LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 pm 

I'm off to Disneyland Paris with the family on Sunday.

Should I fill up at Dover or is it currently cheaper in Calais?

Also if anyone has a map of LPG stations on the way down to Paris I would be very grateful. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm 
Advanced Member

Calais. The BP in Dover is not the cheapest but there is a big Total station as you come out of the ferry port in Dover. As you come out of the ferry port you are straight onto dual carriageway but a couple of miles down there is a sliproad signposted city centre. Take that but instead of turning right and going towards the city centre, turn left (big roundabout), the filling station is on the right. Don't forget you'll need an adapter to fill over there but that place is used to it and has them on the shelf (as do most of the filling station but that filling station is more expensive than at other places obviously). You don't need a map, all of the Autoroute services sell LPG as do virtually all of the hypermarkets. The hypermarkets are cheaper too. Not sure what the prices are at the moment but I'm over there next Thursday so will know for definite but I think it is around 90 Euro cents on the Autoroutes and 10 or more cents cheaper in the hypermarkets.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:17 pm 

Thanks for the info. I've already got an adaptor, I'm well prepared.

Should I stick to the toll roads for the entire journey?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 pm 
Advanced Member

Just noticed a typo in my previous. I should have said there's a big Total station a couple of miles after you come out of the port in CALAIS, not Dover. In fact it's here http://goo.gl/maps/uG7Qf

It's considerably easier even if a bit boring but there isn't really anything like a direct route so unless you want to take 2 days over the journey, Autoroute it is. You'll be looking at roughly £25 in tolls. EuroDisney is quite a way out to the East of Paris just off the A104 so the most direct route is A26, A1, and then off to the East around CdG airport area. The signposting is a little intermittent (a throwback to when the French didn't really want it there) so you'll see one signpost and then none for miles making you think you've taken a wrong turning somewhere.

I'm driving down to Nice next Thursday night so I'm looking at about 13 hours, 5 fill ups and £90 in tolls......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 am 

I've driven directly through Paris many times on the way from Calias to Spain and was suprised how much longer it seemed to be to Euro Disney than to the city centre.

Even paying for the tolls your journey costs will be less than the same distance in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:28 am 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
Not sure what the prices are at the moment but I'm over there next Thursday so will know for definite but I think it is around 90 Euro cents on the Autoroutes and 10 or more cents cheaper in the hypermarkets.

Just returned from a holiday over there and although only used LPG (GPL over there) to fill up a campervan vapour tank this time I can confirm what Gilbertd said. Supermarket prices between 78 and 83 c/litre, with the advantage you can stock up with cheap wine at the same time...

First time I took an LPG fuelled vehicle over there in March this year I was worried about availability, but found no problems. Only thing to watch out for is that although supermarket pumps usually have one pump that is usuable 24 hours, the LPG pump won't be so you'd have to go elsewhere if travelling at night.

Have a look on YouTube for a guide on how to use the French filler nozzle - it's really simple and I prefer it to the kinds we have over here. Yet another reason to move there...better weather, food, wine and LPG fillers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm 
Advanced Member

For those that are interested, I got back a few hours ago. 1900 miles since Thursday evening so filled up quite a few times. Every Autoroute filling station was charging 0.94 Euro at litre which at the rate I got works out at 76p. The Total station in Calais was slightly cheaper at 0.88 Euro. For anyone planning on going anywhere near Paris, my advice would be don't! The A1 is closed just before it enters the Peripherique so instead of driving past the Stade de France, you end up being diverted around all the backstreets next to it. Eventually, after a delay of 25 minutes according to my Garmin, I was back where I wanted to be until I took the A6b to get onto the A6. That is shut too and the diversion for that takes you miles out of your way (A10 then N104), adding another 45 minutes to the journey. Much as I hate the A26 Reims route as it has to be the most boring stretch of road in the world, I came back that way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 am 
Intermediate Member

I'm glad you mentioned that about Paris, as I'm heading to Aulnay this weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 am 

Gilbertd wrote:
For those that are interested, I got back a few hours ago. 1900 miles since Thursday evening so filled up quite a few times. Every Autoroute filling station was charging 0.94 Euro at litre which at the rate I got works out at 76p. The Total station in Calais was slightly cheaper at 0.88 Euro.

I filled up at the same Total station on the way back. I also came off the toll road to fill up at Arras on the way down.

In total I filled up three times for the whole trip. I had to fill up at Shell on the A303 as my local Sainsburys has decided to put up the price from 69.9p to 79.9p. I addressed this with them after I stopped filling at £9.00 after a minor shock. They said they had been so cheap for so long that they had to put up the price. I explained to them that it will now cost me an extra £11.00 to fill up there compared to Bristol Cribbs Causeway at 64.7p.