lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

superkp

lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

#1 Post by superkp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:13 pm

hi my
audi v6 has the following problem,
when the car tries to switch over to lpg the bottom green light on the switch/gauge flashes and and gives off a beeping sound.

when it runs ok I can press the switch on and off and hear a click from the tank as the lpg switches. I cant hear that click and think it may be the tank soloniod.

any ideas please

superkp

Re: lpg gauge bottom green light flashing and beeping

#2 Post by superkp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:51 pm

update
I put wider wheels on my car and on full lock the tyre scrubs the inner arch(need spacers)on the inner ach are the wires that run to lpg tank.
I shone a torch and think I can see a blue wire showing copper but its 11.30 pm will take wheel off tomorrow fingers crossed its only a wire repair

superkp

#3 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:12 am

hi
just checked the blue wire running to tank solenoid sheared off. I repaired the wires but it still has the bottom green light on the switch/gauge flashes and and gives off a beeping sound fault?

could the damaged wire shorted and damaged the solenoid/

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 pm

You won't damage the solenoid but you may have blown the permanent live feed fuse or there is another break in the wire you haven't found yet. It will be trying to change over but if the solenoid doesn't operate there will be no gas pressure so it will assume you are empty.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

superkp

#5 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 pm

I checked the wiring after doing repair .current is getting to the solenoid I checked all fuses and they are good.
the fuel line is a bit worn by the tyre as well but I know it is not leaking as I loosened the nut at the tank (after turning the shutoff valve to off)
and gas leaked out for about a minute.

superkp

#6 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm

and yes the beeping is the same sound as when im on empty except the green light that flashes is normally red when empty.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#7 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Without knowing what system you have fitted, I would think a red light means it is out of gas while a green light would be showing the gauge sender is telling it there is fuel in the tank but the beeping and flashing would signify no gas pressure. You will have two solenoids, one on the tank and another on the reducer. I would suspect one or other isn't opening.

superkp

#8 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 pm

is there a way to test the solenoids?
I was advised by a fitter to isolate the wires on the tank solenoid and use 12v from battery and listen for a click. if the solenoid clicks im guessing its ok??

here are his exact words...My suggested test and what we would do if the car was here with us would be to isolate the wiring to the tank solenoid coil and power it directly from a 12 volt feed. This should activate the solenoid which you will feel a click.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#9 Post by Brian_H » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:56 pm

That should allow you to test the solenoid coil itself. Bear in mind some systems will throw a fault if they can't see a solenoid they are configured to open (some use both solenoids on the same channel, but not all).

Its detecting some sort of error - which could be lack of pressure, which is probably why your getting the different lights. it would help to have some idea of the system fitted though (can you see a brand on the switch, or post a pic of it or better yet find the ecu and either post a pic of that, or tell us what it says it is?)

superkp

#10 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:54 pm

hi
it is a sgi system 6cyl.
the wires from ecu go to the reducer solenoid they loop out to the tank solenoid so I think they are on the same channel.
I don't think the gas supply pipe from the tank leaks. (the pipe that chaffed by the tyre rubbing against it)
when I switched off manual cut off at tank and loosened the outlet pipe that goes to supply the engine gas slowly leaked until the pipe emptied.
so I guess if you say flashing lights = no pressure = gas not getting past solenoids and ecu thinks its empty??

superkp

#11 Post by superkp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:56 pm

how do I post a photo?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#12 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:36 pm

As I said, you've got two solenoids, one at the tank and another at the reducer. Yes, test by disconnecting the wires going to it and applying 12V directly to the solenoid coil and listen for the click. To make sure it is opening and not just clicking, you could undo the pipe at the reducer inlet, apply 12V to the tank solenoid and you should get a good blast of gas. That will prove the tank solenoid but you have another at, or just before, the reducer, try the same test there. Check the wiring for continuity as the two solenoids are likely being fed from the same supply.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#13 Post by Brian_H » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:02 am

Click the full editor option, then use the 9th button in the toolbar on the next screen (one with the little picture icon).

Its also possible that if they are linked together, that the front one has failed in a short circuit state and stopping the back one working, though i'd suspect you either have a broken wire on the earth return from the tank (which might explain the gauge reading, though that might be just down to it detecting an error anyway).

If it is low pressure being detected, the output from the vapouriser will have no pressure on it. If you find no pressure there, then work backwards and see if the pressure is in the tank to vapouriser line - if it is, then your vapouriser solenoid isn't working or you have damage to the pipework (you should be able to work out where by eliminating where the problem lies). If there is pressure in the front line then there must be something else wrong, it may be worth getting hold of a lead at that point if you can't find any obvious cause.

superkp

#14 Post by superkp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:55 am

hi
som pictures of ecu and tank solenoid
Attachments
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1089 times
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 1089 times
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2133.JPG (3.32 MiB) Viewed 1089 times

superkp

#15 Post by superkp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 am

front soleniod
Attachments
IMG_2143.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1089 times
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1089 times

LPGC
Installer

#16 Post by LPGC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:19 am

I've known the solenoid relay in ESGI ECUs get burned out by a short of the solenoid wiring without blowing the system fuse.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

superkp

#17 Post by superkp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi
I tested the rear soloniod with 12v. as soon as I connected I got a burst of gas just like Gilbertd described so looks like rear soloniod is ok.
when I put everything back together I started car and tried to switch to lpg. I heard the revs slightly drop as it normally does after switching to gas but still wont switch. just starts that beeping noise.
I also noticed about four rapid clicks coming from engine bay when I tried to switch to lpg?

Im assuming that because the car drops revs as it switches or tries to switch to gas the ecu is ok?

if the ecu is cooked is it repairable?or what ecu could I use without needing to swap out lots of parts?

superkp

#18 Post by superkp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi
An update
I disconnected the wires from ecu to solenoids while the cars trying to switch to lpg .
I then fed 12v directly from battery to reducer solenoid that is wired to tank solenoid (both on same circuit) front solenoid starts to click then switches to lpg and runs until I disconnect the 12v supply starts beeping again.
It does not immediately beep it uses the gas it has gathered from 12v supply.
so the solenoids seem fine. Unless it will run only on tank solenoid that I know is fine?
I found 2 fuses that are both fine are there any other fuses?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#19 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Certainly sounds like there's no 12V coming from the ECU to energise the solenoids. Try hanging a light bulb in parallel with the solenoids and see if it lights when it tries to change over. If it doesn't it does sound like the internal relay is burnt out.

superkp

#20 Post by superkp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I will try the bulb test tomorrow.
do you mean the relay in the ecu could be burnt out?
before I hot wired the solenoids I could hear the front solenoid click when it was wired up as normal.