LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which Adaptor For Spain?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:35 pm 

I'm driving to Spain through France in a couple of weeks. I've been researching on the web and it seems finding LPG in Spain is going to be difficult. Assuming I do find an outlet which adaptor will be most useful? There seems to be some conflicting views online with some people saying they use the latest quick fit adaptor which is a bit pricey, whilst some say they use the cup adaptor.

And just to confirm am I right in thinking I need the cup adaptor with a 22mm screw thread for France. Thanks for any pointers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 pm 
Advanced Member

Yes, assuming you have the standard UK bayonet with the 22mm internal thread, you'll need a cup adapter that screws in for France. You can buy one before you go or wait until you get there. They cost about 8 Euros from any of the French Autoroute service areas. Depending on what ferry you intend using, there is a Total station at Calais that is cheaper than the Autoroute stations and have adapters on the shelf. It does have possibly the slowest filling pump I've ever found, but as there are no services for the first 60 odd kilometers it's worth filling up there.

Can't help you with Spain though but I suspect a cup will be needed in most places. You'll usually find that if you don't have the correct adapter, they'll lend you one.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:35 pm 

Thanks for the info. Found a few more links that gave locations for LPG in Spain. I'm not going to go looking for it and just hope to pass a supply on my choosen route and hope the cup adaptor will do. Luckily I still have a full size petrol tank if I can't find any!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm 

Old thread, but as of 2010 there are a few Repsol stations that sell to the general public - I have visited one in Granada and two in Madrid and all three had a pump with the new 'Euro' fitting and another with the UK Bayonette fitting.

I was told that Spain was moving over to the 'Euro' style fitting by the end of 2010 and that the LPG companies got a large cash subsidy from the EEC to help with converting the pumps, even though most of the filling stations are for taxis and government service and utility vehicles.

After some of the conversions were done, there were not many adapters available, and where they were available, people were charging €75 for them. It didn't help when a batch of adapters from Poland were found to be too loose a fit and leaked.

It wasn't long before the LPG stations were forced to switch back to the UK Bayonette fitting for at least one pump at each site.

Last edited by Taught2BeCautious on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:58 pm 

Also worth noting that petrol in the UK is a similar price to France, I guess LPG is similar.

I would fill up in the UK to save on paying for currancy conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:53 pm 
Advanced Member

Talkingcars wrote:
Also worth noting that petrol in the UK is a similar price to France, I guess LPG is similar.

I would fill up in the UK to save on paying for currancy conversion.
As of Monday (when I came back), petrol in France is currently 1.55 Euros and LPG is 0.80 Euros. At the current exchange rate that makes it marginally cheaper than here and if you pay by card you'll get a much better exchange rate than changing money and using cash. The only cash I use in France is for motorway services vending machine coffee (seems to have possibly the highest caffeine content than any I have ever come across and actually tastes like coffee as a bonus). If driving to Spain, no matter how big a tank you have, you'll never get through France without filling up a few times, so leaving UK with a full tank probably isn't worth bothering with. The BP in Dover is pretty pricey, while the Total station in Calais is cheaper than much of France.

My advice would be the opposite, leave filling up until you are the other side of the Channel and pay by debit card to get the best deal.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:30 pm 

The prices in France are similar to the UK - LPG being roughly half the cost of petrol - but there are wide variations in the prices, depending where you buy.

On the motorways and main road service areas, the prices range from €0.84 to €0.98 per litre, but if you take a diversion into a nearby town, you gan get it for as little as €0.69.

A lot of E.LeClerc, Auchan and Carrefour supermarkets sell it cheaper than the regular petrol stations, and the way I plan my trips through France to Spain, these make more practical stops for refreshments, shopping and a stretch of the old legs :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:26 pm 

Update:

Cheapest price for LPG that I found in France (between 10th and 26th August 2012) was €0.68 at an Auchan supermarket just outside Tours. Most other places €0.72 - €0.84 on main roads, €0.88 - €0.97 on Motorways and Toll Roads.

Some of the supermarkets that sell petrol, shut and padlock the LPG pumps at 8:0pm as there is no facility to pay at the pump, like with petrol and diesel.

In Spain, prices range between €0.74 and €0.78 - and I noticed that a number of small tanks with a single pump have been recently installed on Repsol sites between Burgos and Irun. Still nothing between Burgos and Madrid, and Madrid and Granada though :(

Repsol seem to have the monopoly in Spain - I only found one non-Repsol station selling LPG, and that was a BP in Madrid.