LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:46 pm 

X5 3.0i - 120miles round town =£20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:34 am 

vw golf 1.4 petrol in £10 i can do 120 miles local if i drive on Moterway i can do easy 140 miles in £10.
To make you understand regarding millage this is difficult to answer for all cars.
for example
if you doing 20 miles P/G on petrol you will always get about 10% less millage on LPG like 17 miles P/G on LPG.
this is because the burning temperature of Lpg is higher.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:42 pm 
Installer

addy wrote:
To make you understand regarding millage this is difficult to answer for all cars.
for example
if you doing 20 miles P/G on petrol you will always get about 10% less millage on LPG like 17 miles P/G on LPG.
this is because the burning temperature of Lpg is higher.

It isn't, it is because the calorific value of LPG is a bit lower than petrol (you get a bit less total heat from burning LPG than petrol). If the burning temp of LPG was hotter than petrol (and the burn in the cylinder lasted as long), then more energy would be released burning LPG and the engine would therefore be more economical on LPG.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:21 pm 

Err, yeah, what he said! ^^^^^

Just started out in the world of LPG so a bit tricky for me to be 100% accurate but ...................

I bought a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Ltd auto with LPG a couple of months back. The (very scary!) journey home saw me use about £30 of gas for 189 miles and i paid 66ppl for that gas. So i reckon about 45L or 10 gallons in old money and 18.9mpg.

Since then i have fixed the (extremely) dodgy steering, fixed the binding rear brakes, renewed the air filter (black rectangular thing that looked like it should be made of pleated paper!), HT leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm and done an oil and filter change. It's a lot livelier now so hopefully more economical as well. I've also removed the roof cross bars (like having a roof rack on an already aerodynamically challenged vehicle) which has helped too.
Going to flush the cooling system and renew the 'stat tomorrow and then put more gas in it and do a better test and report back.

Despite all the bits above all being known to kill economy i'm not expecting terrific figures - it is nearly 2 tons of housebrick on steroids with a 50 year old 4.0 engine driving through a slushbox after all!

In the process of gassing my two Rover 827s, one on a Stargas SGi multipoint injection system and the other on a Leonardo AEB175 single point mixer - be interesting for comaprison if nothing else!

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:09 pm 

Paying around .60p a litre I get around 142 miles in my fiat punto 1.2 and around 70 in my bmw 735i v8 for £10.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 pm 
Installer

I get infininty miles for random pence... Fuel costs me zero... At least while I am emptying ex forklift tanks for a gas supplier by running all the gas out of them through my car. Call it a perk!

When the above isn't true I often have to pay for gas at (much less than you pay) per litre.

Where (above line) isn't available, like when I went on holiday, I had to pay the full 49.9p per litre price. Bah!

Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 (full of bodies) pulling the (very loaded) caravan at 65mph does 10mpg. On an 'economy minded' long run, minus the caravan, it will do 23mpg.

I like to keep the petrol tank on my car full... it serves the purpose of a petrol storage depot for my 2 stroke engine'd boat... until I manage to get that running properly... and then I can (attempt to) convert that to LPG too.

Son recently drove his Hyundai Accent 1.6 370 miles for £19 paying normal (including motorway) pump prices at 50p/litre. Laughing at the low running costs after that, straight away on return he bought a 2L Mondeo Ghia X (which I had to change 2 broken front springs, 2 disks, 2 ball joints on). So the very old Bigas ECU, 'Marelli' badged V30 injectors and the tank I removed from a Chrysler Crossfire (along with the BRC system I am selling) will all soon be coming off the Accent and going on the Mondeo. I doubt I'll be fitting the V30s on the Mondeo though, will make a much neater install if I fit, say, Matrix injectors (so they will fit under the engine cover). I have some Matrix injectors knocking about. The Accent was converted using all old bits, most of which (less the tank) came off my son's old Corsa (which he wrote off..). Before that, the parts will have been installed on other cars.. Mondeo will be at least the 2nd, in most cases the 3rd or 4th car, some of those bits have been fitted on.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:14 pm 

old 1990 Astra 16v GTE engine in a mk4 Astravan well laden with tools etc anything between 26 & 37 to the gallon on lpg about 2 or 3 less than running on petrol so very happy to be a gas guzzler
almost forgot more fun & cheaper than diesel too!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:58 pm 
Installer

redvanman wrote:
old 1990 Astra

Bit of reminiscing.. Very light car those, my grandad's last car ever was an '88 Astra 1.3 he bought new, would easily do 55mpg on a carb. over 180000 miles mostly driven by my dad, never needed a clutch or had any mechanical problems at all.

2L Vauxhall engine was great and found it's way into many project/kit cars, particularly the early version with red dizzy that made 20bhp more than the later (emissions) ones. Not as good under forced induction as Cosworth's though, particularly the transmissions (same box usually sat behind a V8 or went in big BMWs)

Bit of an insurance scam years ago, mates would run vans instead of cars, big engine with cheap insurance.

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 am 

BMW E65 745i 4.4 litre V8 330bhp

Running on unleaded petrol gets 25 mpg

Running on LPG gets 23 mpg - reads 0.01 on exhaust gas analyzer for mot

These figures are over several hundred miles - no difference in power between LPG and petrol

so price wise lpg costs about half petrol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:31 pm 

100 miles for £10 lpg at 52.9p and 60 miles for £10 petrol at 104.9p in a zafira 1.8 16v automatic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 pm 
Installer

43p/litre at Calor depot in Carlton, Barnsley today... Not bad!

I filled up on way to a Barnsley machine shop, taking Subaru H6 cylinder head in for repair :-(

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:17 pm 

49.9pp litre, about 100 miles urban stop start driving in 2.5 ltr normally aspirated Subaru Outback cvt, about 20 mpg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9