Melted iridium plugs?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: Melted iridium plugs?

#41 Post by Brian_H » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:04 pm

Generally its done with two people, one to do the driving, other to do the calibration and instruct driver to do what bits they want

LPGC
Installer

Re: Melted iridium plugs?

#42 Post by LPGC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:15 am

Yes the figures seem better.
The map should peak somewhere around the 4ms load range.
Don't worry much about setting the columns (rpm adjustment), focus on the rows (load adjustment)... So don't go with selecting diagonal sections, instead go with just selecting rows...
What I'd do if I were you now (since you've changed individual columns) is reset the map (which will put rpm correction back to original state, in fact will put the full map back to original state), run autocal again.. Then go down the map selecting every box from (and including) the row that the ball is on down. Then change all the selected boxes by a percentage or linear figure (I'd use the linear adjustment). Get the ball one row lower after every adjustment so you're working down the map selecting fewer and fewer rows at a time. Remember that the map uses interpolation between adjacent boxes, so for example if the ball is slightly above the centre of the row you're adjusting the effective multiplier is somewhere between the figure in the box you're adjusting and the figure in the box above... so it's best to keep the ball in the centre of a box but sometimes it can help confirm figures in boxes above/below are correct by getting the ball off-centre. Remember that when you get to a certain load point (far enough down the map) the engine will run open loop anyway (the point at which it goes open loop as you move down the map depends on rpm as well) while in open loop mode the pinj figure won't change regardless of mixture so you've got to set the open loop parts of the map according to lambda reading and lambda should be rich (but not too rich) under those conditions.
It doesn't matter much if the car is accelerating/decelerating a bit while the ball is in the row that you want to check (excessive accel/decel could throw the figures).
Brian_H wrote:Generally its done with two people, one to do the driving, other to do the calibration and instruct driver to do what bits they want
I prefer to drive the car myself because I'm used to keeping the ball where I want while glancing occasionally at the screen to check readings. Can tell a driver to keep his foot steady on the throttle (to keep the ball on same row) but they'll instinctively adjust throttle to maintain same speed, the concept of constant engine load being different to constant speed/rpm seems difficult to grasp for many / fly-by-wire throttles can adjust throttle (and ball position) independent from drivers throttle position / for any part throttle position the ball will go up as rpm increases anyway (engine can shift more air but throttle restriction stays the same, so more vaccum for same throttle position at higher rpm).
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon