MOT emissions

Zaphod

MOT emissions

#1 Post by Zaphod » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 pm

My Discovery failed its MOT today by the narrowest of margins on emissions. .293% co and 1.031 lambda, this was on the second fast idle test. However I am not sure it was tested rightly as I seem to recall as an LPG car it should only have to pass the pre cat test or has this changed?

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: MOT emissions

#2 Post by Brian_H » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 pm

If its been tested properly (ie on the right fuel type) it should be fine. It should have gone through easily though since the emissions should be lower on lpg than petrol. That you have high CO suggests the mixture is wrong - could be down to needing a general service (air filter?) or adjustment of the lpg system itself.

Is this a single point or multipoint system?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#3 Post by Gilbertd » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:48 pm

A figure for lambda says the machine was set for petrol when it was tested. It should be tested on whatever fuel it was running on when presented for test so if it was running on LPG, the tester didn't know. If he tested it on petrol, that may be because you didn't tell him it was on gas or it was running on petrol at the time. I suspect it was as a CO figure that high would mean it would barely run if it was on LPG, the norm being less than 0.1% usually, mine managed a display flipping between 0.00 and 0.01% last time it was tested. However, if the machine is told it is testing a vehicle on LPG, it will only show readings for CO and HC, no lambda figure will be displayed.
'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Zaphod

#4 Post by Zaphod » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:09 am

Are the CO figures for the LPG test still 3.5%?

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#5 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:12 am

Yup, see the flowchart straight from the testers manual here http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/730_newnoncat.pdf. Take it back and ask that they do it properly this time.

Zaphod

#6 Post by Zaphod » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 pm

Cool so I don't really have a worry on that front, however it does make me think BL my LPG need recal rating, it's a zavoli system, all easy n? I will have to check, and it's not been done since I had the engine apart (slipping liner issues! Now pinned) but I guess it may have lost all its settings and really should be gone over with a loptop, I have the lead but need to find the software

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#7 Post by Gilbertd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Which Zavoli system? I have software for the Zavoli Regal single point, the original Zavoli Alisei and the later Alisei N. Drop me a PM with an email address and I'll see if I can email whichever you need to you.