LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hi folks haven't been on for a while still trying to get my X5 LPG conversion perfect,LPGtech system,artic reducer,omvl injectors, thankfully its a second vehicle so hasn't seen much use this last year,the issue i have is one of many troublesome problems on this conversion but this is the most annoying especially on a hot day.

It looks like i have used the wrong radiator hoses to supply heat to the reducer,works fine when my temp dial is full up inside the car when i turn the heater temp to cold the lpg temp is too low and i have to turn the temp back up in the car.

What would be the best hoses to use to supply the reducer on these BMW X5's M54 ENGINE.I used the top right and bottom right,also tried swapping them around with no luck.......

Also another annoying problem is i have a constant EML light on with burning fail on multiple cylinders,cyl 1 and cyl 5,seems to come and go no idea when it will kick off again once reset sometimes its great for 50+ miles then bam EML again,i've replaced the following trying to diagnose

COILS
2 PRECAT LAMBDAS
NEW PLUGS
CHECK FOR AIR INTAKE LEAKS
TESTED MAF
CHECKED DISA VALVE

Not tested yet
fuel rail pressure
fuel filter

no luck i'm starting to wonder if this is a fuel trim issue due to the lpg upsetting the fuel trims car throws the EML codes on or off LPG doesen't matter even with the LPG totally disabled still the same then bam i'll start it up and it will drive fine for a few days...........really annoying may be a dealer only fix i'm worried.......any help would be great guys.......i've posted a few diagnostics maybe someone could help with interpretation.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am 
Installer

The latest of several threads by you on the subject of problems with your self converted BMW X5 mate!

Reckon somewhere in those threads I will have mentioned that there won't be a problem with type of your coolant pipe, the problem will be with where you have plumbed those pipes to.

Most of your other problems will be due to incorrect setup and calibration.

There may be other problems on the vehicle too which are not due to the LPG system, maybe a lambda probe, maybe wheel speed sensors.

Did you wire the LPGTech ECU to the vehicle OBD port? Some of the faults might only occur when something is connected to the OBD port if connecting to the OBD port interferes with the canbus. Even plugging a code reader into the OBD port can interfere with e.g. the radio working properly... It is possible to cause some types of fault just by checking for them!

May be time to bring it in.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:32 pm 

Post some oscilloscope from driving on petrol and lpg
Also photos where did you connect pipe for reducer.
Got same engine and LpgTech, no problems.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:12 pm 
Installer

This thread might become entertaining.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi guys thx for the replies sry i haven't been on in a while not too well was diagnosed with kidney cancer earlier in the year bummer ino lol
regarding the X5.... thx to Simon for the earlier advice the vehicle is running much better now as i sorted the misfires out eventually turned out to be the fuel filter/pressure regulator runs fine now except for A lambda sensor error

I am also getting a stall of the engine when running on lpg usually approaching roundabout or junction now an again prob because of the lean error..... pretty fu*cking scary as you lose everything power steering etc.... suddenly without warning lol keeps you on your toes strangly idles fine when started only occurs when driving and the revs drop......

P171 SYSTEM TOO LEAN

P0154 O2 SENSOR CIRCUT NO ACTIVITY DETECTED BANK 2 SENSOR 1

P0036 HO2S HEATER CONTROL CIRCUT BANK 1 SENSOR 2

looking at the calibration software its showing between 0.00-0.03v also the odd error about heater probe on the lambda i.m presuming its a faulty lambda sensor ? so i've ordered a replacement.....I already replaced the pre cat sensors last month,can the lambda sensor not working cause a lean condition ? or is it something else causing the lean condition and thus triggering the lambda error ? as it seems to be affecting two seperate o2 sensors......

The reducer pipe is a bloody nightmare i've connected it to every damm 19mm coolant pipe available...tried one from the bottom of the resovior....tried one going into the matrix with electric pump ....one going into the matrix non pumped.... still not getting the reducer up to temp unless the heating is all the way up inside the vehicle then it runs fine the only other hot hoses i can feel are big main hoses all the 19mm hoses seem warm but not really hot unless the heating is full temp in the cabin...........

This has been a bas*tard vehicle to convert from the start i've many conversions under my belt over the years tho nothing like this fecker....sadly i live in N.Ireland so there arent many specalists willing and qualified to calibrate the vehicle

gonna try and sort this beast this week as i'm headed in to have my kidney removed in the next few weeks i'm told i'll be a basket case for at least 3-4 months after that so that means no working on cars lol

Any help would be great guys

LPGC wrote:
This thread might become entertaining.
[/quote]

lol hahaha indeed simon been a bloody nightmare year for sure lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:42 am 

Hi guys fixed the o2 error no activity detected cable wasn't seated home in the connector,still getting too lean errors and the o2 heater for the post cat sensor,i've posted a calibration video if someone could take a look as its way above my expertise.....

https://youtu.be/MSeF2tcmgBY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:07 pm 
Installer

Sorry to read about your illness and other problems.

Notice how channels 234 are consistently higher than 156. This could persuade us that your channel numbers don't correspond to cylinder numbers (you could have channels 234 on cylinders 123 and channels 135 on cylinders 456). First question - Do your LPG channels 1 through 6 correspond to engine cylinders 1 through 6?

