LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am 

Hi All,
So far eighteen countries.....
Denmark---rare, difficult to find.
Norway----ok, you need to look for it.
Sweden---only approx 18 stations mainly in south.
Finland---illegal!
Estonia--only a few
Latvia---good availability
Lithuania---good
Poland---everywhere!
Czech---good
Slovakia---good
Hungary===good
Romania---good
Croatia--- good
Bosnia---good
Montenegro---good.
Italy---- Good.
France---need to look for it, not great.
Andorra---does not exist! **** NOTE, all above countries use the Italian style dish adaptor, or Dutch/UK******
Spain---Pretty rare, some stations in a list on the net no longer exist...maybe 30-40 in all of Spain. Spain Uses some ridiculous kind of system, I bought two adaptors as we left the uk, none of which fits the Spanish system. Adaptors available at fill up points, but the adaptors are usually in pretty poor condition, and pretty @!## to start with...Care is needed when filling, make sure it's tight to the rubber washer!
Switzerland----poor. The My LPG EU website has many Swiss sites listed, but most are now Natural gas, so LPG is pretty rare here, we only found one, by chance. The other adaptor (is it Acme? screw on job)
Luxembourg---- Good.there are a few around, near the major urban areas. Same adaptor as Swiss.

You can read my thoughts of our trip [url]holidayjollity.wordpress.com[/url]

Last edited by kevsealby on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:48 pm 

Thanks for this. I'm planning a trip to Macedonia, Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Albania and Hungary in April, so this is useful :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:12 pm 
Advanced Member

No problems with availability in Serbia or Bulgaria either. All are Italian cup filler, Holland uses the same bayonet as us and Belgium and Germany use the Acme screw (so you may need one of those on your way down). Belgium is also cheaper than anywhere else in the EU but it was about half the price when I crossed out of the EU in Poland into Belarus. Serbia may be cheap too as it is non-EU. One thing that is important is to make sure you have a green card for your insurance and it has been specifically marked as valid in Serbia (and any other non-EU country). If not you'll be made to buy 1 months worth of Serbian motor insurance at the border. No idea how much it is these days but it was 140 Euros 4 years ago.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am 

Where can you get the 'Green Card' in advance for thiose countries? When we were in Croatia, we tried to get one for Bosnia. As well as crossing themselves everytime we mentioned we wanted to cross the border(!), no-one could tell us where to get a 'green card', not even a large motor insurance company in Zagreb.

Eventually a helpful hotel owner phoned the border and we were told to get it there, at the crossing. We did so - from a man in a small caravan. The 'green card' was a very thin,. but official looking piece of paper with a stamp on it. I was never convinced it would actually cover anything.

So as much as this sounds like a daft question, what does a green card look like? Did we have the right thing? WOuld it have covered us for anything in event of an indicent? Is it on a 'per country' basis? My gut feel was that it was 40Euros for nothing!

Your thoughts would be appreciated (again),

J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 pm 
Advanced Member

You get the green card from your own insurance company prior to leaving. Your motor insurance covers you for the 'territorial limits' as stated on the policy documents, with some companies it is all EU countries but for most it is UK only. In some cases, even if the territorial limits cover all EU then the cover drops to the legal minimum for that country. So if you have fully comp here, you've got third party only as soon as you cross the channel.

If you contact your insurance company prior to the trip, tell them you need a green card and list the countries you intend to visit or may stray into. The card has a matrix of boxes on it (I've got a couple of old ones somewhere, if I find one I'll scan it and post it on here) with a box per country. Boxes you intend to visit are marked, usually with a stamp, and your insurance cover is extended to fully comp in those countries too. Interestingly, because of one, if not the only, sensible piece of European legislation, your insurance company is not allowed to charge you for extending the cover. They will however, almost certainly charge you an admin fee of £25-40 to issue it and will also try to sell you breakdown cover. For continental breakdown cover I use http://www.vehicle-rescue.com/, pretty cheap with cover from Axa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 am 

Re the green card stuff....

