lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

LPGC
Installer

Re: lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

#61 Post by LPGC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Isn't your system working now, except for the fact that the ESGI ECU relay won't power both solenoids?
If that's the case, why don't you just fit an external relay to power the solenoids with external relay switched by the ESGI solenoid output? This will mean the ESGi relay will only have to switch a tiny current and should help it last much longer than it otherwise might even if it was only switching one solenoid.
The relay in ESGI ECU's is a little unit maybe only rated at 3 amps, the ESGI standard fuse is around 10 amps. Gas injectors will draw a few amps, each solenoid coil will draw about an amp if in good condition... So the ESGI system powering injectors and powering 2 solenoids will normally draw maybe 5 amps... But if solenoid coil(s) go bad and draw more current it could mean that the little relay sees up to 7amps before the fuse blows, which would be 7 amps through a relay rated at 3amps - more than enough over-current to break or damage the little relay without blowing the system fuse.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

superkp

#62 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:19 pm

hi
could you send a link to an external relay?(im not too educated on electrics but if its simple enough I will try)
it runs really lumpy and hesitates when I press accelerator hotwired with and without the plunger.
and the rear solenoid would not click after I took out and refitted the plunger.
it was running great I remember hearing the tyre scrubbing on inner arch on full lock coming out of a parking bay.about a mile later I heard the lpg beeping on a full tank.
I checked fuses the next day and remembered the scrubbing and that the lpg supply ran out from engine bay along that route of the inner arch.
when I looked the blue wire was broken showing copper wires against the metal.Im thinking now it has shorted and caused damage.
really unlucky as the wires would be ok if they were an inch either side.

superkp

#63 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm

maybe the lumpy running may have been caused by the wire shorting out?

LPGC
Installer

#64 Post by LPGC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm

superkp wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm
maybe the lumpy running may have been caused by the wire shorting out?
It would be unusual but is possible... shorting could both damage the internal relay and cause problems with the system's main power feed and earth. If the power feed/earth were damaged due to excess current due to shorting then there may be a situation now where the LPG ECU doesn't get the necessary voltage when it needs to draw current to power the solenoids and/or injectors. ESGI software shows system voltage on screen so with the software you could see the voltage reading while running on petrol (probably around 13.8v) and see if it changes by much when you switch to gas.. it shouldn't change by much and if it does it will be because of dodgy main feed or earth, something broken internally or component(s) drawing too much current.

On main power feed and earth - the wiring for these on ESGI usually comprises a bunch of narrow gauge wires run together in the same sheath, it's possible some of these have been damaged/melted by an earlier short leaving fewer wires remaining and fewer wires might mean the system's voltage is pulled down when current starts to be drawn (switches to gas). Also, installers sometimes run separate earths to things like temp sensors and solenoid coils while leaving the system provided earth for said components still connected - what can happen with this situation is that if the main system earth is disconnected the system will still power up and work because it is still earthed by the installer's separate earth, but the installers separate earth may not be good enough to flow enough current to allow the system to run on LPG without the main earth also being connected (too much resistance so too much voltage drop). Even if the installer made a good separate earth connection for some individual component(s) the system's loom between that earth wire connection and the ECU is only designed to earth that one component so is probably too narrow gauge to earth the ECU when it is drawing current for the full LPG system... For example if the installer added a separate earth to the reducer solenoid coil, the ESGI system's loom between the solenoid coil and the ECU is only narrow gauge and we'd expect more of a voltage drop at the ECU than if the ECU had it's proper earth connection.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

superkp

#65 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:57 pm

"On main power feed and earth - the wiring for these on ESGI usually comprises a bunch of narrow gauge wires run together in the same sheath, it's possible some of these have been damaged/melted by an earlier short leaving fewer wires remaining and fewer wires might mean the system's voltage is pulled down "

that's interesting from my ecu live to battery it looks a bit frayed? I will strip the wire a solder it tomorrow just so im sure its not losing voltage.

I made my mind up to get another esgi as I know all the other bits are compatible.I will get a cable as well
the problem with a used one is they all look the same the 4,6and 8 cyls even have same number moulded on the cover. They do have a flimsy paper sticker on the side that tells if its a 4,6or8 cyl but most I have seen they have fallen off.

