LPG service

VanMan

LPG service

#1 Post by VanMan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Does anyone know of anywhere within Milton Keynes where I can take my van for an LPG service?

I have owned my van for 18 months now.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

Re: LPG service

#2 Post by Brian_H » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Gas4Cars used to be down at Bow Brickhill, but the industrial estate he was on isn't there any longer. It looks like they have moved to Woburn Sands - https://www.garage-gas4cars.com/

I've never used him so can't recommend either way, or confirm if its still the same place/person operating there. if its just a service you may be ok, but the factory fit systems (as you mention yours is on your other post) can be a bit of a challenge if they aren't used to dealing with them. There are installers about but further afield that I'd recommend.

Are you trying to fix something that isn't working properly, or just looking for a routine check over the system or something else? There isn't much you can do beyond cleaning and adjusting pressures on the necam systems if its the EGI type, and replacing the liquid filter (and replace any failed parts of course). If you want the info on that reply back.

VanMan

#3 Post by VanMan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks Brian.

I was just curious as to whether anyone local did a service.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#4 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 am

Its either them, or Oxford Autogas at Tiddington (near Thame on the A418) are the only two I know of, there may be others about that I don't know of.

LPGC
Installer

#5 Post by LPGC » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:29 am

If just doing preventative maintenance (filters) you could buy and fit them yourself. If there's a problem of any sort running on LPG with a Koltec system do a bit of research and see who's managed to diagnose and fix them before. A lot of installers will just go through the motions with these systems.. no real chance of correctly diagnosing or fixing them, just charge for a diagnosis they didn't really do and changing filters they probably did do when grasping at straws.
Full time LPG installer
Servicing / Diagnostics / Repairs to all systems / DIY conversion kits supplied with thorough tech support
Mid Yorkshire
2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

VanMan

#6 Post by VanMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 pm

I do occasionally get the smell of lpg in the cab. Is this normal as it usually only lasts a few seconds.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#7 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:22 pm

No. Its from one of two places most likely. If its after filling up, then something at the back isn't right - Possible its the boot that sits on the back of the filler or the filler itself isn't quite right, the one I had just had a rubber boot fitted over a JIC hose - that was a Tickford installed system, no vent hose used on that. But if the filler goes through bodywork and to the outside it shouldn't leak there, though I have known them to come loose and allow it to. It could also be a leak elsewhere on the filler line, though I doubt thats the case if its only present very briefly.

I'd think its more likely if your noticing it at times other than filling up or shortly afterwards that its either a leak from a hose (Jubilee clip worked loose and wants tightening up possibly) or something similar. Do you get any issues with starting (taking longer to start when its been running on gas for example?) I've known the vapouriser to fail and allow it to fill the intake manifold with gas, that might be what you can smell (though only usually noticable when engine isn't running to burn off the excess gas).

Soapy water or a can of leak detector would at least locate your leak if its coming from anywhere you can get to if you still can't find it. At least if you locate it you'd have an idea what your looking at.

VanMan

#8 Post by VanMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Usually only when I start the engine after filling up only.

Brian_H
Intermediate Member

#9 Post by Brian_H » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Look around the filler area then, equally its possible that its on your hands though and you just notice it when getting back into the van as its an enclosed space.