Even though our insurance doc clearly states "this document replaces green cards "etc etc, we still needed to get one at the Bosnian Border, and the also from Bosnia to Montenegro....as mentioned above, silly green bit of paper, each cost us about a tenner for about a weeks cover.

Cheapest LPG for us so far is a tie between Poland and Bosnia at around 50p, but many countries are around 55p.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 am 
Advanced Member

Because the green card is in multiple languages and recognised worldwide, French insurance companies issue one automatically with every policy. Presumably because it is far easier in mainland Europe to stray into an adjacent country. When you buy one at a border, you are actually buying short term insurance with a local insurance company. When I had to buy one in Serbia what I actually got was one months motor insurance from a Serbian insurance company even though I was only driving through the country to get from Bulgaria to Hungary.

The other thing to check before wandering off around the world is the driving licence requirements for the countries you intend to visit. All EU countries will accept your UK photocard licence (but not a paper one) but outside the EU you will almost certainly require an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you can get for £5.50 from a main Post Office (I've just had to renew mine so I could drive a hire car in Korea). See http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 am 

Hmm.. I know i've been here before. No talk of outside the EU, and this was the situation I was in last year with Bosnia. Aviva would not cover me outside these contries, hence looking to buy something at the Bosnian border. So I'm still in the same situation, needing to know how and where I can buy these pieces of paper! Not too bothered about cost as long as it's not crazy.

This from Aviva website:

If you pay an extra premium, your policy can
be extended to provide the same level of cover
in the European Union and some other
European countries listed on page 27, as you
have in the territorial limits. If you want to
extend your policy, you must contact us at
least two weeks beforehand and we will
provide the necessary documents.
THe countries on P27 are:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria,
Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic,
Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France
(including Monaco), Germany, Gibraltar,
Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (including
San Marino and the Vatican City), Latvia,
Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the
Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal,
Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovakia,
Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
(including Liechtenstein).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 am 
Advanced Member

I'll dig one of my old ones out and see what countries are included on the green card, although as on 3 of my trips my ultimate destination was Belarus, I know that was included (but isn't in your list from Aviva). You'll know where to buy the green card at the border because they will check your documents and if the specific country you are entering isn't on the green card you'll be sent to the person that can deal with it (so be prepared for a long wait if you cross borders at night as the insurance selling person may not be there).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am 

Thanks. We'll only ever be crossing during the day, which helps. I'd prefer to sort everything in advance, but don't think that's going to happen. We should be using main border crossings, so hopefully come across more men in dirty caravans asking what currency we wanted to pay in!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:43 pm 
Advanced Member

Euros used to be a good bet but maybe aren't as welcomed these days. You'll never go far wrong with a couple of hundred quid in US Dollars in your pocket though. In Belarus the local currency is the Belarus Rouble but there is a toll on the motorway where they only accept Roubles from locally registered vehicles, any foreign vehicles must pay in Euros or Dollars. In fact, my wife is from Belarus and her visa had to be paid for at the British Embassy in Minsk in US Dollars, they wouldn't even accept Pounds Sterling!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:49 pm 

Yep, we only needed green cards (ie extra Insurance cover) for Bosnia and Montenegro from the countries listed above.

One hurdle worth mentioning...AA European Breakdown does not cover you for Spain and Portugal..(ridiculous), you have to buy that seperately...thank god we broke down in civilised Estonia....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:10 pm 

Just to add Serbia is on the p27 list, any UK insurance you have should cover you third party in Serbia. Bosnia, Macedonia & Montenegro you will need either Uk green card or local third party insurance which you can get on the border.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:43 am 
Advanced Member

genboris wrote:
local third party insurance which you can get on the border.
but they will charge you for a month's cover even if you are only driving through. Usual cost is 100-150 Euros. If using a green card, you must have the country specificity marked or they will declare it not valid for that country.