Now, i know you cant tell me what is wrong, but I have a question regarding costs of fixing wiring problems.

So, is a whole load of problem tracing and the fixing of those problems likely to end up costing as much as having a new kit fitted, or less? If its less it could be worth a punt, however, if the costs of fixing are high, am I as well getting a new kitted to a different car?

Thanks for any help.

Phil

LPGC
Installer

Re: Newbie with a question!

#2 Post by LPGC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:10 pm

If it runs fine on LPG until 4k rpm it shouldn't cost a lot of money to put right.

What car is this and do you know what LPG parts are fitted?
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 pm

It may be that the car has a system fitted by one of the done in a day outfits, or by a DIYer, and has either not been fitted correctly or simply not set up correctly. Worst case, even if it needs major work, it still wouldn't cost as much as doing an install from scratch. Every car I've bought in the last 14 years has been one that has already had a system installed, two of them didn't work at all and none of the others were running as well as I wanted. None cost more than a few quid to put right.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Philip1972

#4 Post by Philip1972 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks for the replies.

I have asked which system it has, but am still waiting for thr reply.

Its a Range Rover V8 (2002). It does run OK till 4k rpm.

I think I will have a proper look based on the info you gave me, so thanks for the help!

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am

2002 could be a very late P38 or a very early L322, which is it as neither are particularly complex.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Might be worth finding out what vapouriser/regulator is fitted just to check its actually capable of supplying enough gas (as if its under specced you may need to replace some bits to get acceptable performance out of it). Would also suggest you try and find out if the certificate for the tank is available and in date just to avoid any problems when you come to insure it. even if you have to replace bits of it to make it work fully, its probably cheaper than doing a fresh install would be as long as most of the kit is usable.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#7 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Then again, worst case it needs the reducer replacing as it isn't man enough for the job, just over £100, and a set of injectors. Personally I'd go for V34's at £200 for two 4 way rails but V30s should be man enough and under £100 for a full set. Still far cheaper than a new install.

LPGC
Installer

#8 Post by LPGC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 pm

A wide range of injectors would work on a BMW4.4 but some I'd advise against because they're not as good as similar price similar design injectors and some because they wouldn't flow enough for the BMW engine at average pressures even if I'd advise them to an amateur to replace worn Bigas injectors on a Rover V8 because they have similar linearity.
Some installers, usually done in a day lot, might fit 6mm pipe which might suffice for a sequential system on a BMW4.4 this weather but might not.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon