Mercedes CLK320 stalls when on gas

Zaphod

Mercedes CLK320 stalls when on gas

#1 Post by Zaphod » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:14 am

Well the CLK has done 100K since I last posted on here.. however it started to have a problem on gas today.. When it switches over to LPG it starts to run like a bag of nails, then stalls and smells of gas.. it then takes a lot of starting to get it going again on petrol (I have a feeling it is just flooding itself with LPG). This weekend I replaced the vaporizer as it had a water leak and re calibrated the system, this needed a couple of goes before it worked. There had been a map sensor fault waiting for me which I cleared and did not return I have yet to plug the laptop in to check it again

The system is an OMVL Dream XXIn (injectors, ECU and Vaporizer are all Dream XXIn)

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Mercedes CLK320 stalls when on gas

#2 Post by Brian_H » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:08 pm

An injector thats stuck open can cause it to act like its flooded (Gas doesn't flood in the same way petrol does, but too much of it will stop the engine running due to a lack of air). Was this a new vapouriser you fitted, or a used one or a rebuild kit that was used?

If an injector is suspect, clamping the injectors hoses that goto the manifold one at a time might allow you to isolate one of them. You might find allowing it to pressurise the system by running it then quickly removing the hoses off the back once its cut out would show if one is leaking.

Its possible also for the vapouriser to leak gas into the vacuum line, this would have the same effect (probably easier to try that test first actually).

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

Re: Mercedes CLK320 stalls when on gas

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Did you bleed all of the air out of the cooling system after you changed the vaporiser? When it dies is the vaporiser covered in ice?
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.