reducer temp. sensor spec

hitman

reducer temp. sensor spec

#1 Post by hitman » Tue May 21, 2019 7:36 pm

hi guys

I've managed to track down my rich running condition to a goosed temp sensor on my reducer but don't know what the spec is.

the reducer appears to be an ultragas t3 , does anyone know the spec I should get or know where I can get a suitable replacement sensor.

thanks in advance

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: reducer temp. sensor spec

#2 Post by Brian_H » Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Probably more important to get one matched to the ECU your using? Does it screw into the reducer directly or is it on a coolant line? Which ECU us it your using?

hitman

#3 Post by hitman » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Brian

It screws into the reducer and its aeb based king ecu

Gilbertd
Advanced Member

#4 Post by Gilbertd » Wed May 22, 2019 5:57 pm

'96 Saab 900XS, AEB Leo, sold
'93 Range Rover 4.2 LSE, Lovato LovEco, sold
'98 Ex-Police Range Rover 4.0, Singlepoint AEB Leo, my daily motor
'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

LPGC
Installer

#5 Post by LPGC » Wed May 22, 2019 8:14 pm

A goosed reducer temp sensor will need changing but symptoms wouldn't usually cause rich running, usually it would cause lean running. An open circuit sensor would give a very cold reading which would lean fuelling but only by about 6% (depending on ECU year/firmware and whether someone has adjusted the settings but only usually 6% on later ones maybe just a bit more on older ones), a shorted sensor would give a very hot reading but that would either not effect mixture or only richen it by 2% regardless of year/firmware (again unless someone has adjusted it). Unlikely anyone has adjusted reducer temp compensation.

The only way a goosed reducer temp sensor could cause rich running is if you calibrated while the sensor was giving a very cold reading (open circuit) and then the sensor worked properly or had a shorted circuit.

It's also possible that fuel trims could be steered to positive by lean running on LPG and for positive trims to then cause rich running and associated OBD errors/problems when running on petrol, this would most likely manifest as a STFT too negative too long error.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

hitman

#6 Post by hitman » Thu May 23, 2019 12:53 am

Hi all
Thanks for the info.
Ltft have been running to -20+ for a couple of weeks now and I finally realised the temp. Probe was modulating between 10 - 60 degrees. I think on the minute or so I scanned the software
I have ordered a new 10k. Ohm probe which should be able to be set up in the king aeb ecu software
I'll let you know of the outcome once the sensor arrives , be a couple of weeks I reckon.

hitman

#7 Post by hitman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Fitted new sensor and selected 10k ohm in the software unfortunately forgot about the gas temp sensor being 4.7k ohm .

So question is to get by can I just link in the wires for the gas sensor to the reducer sensor so both show same temp without causing issues?

I think it should be ok.

Still running rich btw and my laptop is playing up .

Any ideas?

Cheers guys

Ps it was actually the gas sensor that was goosed.

LPGC
Installer

#8 Post by LPGC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Just to clarify then... It wasn't the reducer temp sensor at fault it was the gas vapour temp sensor at fault?
You can mix and match sensor specs, software allows selection of individual sensor types.
To get by you can disable error reporting / LPG system OBD in the 'injectors check' screen by unticking 'enable diagnosis', then in 'vehicle configuration', 'adjustments' screen set all the 'gas temperature correction' boxes to zero. Or disconnect the gas vapour temp and put a resistor between around 1k and 2.2k across the black / orange black stripe wires that ran to it.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

hitman

#9 Post by hitman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 am

Hi Simon

Correct the gas temp sensor was at fault.

What I have done is left the gas sensor in as a blank with the wires snipped off , new brc sensor with plug connector inserted into reducer and wired into reducer and gas sensor wiring from the king ecu and selected 4.7k ohm in software as the one to use as this gives same temp in software for gas and reducer. ( the 10k setting gave differing result for gas and reducer maybe theres a selection screen I missed for the gss sensor?)
Interestingly there is no option in the version of the software to select a gas sensor that I found just reducer .
Jiggled the map a little as I suspect I have tried to calibrate with the dodgy sensor in the past.

Running ok but chasing one lean code bank 1 at present👍

Should I put temp correction to zero now?

LPGC
Installer

#10 Post by LPGC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:13 am

Gas temp is usually 15C or so (at light loads) below reducer temp, and isn't the BRC temp sensor a Bosch low resistance spec type?

If your software is missing the vapour temp sender type selector what version King software are you using? I know some earlier versions had that selection missing (and still earlier versions didn't have reducer temp sensor spec selection) but you could get around that by using more recent software.

Lean code bank1.. So are pinj's between b1 and b2 about equal throughout the load/rpm range or are pinj's for b1 higher than for b2 under all or some conditions? In fact I forget what car this is - is it a 4 cyl (only b1 anyway no b2) or 6 pot / v8 (with b1 & b2)?
Full time LPG installer
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,