lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

superkp

Re: lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

#41 Post by superkp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm

thanks for the link I will go for the one that looks similar to mine as I can loosen the bolt twist and adjust where the inlet /outlets are.
thanks to all for the help I will post when I get the parts

LPGC
Installer

#42 Post by LPGC » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:14 am

Looks very similar to some Lovato solenoids to me
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Lovato-LPG-Sol ... 637&chn=ps
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

superkp

#43 Post by superkp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:14 pm

superkp wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:20 pm
LPGC wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:56 pm
Yes the relay in the ECU could be burned out.
Might be best to try the solenoid output from the ECU for 12v directly (near the ECU, in case there is a break or short on solenoid wiring) and test during the short window of time between when the ECU switches on solenoids and switches them off (due to detecting low gas pressure). Unless you know solenoid wiring between ECU and solenoids is all good and have checked resistance etc. Each solenoid coil should be around 16Ohms so with two in parallel and both plugged in should be 8Ohms, plus maybe another 1Ohm for the resistance of the wiring, trying one at a time could show up a problem with a coil or wiring that trying both at the same time couldn't (e.g. high wire resistance with low coil resistance).
If the ECU internal relay is burned out there are workarounds without having to fix the ECU or buy a new one.
hi
as described in my recent post I managed to get it to switch to lpg using 12v from battery to power both solenoids whilst the ecu feed to solenoids was unplugged. when I get the multimeter I will check resistance.
it seems the ecu wont power both solenoids but will power tank with front powered from 12v battery. ecu WONT power front whilst tank is powered from 12v battery?

im interested in workarounds If the ECU internal relay is burned out ?
hi LPGC
when you say If the ECU internal relay is burned out there are workarounds without having to fix the ECU or buy a new one.
would this be a easy fix that I could do?

superkp

#44 Post by superkp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi
I got the new shutoff valve today. Once I fitted it I found the problem is still present.
just a reminder with the old shutoff valve I could use 12v hotwire front and rear and it switched to lpg or I could use a 12v hotwire on the front letting the ecu run the tank and it switched to lpg
it would not switch to lpg if I 12v hotwired tank letting the ecu run the front.

Now with the new shutoff valve It will only switch to lpg if I hotwire front and rear?

LPGC
Installer

#45 Post by LPGC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Will it really only run if you hotwire BOTH solenoids or will it run if you just hotwire one solenoid same as before?
What happens if you hotwire both solenoids in a different way - by applying a 12 volt feed to the ECU's solenoid output wire?

Did you check resistance between this point (again ECU solenoid output wire) and earth like I suggested earlier (one solenoid at a time connected, then both connected, also worth doing none connected)? From the info you've provided so far it seems one of the following will be the problem: Duff tank solenoid (you've replaced the front one), dodgy live connection to one or both solenoids, dodgy earth connection to one of both solenoids, a short somewhere on the wiring to a solenoid, relay in your ECU in poor condition (voltage drop across it when supplying both solenoids), dodgy main power feed or earth to the ECU.

If the relay is on it's way out (and will only power one solenoid) you could fit a slave relay that would be switched by the ECU's internal relay and carry all the current for the solenoids.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

superkp

#46 Post by superkp » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:38 pm

LPGC wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:40 pm
Will it really only run if you hotwire BOTH solenoids or will it run if you just hotwire one solenoid same as before?
What happens if you hotwire both solenoids in a different way - by applying a 12 volt feed to the ECU's solenoid output wire?

Did you check resistance between this point (again ECU solenoid output wire) and earth like I suggested earlier (one solenoid at a time connected, then both connected, also worth doing none connected)? From the info you've provided so far it seems one of the following will be the problem: Duff tank solenoid (you've replaced the front one), dodgy live connection to one or both solenoids, dodgy earth connection to one of both solenoids, a short somewhere on the wiring to a solenoid, relay in your ECU in poor condition (voltage drop across it when supplying both solenoids), dodgy main power feed or earth to the ECU.

If the relay is on it's way out (and will only power one solenoid) you could fit a slave relay that would be switched by the ECU's internal relay and carry all the current for the solenoids.
hi
yes it will only switch if both are hotwired and it runs more lumpy than the old shutoff valve, it seems as though not enough gas getting through to cylinders. I just realised the multimeter I ordered wont arrive until 2nd jan so I cant test yet. I think I will try a new tank solenoid if I can find one cheap enough I do know it works if I apply 12v as it shot out a burst of gas when it clicked.
the wires that come from ecu to solenoids are only 8 inches from front solenoid and look ok they branch out from the main harness.
if I apply 12v to ecus solenoid wire it starts sparking.
tomorrow I will make a new font to rear connection to rule out any dodgy repair.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#47 Post by Brian_H » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:27 pm

It may be down to it not managing to open the valves fully, restricting the gas flow.

It might be an idea to disconnect the rear solenoid as a test, and remove the solenoid post and take plunger out, then reassemble it without the plunger, this would allow you to prove it can run with the front one only. If you have a single hole tank with a shutoff that works, this is easy. On a 4 hole ideally you want an empty tank first else you will end up venting the tank as soon as you remove the plunger.
If it works in that state you need to do the multimeter test then consider your next step. Either repair wiring, replace rear coil or do the relay fix mentioned above. If it doesn't work in that state you still have something wrong, could be ecu acting up if its on its last legs.

superkp

#48 Post by superkp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:44 am

hi
yes it is single hole.i will try this today.do I need to turn off the yellow manual shutoff tap while I take out the plunger?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#49 Post by Gilbertd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 am

Yes, turn off the manual tap, take off the coil and unscrew the brass post. Inside that you will find a steel plunger, remove that and put the post back in. That will leave the tank solenoid permanently open so only the front one will be doing the switching.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

superkp

#50 Post by superkp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am

i removed the plunger it switched but ran lumpy hotwired and it hesitated when pressing accelerator. it wouldn't switch over to lpg from ecu. I think its the ecu.
I have seen a cheap one of these esgi ecu,s but the seller is not sure if it is 4/6 or 8 cyl they all look the same with same number stamped on the cover

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#51 Post by Brian_H » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:53 pm

superkp wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am
i removed the plunger it switched but ran lumpy hotwired and it hesitated when pressing accelerator. it wouldn't switch over to lpg from ecu. I think its the ecu.
I have seen a cheap one of these esgi ecu,s but the seller is not sure if it is 4/6 or 8 cyl they all look the same with same number stamped on the cover
I'd hope he gives some sort of guarantee it actually works, as the only way he could know is if it was on a car that was able to run on gas beforehand, which should mean he knows what car it came off?

You will need a lead and the software to download the settings and map from your current ecu before swapping it anyway.

superkp

#52 Post by superkp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Brian_H wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:53 pm
superkp wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am
I'd hope he gives some sort of guarantee it actually works, as the only way he could know is if it was on a car that was able to run on gas beforehand, which should mean he knows what car it came off?

You will need a lead and the software to download the settings and map from your current ecu before swapping it anyway.
I have used diagnostic cables and software but not lpg.
are you saying I could download my current settings then load them onto another ecu?
its been a pita but I have learned a lot with this problem.i have seen a new one for 100 euros and im tempted.
another option I have another car with same engine that has a tartarini system I may swap it over.
would I need software for doing that?one is auto the other manual

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#53 Post by Brian_H » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:00 pm

You need software (and the matching lead) for the system in question. Generally (though some exceptions exist) a lead will work for most if not all of one particular brand, alot will use the same leads, but different software. There will be a plug somewhere on the lpg loom to plug the cable into, you then need a compatible laptop to plug into and install the software on. You won't be able to take those settings to another brand of ecu though. That would be a remap required job, rest of the settings can be worked out. You'd need to identify the injectors before deciding on a replacement ecu as well (and probably a loom swap at the same time unless you can find one that uses the same loom)

You might get away swapping it across, but its not recommended to do so without recalibration, It seems both ESGI and Tartarini use the same lead you'd just the need the software (might come with the lead, me and a few others here can probably provide the software if you need it otherwise)

Bear in mind you still need to do the multimeter checks before you plug any new (or assumed good used) bits in, as if you have a shorted rear solenoid or wiring the same may happen again. Though I suspect the ecu is the prime cause of the problem it may get some more life out of it.