LPGC
Installer

#66 Post by LPGC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 pm

When you get the new ESGI ECU think about wiring in a remote relay anyway, this will protect the ECU's internals in case there is a problem with the solenoids or their wiring. But before buying the ECU you might want to get the interface cable and check voltage readings on screen, or even before you get the interface cable you could try using a multimeter to check voltage on positive feeds to LPG injectors, positive feed to solenoids (granted it seems at the moment you can only do this with one solenoid connected to it) and negative reference to sensors such as pressure sensor. Even if you get 12v on positive feeds from the ECU , if the ECU's earth is at 3v the ECU and components that get their supply and earth from the ECU will only see 12v-3v = 9v which would likely cause a problem and would point to another problem being the cause.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

superkp

#67 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 pm

yes I agree I should get a cable first

superkp

#68 Post by superkp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm

after a long wait I got the diagnostic cable.
installed drivers (automatically installed) red light shows TRIED ESGI 2 V4 software but got NO LPG CONTROLLER message?
whats the best software for this ecu?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#69 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Can be a few things, first one is try checking device manager in windows and check what com port its assigned (set a low one - 4 or lower, you can do that from within windows).

Assuming your using a usb cable given its automatically installed drivers, were drivers supplied with the cable? Sometimes these can be required for the interface to work properly (windows can get it wrong).

I don't know which software you want, but several are available from the site linked to off Tinley tech's website and lots of esgi options there (I think you might find it can depend on the version of firmware on the unit as much as the unit in some cases, Simon might have an answer there).
https://projekt-tech.com/diagnostic-programs-pm-23.html

superkp

#70 Post by superkp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:54 pm

hi
the polish ebayer who I bought the cable from linked me to the same software shown in your link but your link has a useful guide .I will try in the morning.
it set up on com 7 I have changed it to com 1

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#71 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Not sure how old the ESGI software is, but a lot of them don't look above com 4 so it may just be that causing the problem.

superkp

#72 Post by superkp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm

when my laptop usb detected the cable I was instructed by seller to choose windows update for the driver it then said com7

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#73 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Drivers should be fine, just try selecting a different port for it, you can do that from the properties of the cable (open device manager, expand ports, find the cable (probably the only device in that section unless you have a real com port on the laptop) and you can assign a different port from the properties screen.

What version of windows does your laptop run on? and is is 32 or 64 bit?

superkp

#74 Post by superkp » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm

windows 7 and I think its 32 bit

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#75 Post by Brian_H » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Thats probabbly the best possible answer to give as its most likely to work.

superkp

#76 Post by superkp » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm

I cant believe it I got 3 adapters with the cable and some software to test the lpg diagnostic cable.
it asks to plug cable into usb and watch for green light flashing, then it asks me to bridge the two centre pins on the adapter. the two adapters I wont need pass the test but the end I need wont.
is it possible I can mod one of the adapters I wont use?

LPGC
Installer

#77 Post by LPGC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 pm

3 versions of ESGI software.. V3.x, V4.x and Vblack. Black won't work on the silver metal bodied ECUs (it's for the black plastic box encased ECU's). V3.x seems more reliable than V4.x, think I usually use V3.03. Switching between ESGI software isn't a big deal, the programs don't really install they're just standalone .exe's so you can just run what you want to try without having to uninstall/reinstall anything.
I've had some problems using interface cables designed for USB2 on USB3 laptops.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

superkp

#78 Post by superkp » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 pm

the cable and adapters are ok still cant connect to ecu
is it possible the ecu is damaged and wont connect to interface?

superkp

#79 Post by superkp » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am

has anyone used test software for testing of a ccy pro interface ?
I successfully tested my interface using the software, is this proof my com2 port assigned for the cable is working ?

LPGC
Installer

#80 Post by LPGC » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am

It is possible your ECU is damaged and won't connect to an interface but that's unlikely if it's higher functions are working (which they seem to be).
Never used interface test software but I have seen plenty interface issues where the interface kind of worked a bit but didn't work properly.. and I'd expect in those cases the interfaces would have passed the test that yours did. I mentioned one example in a post above where I've had problems using interface cables on laptops that only have USB3 sockets.
Sometimes it's best to answer between the lines questions such as have you tried V3.03 software and are you plugging the interface into UBS2 or USB3 sockets.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,