Pt cruiser

Woodywoodpecker

Pt cruiser

#1 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi have a 2.0 litre auto cruiser converted to lpg. Brought as a non runner and had to replace blown cylinder head. Fitted new plugs and started first time but when gets warm starts popping in engine bay. Have set plugs as per manual for a petrol do i need to open or reduce gap foe a smoother running lpg car
Cheers in advance
Steve

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Pt cruiser

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm

If it has new plugs I doubt adjusting the gap will make a lot of difference. If it runs fine on petrol then you probably have a problem with the LPG system. Any idea what system it is?
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Woodywoodpecker

#3 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:43 pm

I believe it's made by stag.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Given you have had the head off, I'd be looking around the pipework to make sure none of them are kinked or restricted (from injectors to inlet manifold) as you will have had to disturb them. Might be worth confirming what plugs you've fitted (brand particually) but doubtful its related to them. It can be the sign of a coil pack starting to break down but you'd expect to notice it however slightly on petrol if so.

You might be able to tie it down a bit more if you can identify which cylinder is at fault - either via the cars obd function if you have something to connect to it, or by pinching the indivual cylinder hoses for the gas injectors so no gas can flow down them. If you can isolate it to one, you can then swap parts around to see if the fault follows a part (swap gas injector connection both electrical and hose, and see what happens).

equally if you have access to the lpg software, you might get some idea by switching cylinders between fuels, though this won't tell you if an injector is leaking for example.

Do you find any problems starting it after its been run for a while then left parked?

Woodywoodpecker

#5 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am

Starts up fine every time will put car in for lpg service as I'm sure it's never been done . Is there a user manual available on stag systems also is it worth fitting an additive systemswhile I have it serviced
Cheers

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:10 pm

Try this link for AC stag software and documents
https://www.ac.com.pl/download-center-Software

Additive - I would guess you mean a valve saver, depends on the engine in question, Don't know on those if they are prone to valve seat recession, but would expect you would have seen it if you have had the head off, if the valves were in a poor condition then it might be, but even so having a valve saver on isn't a good substitute for having it running correctly (lean running will burn the valves and could explain your popping sounds at the same time). If they were badly worn it might be worthwhile considering it, depends what you found with the head off really (and why you took it off, if it was for a blown gasket for example thats different to valve damage). I can't find any reference with a quick search on the usual list for your car, but I think someone else can probably provide input there.

Woodywoodpecker

#7 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 pm

Yep had head off as it had overheated where the electric fan had failed. Valve from old head looked fine . The popping sounds only happen when it's running on gas with petrol it's runs fine. Will take top cover off tomorrow and check leads and plugs. Thanks for all your help and advice will try to see what model stag I have do they all connect to computers or only certain model

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#8 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Pretty much every lpg system connects to a computer for calibration purposes and setup, it varies by age and make as to how easily the software and lead can be found, but the vast majority including Stag won't be a major problem to find an appropiate lead. A few odd ball ones you can't easily do anything with (micromise being one, Necam/Koltec another) but there generally isn't a need to access those for the majority of cases anyway.

Its possible also that a petrol injector isn't fully closing allowing fuel to leak and overfueling a cylinder - this can be due to a fault with the injector, or can be a fault with the wiring or lpg ecu, but narrowing down to a cylinder will help you troubleshooting that.

LPGC
Installer

#9 Post by LPGC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:00 pm

Depending on how the popping sounds it could point to anything from a disconnected gas injector pipe to leaking engine inlet valve. lots of other things it could point to besides.
Is the popping at same time as a misfire? Always present when running on gas?
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Woodywoodpecker

#10 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:43 pm

The popping only happens on pull away once going over 20 it runs fine but as soon as you stop at lights and put your foot down popping starts and it seems like there's no power untill your going over 20

Woodywoodpecker

#11 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:55 pm

My stag model is a stag 300-6 plus would one of you kind people in the know send me a link on web or eBay for the diagnostic lead I will require
Cheers steve

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#12 Post by Gilbertd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm

300-6? On a 4 cylinder engine? The PT Cruiser uses the same engine as the Chrysler Neon, so nothing special although I would have thought it would need a valvesaver of some sort.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#13 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:05 pm

The top one of the ones on this page should be what you require
https://www.lpg-kits.com/Pages/interfaces.htm

Or alternatively
https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts ... -usb-lead/

Or for a stag branded one
https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/ac-stag-usb-f ... interface/
You can also get the software from their downloads section on the same website.

Would advise you add a note when purchasing or email whoever you decide to go with to check they are the right lead you want, they all list stag 300 against them.

Hopefully Simon or Dai can confirm on the valve saver side of things?

Woodywoodpecker

#14 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for that guys have car booked in next week for service so hope they can diagnose the problem. Will still buy a lead for further adjustments if needed

LPGC
Installer

#15 Post by LPGC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Most 6 cylinder ECU's will work fine of a 4 cylinder engine (including Stag), sometimes an installer might fit a 6 cyl ECUs on a 4 cyl vehicles if that's all they had in stock at the time... but a 6 cyl ECU on a 4 cyl car does point more toward an amateur retrofit.

Stag compatible leads are the most common type of LPG interface lead, should be difficult for a supplier to get the lead wrong.

Nothing in Stag literature will help much in diagnosing any problem but might help you re-calibrate.

Often a grey area regards lubes for Chrysler engines but 2L engine codes ECC and MOT.A could both use a lube.

For engine diagnostic purposes it doesn't matter what speed the car is going, only engine rpm and load are relevant... So instead of saying 'after 20mph' it's better to state the engine rpm and how much throttle you're giving it.

Sometimes an engine will run OKish at higher rpm and/or lower engine loads when injector pipes/wires are mixed up but still run very poorly at lower rpm and/or higher loads.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#16 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Also would say its worth being aware a failing coil pack (or other ignition components) can cause the same sort of symptoms - and may fail just badly enough to appear fine on petrol, but noticeably worse on lpg. I've had them fail like that and be most noticable at idle speeds whilst appearing mostly ok at higher revs.

Woodywoodpecker

#17 Post by Woodywoodpecker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Cheers guys will check plugs leads and coil tomorrow