Romano LPG stopped working on Discovery 3

Kiredoryor

Romano LPG stopped working on Discovery 3

#1 Post by Kiredoryor » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 pm

I have a 4.4L 2004 Discovery 3 that was converted to LPG in 2013 (about 2 owners ago). From the very basic LPGNOW receipt I believe that it is a Romano System (?) with a Toroidac tank.
The system has been working fine for the 15 months I've had the vehicle during which time I've done just over 20,000 miles.
My son is temporarily using the car and has reported that the gas just cut off - earlier than expected. He filled it up (about half a tank) but it still will only work on petrol. Just cuts out soon after changing back to gas.

I must confess to not having had the LPG system serviced and no filters have been changed. I've a feeling that I'm going to be given a hard time for that......

Can anyone tell me the most likely problem and how it may be resolved.

My son lives in Kielder on the Scottish border. I live 370 miles away in Suffolk and I was hoping that he would come for Christmas! so would really appreciate a little guidance so I can sort as soon as possible.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Romano LPG stopped working on Discovery 3

#2 Post by Gilbertd » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:34 am

When it cut off did it do it in the controlled manner as if it had ran out of gas or did it just die? If the former you are probably looking at a failed solenoid valve at one end or the other so it sees no gas pressure and assumes it has run out. If the latter it could be something as simple as a dirty fuse holder.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Kiredoryor

#3 Post by Kiredoryor » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am

Gilbertd wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:34 am
When it cut off did it do it in the controlled manner as if it had ran out of gas or did it just die? If the former you are probably looking at a failed solenoid valve at one end or the other so it sees no gas pressure and assumes it has run out. If the latter it could be something as simple as a dirty fuse holder.
It beeped as it would when running out of gas. My son then pressed the button and turned to petrol. After topping up with gas he tried several times to switch back to gas and the engine just died.

Although I'm reasonably competant on simpler engines - when younger I worked on my old Standard 8, Beetles, Morris Minors etc but they really were very basic. I haven't had experience before on LPG systems so would need a little guidance on how I might test for a failed solenoid or even find which fuses relate to the system.
Your help very much appreciated.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 pm

The fuse is liable to be on a flying lead directly from the battery - as its aftermarket kit fitted its usually easy to spot that once you know what your looking for.
Solenoid coils easiest way to test is disconnect them and use a multimeter to check the resistance across them - around 16 ohms is what your looking for.

Alternatively if you can get hold of a lead and connect a laptop to the system in question, it should have diagnosics which may give you a clue what its protesting about. Your symptoms to me suggest the solenoid issue out of the two, I'd start looking there. Bear in mind that a wiring fault can cause the same sort of problem (corroded wiring leading to either solenoid coil).