If the answer to the above is yes then your pinj figures are being skewed by the BMW's 'smooth running values' and it might be an idea to reset them or if you don't have facility to reset them to drive on petrol for a while until pinj figures become more evened out on each cylinder bank and it will help if IM readiness has been passed. To stand any chance of achieving proper calibration the engine will first have to be running closed loop without any error codes.

I hope not to confuse with this bit - It's quite usual to have trims a bit different on LPG to on petrol on some BMW 6 cylinder engines. This is because petrol pressure is (unusually for the year of vehicle) referenced to atmosphere while LPG pressure is referenced to manifold pressure in the usual way. The implication is that a certain pinj figure at one engine manifold pressure will deliver a different amount of fuel to the same pinj figure when the manifold pressure is different. Your system provides rpm correction which could help to dial out some of the differences in fuelling that this implies but that would be much more of a hash method than the more technically correct way of accounting for the difference which is compensating ginj for manifold pressure. Unless you account for the difference in fuel pressure reference points somehow, your map shape should look a bit unusual and at different rpms / engine temps for any given pinj your fuel trims when running on LPG will fluctuate - An offshoot of this is that during engine warmup when the engine is a bit tighter it will have less manifold vacuum because it needs more air and fuel to run, but the difference in pinj for idle between a warming engine and fully warmed engine would be more than usual because the higher manifold pressure means less relative petrol pressure, but if the LPG system doesn't address reference pressure it will result in more fuelling on LPG because the LPG system only sees the difference in pinj.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 am 

Hi Simon thx for the reply gonna double check the injector order tommorow and hook it up to BMW Rheingold diagnostics see if i can reset anything or even see what it reports,still have to get that post cat lambda replaced as its still reporting heater circuit failure every now and again. Sure is a tricky bstard to diagnose i drove it today on LPG for around 100 miles.... nothing seems constant man...... at startup i got an EML and a code about too lean ,reset it and ran fine on lpg for the next 50 odd miles the only issue i had was stalling the odd time when the revs drop at junctions when it stalled there was no EML,if i shift the car into neutral manually prior to the junction it doesn't stall wtf lol

The return 50 mile journey was uneventful no stalling at all and only one EML after about 10 miles... once reset it was fine all the way home ..........doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the EML, sometimes it happens when cold at startup other times when fully at temp,other times never at all a fu*king phantom lol........regarding the stalling i'm wondering if my reducer pressure is good enough at 1.2 bar at 3000rpm i heard those tommasetta artic reducer aren't great and is prob at its limit as my m54 engine produces 228bhp.........wish i lived closer to you man i'd just leave it in for you to look at as i don't have the energy anymore or indeed skill to diagnose it properly.....do you have teamviewer ? you could log in from where you are and calibrate it that way..... paying job of course....need to sort it asap as i'm into hospital for the op any day now and i'll be in no fit state after the op for at least 5-6 months...lesson learned for me never diy complex multi cylinder bmw motors again lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 am 

Just save oscilloscope from driving, so we can look what's happening. Drive with laptop plugged in and at the end save the file.
Much easier to help you.
Quote:
never diy complex multi cylinder bmw motors again

It's actually one of the easiest engines to convert.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
Installer

Hi Hardcorepit80, What's the name of your LPG conversion company?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 am 

LPGC wrote:

www.bestlpgconversionsinuniverse.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm 
Installer

hardcorepit80 wrote:
LPGC wrote:

http://www.bestlpgconversionsinuniverse.com

:lol: An amateur then? Was a serious question, I thought I'd read somewhere you were a pro.

hardcorepit80 wrote:
It's actually one of the easiest engines to convert.
How do you know that then? Surely one of the easiest engines to convert won't feature petrol pressure that isn't referenced to manifold pressure, idle air or smooth running values? To say how easy they are I sure seem to have had a lot of customers bring 6 pot BMWs to me already fitted with LPGTech systems that didn't run properly until I sorted them - The none manifold pressure referenced petrol pressure messes up chances of decent auto calibration in Tech mode.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 pm 

I bet You clicked on that link couple of times :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everybody, who knows you on this forum, know that there's no point discussing anything with you.....
You're like my wife, knows everything.....
Self loving, self advertising, alpha & omega of all times.You should built space ships with your knowledge:lol:
We could be on Mars by now with your skills. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:02 pm 
Installer

hardcorepit80 wrote:
I bet You clicked on that link couple of times :lol: :lol: :lol:

No. I immediately recognised it as a ridiculous name for a firm.

hardcorepit80 wrote:
Everybody, who knows you on this forum, know that there's no point discussing anything with you.....
You're like my wife, knows everything.....
Self loving, self advertising, alpha & omega of all times.You should built space ships with your knowledge:lol:
We could be on Mars by now with your skills. :lol:

Everybody who knows me on this forum knows I am always right. So indeed there is no point arguing with me, I know this job far too well.
There would be much less point in me coming on forum if by doing so didn't imply a bit of advertising.

By the way, you haven't answered any of my points. I expect because in my last simple reply I highlighted things you didn't know and other things you overlooked.

Perhaps it's a bit silly arguing with perhaps the most respected pro in the land when you're an amateur who knows Jack?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:23 pm 

8)
Yeah, You're the best.....