Proglem filling up

lpgtips

Proglem filling up

#1 Post by lpgtips » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:44 am

My 2004 Toyota Corolla has a BRC conversion done at Oxford Autogas, installed over 5-6 years ago and running fine since.

So here's the problem: Last time I tried filling it up, I could only manage to pump 70p worth of gas before the pump stopped. I reconnected the nozzle and tried again, but this time it was only 30p. Another attempt produced a similar result and I noticed that there is gas escaping from the car after I disconnected the pump.

It seems that the pump is cutting off because of some problem with the filling up system.

Any ideas?

PS. has anyone heard if Oxford Autogas in Tiddington is still open? I've called and visited them, but it all seems shut.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Proglem filling up

#2 Post by Brian_H » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Could be a few things - very few tanks have a manual shut off valve on the inlet, but some exist, but unless someone has been doing anything under there wouldn't see any reason to suspect a problem there, its more likely either the filler is worn and not locking onto the pump nozzle properly, or the nozzle is worn. They have to lock together to open the valve in the filler to allow the gas in.

Any idea where under the car you can (see? Hear?) gas escaping from?

Any idea if its a single hole or 4 hole tank? Or what the level gauge shows on the tank (not the one on the drivers panel). Any idea how much gas is actually in the tank at present?

Oxford autogas details from filllpg show Opening times of M-F 7am-6pm Sat 8am-1pm Tel 01844 339210 - might be worth giving them a ring?, they were still there about a year ago, but i haven't been past that way for some time now.

lpgtips

#3 Post by lpgtips » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:47 am

Brian_H wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm
Any idea where under the car you can (see? Hear?) gas escaping from?

Any idea if its a single hole or 4 hole tank? Or what the level gauge shows on the tank (not the one on the drivers panel). Any idea how much gas is actually in the tank at present?
The gas starts escaping from the inlet as soon as I disconnect the nozzle.

Not sure what kind of tank it is. How can I find out?

Not sure how much gas there is in the tank. The lights on the dasboard say it's empty and I'm not sure if there is an obvious indicator on the tank. Will have another look today.

The inlett doesn't look worn out and I cannot say if there's a manual shut off valve. The problem started occuring when my wife tried to fill up the car a couple of weeks ago and she usually has problems connecting the nozzle.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:05 am

I'd wonder if it's full and you have a solenoid issue, if you can get to the valve (this will depend on the tank type and where it's been installed) then it should be easy to identify the valve type. Single hole only has one large round hole into the tank where the valve goes into, a 4 hole will usually have a longer box with 4 separate holes for each bit. It might be easier to take a photo if your not sure. You'd best check the level gauge on the tank at the same time, as this might give a better idea of the gas level actually in the tank than the gauge can do.

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 pm

There's a no-return valve in the filler and another at the tank inlet. If the tank inlet valve has jammed then the small amount you have managed to get to go it would be the contents of the pipe between the tank and the filler. If the non-return valve in the filler is leaking, then it isn't really that important as all you will lose is the contents of the pipe. Do you keep a cap on the filler? They don't like getting filled with road dirt and dust.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#6 Post by Brian_H » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:23 pm

There will be a gauge on the tank - something like one of the ones shown here (if there wasn't one you wouldn't get a level displayed on the gauge)
https://tinleytech.co.uk/product-catego ... -switches/

If its not managed to switch to gas, depending on the system (BRC might not do this, not sure) the leds on some systems won't indicate the level until its on gas (my KME systems show the approx temp with all lights on and flashing is ready to switch).

Good points to consider above by Gillbertd though - dirt in the outer filler might cause a small leak until it empties the pipe (you'd know if it was all the way through as it would keep going for a lot longer)

lpgtips

#7 Post by lpgtips » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am

Gilbertd wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:48 pm
Do you keep a cap on the filler? They don't like getting filled with road dirt and dust.
Yes, there’s always a cap on.

lpgtips

#8 Post by lpgtips » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:31 am

The tank is in the space where the spare tyre used to be. Took a picture this morning. The wiring seems fine. I wasn’t quite sure if the tank is full or epty, but my interpretation is that it has got a tiny amount of fuel left.
Attachments
172BE4CF-C9C7-483B-99EF-58794F35B2A9.jpeg
172BE4CF-C9C7-483B-99EF-58794F35B2A9.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 911 times
62A811CE-210B-4C70-85DD-8386D9752361.jpeg
62A811CE-210B-4C70-85DD-8386D9752361.jpeg (656 KiB) Viewed 911 times

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#9 Post by Brian_H » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Good - that proves uploading photos now works!

Its a single hole tank for future reference. This would mean the shutoff is operated by the same bit as the level sensor. That sensor I think is reading full rather than empty (as the red section is at the other end and the segments get larger towards the end the needle is at) but I've not dealt with BRC kit personally - hopefully someone else can chip in there?

I'd suspect you have some sort of issue getting gas out of the tank - either a failed solenoid, or some other error the ecu is detecting stopping it switching over. Hard to say which without further investigation, but if that is the case your leak might just be that there is more pressure in the pipe than you'd usually get, or its got something in the non-return valve stopping it close completely. If you have a multimeter it might be worth checking resistance of both solenoid coils (one on the front near or on the vapouriser, other is the red block on the valve in your photos - you might need to remove the circlip to get to the connector on that one though)

lpgtips

#10 Post by lpgtips » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Brian_H wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm
That sensor I think is reading full rather than[album][/album] empty (as the red section is at the other end and the segments get larger towards the end the needle is at) but I've not dealt with BRC kit personally - hopefully someone else can chip in there?
Yes, you are right about the full tank and I feel rather silly to have made such mistake. The tank is full, which is the reason ehy the fuel pump would cut off every time I tried filling up. The escaping gas from the inlet was from the connecting pipe.

What confused me to start with was the lights on the dashboard were blank, so I assumed that the tank is empty. When i turned the system on and off a couple of times, the lights came green and it’s all working fine now.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#11 Post by Brian_H » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Don't worry about it - Long as it stays that way it was a cheap and easy fix. My only experience with BRC was driving a company car a few years back with their kit on, from what i remember it wasn't the most friendly of systems to work with, I suspect it might have been one of the ones that beeped when it was out of gas till you switched it off (which given it was my first experience with LPG wasn't helpful, as noone at the company could give me an answer of where to fill it up near where they were based either).