Given you said about hotwiring it - did you disconnect the rear wiring totally (gauge won't matter if it doesn't work, won't stop it switching) when trying to drive the front one?

superkp

#54 Post by superkp » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Imagehi
yes when I took the plunger out I wired the front solenoid from the ecu without the cable that goes to tank.it would switch if hotwired.
im I bought a tartarini lead but it has not got the same end for the esgi maybe an adapter I can buy?(see pic)
do you know of any ecu that will work on current loom?
Attachments
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG (985.59 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#55 Post by Brian_H » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Looks like one of the leads done by WTV - see here and compare to what you have, suspect its the older type tartini lead you have there.
https://www.lpg-kits.com/Pages/interfaces.htm

But if the ecu has failed that badly, unless you can find another esgi ecu theres little point in having the lead for what you have?

LPGC
Installer

#56 Post by LPGC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 pm

ESGI uses the usual East European spec lead, Stag etc compatible whether Superseal or Molex / Tartarini uses AEB standard Superseal or none standard Molex. You could use a Tartarini or standard AEB spec lead with ESGI but would have to do some pin swapping (middle two pins on Superseal, bit more complicated with Molex).

In some versions of ESGI software the save and load calibration facilities often don't work..

I'd probably think twice before taking the ESGI ECU off to fit Tartarini on your model vehicle, and not just because the reducer and vapour temp sensors might need changing.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

superkp

#57 Post by superkp » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 pm

LPGC wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 pm
ESGI uses the usual East European spec lead, Stag etc compatible whether Superseal or Molex / Tartarini uses AEB standard Superseal or none standard Molex. You could use a Tartarini or standard AEB spec lead with ESGI but would have to do some pin swapping (middle two pins on Superseal, bit more complicated with Molex).

In some versions of ESGI software the save and load calibration facilities often don't work..

I'd probably think twice before taking the ESGI ECU off to fit Tartarini on your model vehicle, and not just because the reducer and vapour temp sensors might need changing.
hi
I think I will buy a new esgi ecu £140 also get the cable for £20 that way I know everything is compatible
I need to learn how to use the cable and software ,are there any tutorials?

superkp

#58 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am

hi LPGC
when you say "You could use a Tartarini or standard AEB spec lead with ESGI but would have to do some pin swapping " could I fit an end connector that plugs into my esgi diagnostics connector on my ecu and use my cable in the photo I posted above/

superkp

#59 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 am

hi
anyone had experience with allegro in Poland its a bit like ebay ?
they have an ecu that's cheap but I have not got a clue how to contact seller

https://allegro.pl/audi-a4-sterownik-ga ... 75922.html

LPGC
Installer

#60 Post by LPGC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 pm

superkp wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am
hi LPGC
when you say "You could use a Tartarini or standard AEB spec lead with ESGI but would have to do some pin swapping " could I fit an end connector that plugs into my esgi diagnostics connector on my ecu and use my cable in the photo I posted above/
You could, it should work but it's something I haven't tried because I've always got a wide range of interface cables around including the proper ESGI cable and other cables that are natively compatible with ESGI. IIRC the proper ESGI cables only have 3 wires to the Superseal plug (I've got one here hardly used), I hardly ever used the proper ESGI cable because other cables (e.g. Stag) work with ESGi but ESGI cables with only 3 wires don't often work with other systems.
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,