LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robbing b"*%£*^s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 am 

Just got renewal notice - last year was £420 including a credit charge for paying monthly, and also a 10% discount for LPG, this year it's £676 including credit charge but they don't offer a discount for LPG anymore. Nothing's changed, still on max NCB, still all the same circumstances but an increase of £256! At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

Oh, and these robbing scrotes are MoreThan. Having recommended them to folks oh here in the past, I'd now say don't touch with a barge pole.

Post subject: Re: Robbing b"*%£*^s
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:13 pm 
Advanced Member

Try doing an online quote. Guy at work had exactly the same last week, renewal had gone through the roof but an online quote gave him slightly less than he paid last year. Rang them to be told that they couldn't match the online quote so he cancelled the insurance and immediately took them up on their own online quote.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

Gilbertd wrote:
Rang them to be told that they couldn't match the online quote so he cancelled the insurance and immediately took them up on their own online quote.

how can the same co. not match their own quote?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm 
Advanced Member

I have absolutely no idea but they couldn't. They said it was something to do with the online quote being cheaper to encourage new business (so the renewal will probably go up again next year). They probably work on the principle that most people don't shop around they just renew, particularly if they are paying by monthly direct debit where they will tell you to do nothing and it will automatically renew.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:21 pm 

Gilbertd wrote:
Try doing an online quote. Guy at work had exactly the same last week, renewal had gone through the roof but an online quote gave him slightly less than he paid last year. Rang them to be told that they couldn't match the online quote so he cancelled the insurance and immediately took them up on their own online quote.

Thank you sir, I'll give it a try. Although to be honest, I'm not hopeful. First of all, I've already done the websites and call centres of half a dozen different companies and they're all within ten or fifteen quid of each other - even with the 'new customers only' discount. And secondly, a friend of a friend works in the insurance industry and he reckons that the whole of the PR postcode area (that's Preston, Lancs) has been loaded with increased premiums due to so many "crash for cash" incidents happening.

And something else that I didn't know - but shouldn't be surprised about because they'll think of new ways to squeeze cash from us all day long - is that while talking to the droid in the call centre she asked if there were still two cars in the household and I said no, we don't need two at the moment because my wife, who used to do a 35-mile round trip to her office every day, has now been moved to an office in our own town centre, so no need for a second car. "Well," she said, "I'm afraid that that will increase the premium by £50 because when you have two cars the risk is spread. With only one car, it takes all the risk so the premium increases".

I'd love to tell you all what I think of insurance companies but it wouldn't make it through the obscenity filters :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:03 pm 

Surely it's about time that 3rd party insurance was obtained as part and parcel of the road fund licence and, if required or desired, owners then purchase additional comprehensive cover.
In the countries where this system has been adopted, insurance premiums have remained at an ethical and sensible level, unlike here where the insurance companies consider they have a licence to print money as long as they have the govenment and DVLA assisting them at every turn to fleece car owners.

I know several owners who keep their classic cars off the road during the winter, but keep them taxed rather than keep putting them on a SORN. They now have to either go through the hassle of SORNing for half the year or insuring these cars while they're sat in garages or under covers. I bet the insurance companies are rubbing their hands with glee over this.

I'm all for ensuring that cars without tax, insurance and MOT are off the road, but there must be a way of doing so without reliance on a business sector that operates in such underhand ways to the detriment of their customers?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:56 pm 
Advanced Member

I'm about to have a little argument with DVLA over this new scheme as I've just received a letter telling me I've either got to SORN (and return the tax disc) or insure a 1958 Austin Healey that is registered in my name. Now as I have a trade policy I could just add it to that and be done with it but as it isn't in use don't see why I should. In conjunction with a friend in France, we've been importing cars from the US. To register something that doesn't have EU type approval in France is an absolute nightmare so they are shipped to the UK where I put them through an MOT and register them here before taking them to France. Once there, they are stripped and rebuilt to near perfect condition before being advertised for sale. As by this time they are registered in the UK it is relatively simple to transfer them to another EU countries registration. But, to transfer them they have to be legal in their current country of registration so must be MoT'd and taxed. So I'm expected to either SORN or insure a car that is in the process of being completely rebuilt in a different country.........

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 pm 

Good luck with that Gilbert, the car i bought in nov was sorned by previous owner, however, when i went to tax it the other day i was asked if i'd sorned it!!!! errrrr no you lot sent me the log book so i assumed it was still sorn!!! so she says that according to the database there was nothing on it, sorn or insurance, so i pointed out that she had the insurance, mot and log book in her hand, which was MOT'd the day before and insured on 28th dec so i could take it for MOT!!!! so if they dont know how the system works, what flippin chance have you got? lol mind you the main office at Pboro may have a better idea :wink: had to register my bike there when i bought it from NI, on Lincoln rd i think

My lad is trying to insure my old Cougar at the mo, his renewal on his ST24 was 800, from 570 last year, he got a couple of quotes on the Cougar, one refused stating it was quote 'a sports car' unquote and that he's under 25!!!! lmfao its a sodding ST24 with a different top he tells em, oh is it? the lady replies lol the other company was Adrian Flux (who i'm with) at 1300 which as stated in the OP is flippin Dick Turpin in a red dress!!!!! Thieving scumbags!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 pm 
Advanced Member

Yup, 88 Lincoln Road. I've registered so many cars in there recently that the last time I went in, I handed my passport and a couple of utility bills to prove my identity and address and she looked at me and said, "I don't need those, I know who you are!" It's correct though. If a vehicle is on SORN and changes hands, the SORN is automatically cancelled so the new owner has to SORN it again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 am 
Intermediate Member

Annoyingly we're about to come up against this new change in the rules requiring it to be insured or SORNed - what are you expected to do when selling a car? My wife should be picking up the new one (soon to be LPG converted!) this weekend so will obviously change her insurance to the new vehicle. It would be good to sell her old one with a current tax disc, not least because if cashing it in she will lose 3 weeks worth of tax. Plus it makes it easier for test drives and less hassle for the new owner.

Insuring them both isn't an option as they make it so expensive to insure a second vehicle and you can only use your NCB on one (WTF is that? They've already given the example above that a second car spreads the risk so why can't you use your NCB on two vehicles?) We're hoping to get away with it in the short period it's for sale, but it really annoys me! :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 am 
Advanced Member

You used to be able to add a second temporary vehicle to an insurance policy to cater for just this situation. My insurers used to charge me a £10 admin fee for 30 days cover. Whether they will still do it will probably depend on who you are insured with but it might be worth asking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:46 pm 
Intermediate Member

That may be worth a try, although I know the insurance company I use have really hiked the price on that - something like £60 for two weeks cover (I didn't accept their kind offer) when I enquired about adding something a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:55 pm 
Advanced Member

Robbing b"*%£*^s Mk 2!!! My missus has held a full Belarusian driving licence and used to drive a company Lada before moving to the UK. For the first 12 months of residency she could drive on her Belarus licence but then had to take a UK test and get a UK one. For various reasons she didn't do anything about it for a couple of years but just recently has decided that she has had enough of waiting for buses.

Now, it cost over £600 to insure her TPFT on a 1.4 Tigra anyway but how about this. She passed her UK test this morning and was advised by the examiner that she would need to amend her insurance. Guess what, now she has a full licence they want an additional £700! £1300 a year to insure a car that the insurance company value at £300.

Robbing b"*%£*^s........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 pm 

MKIII
My lad has just taken ownership of my old cougar V6, he had an ST24......same car in essence, thieving b^&*%%£$ want another £500 and thats the ones that would insure him cos he's under 25!!!!! ffs its the same car almost, but according to the nice young lady on the phone its 'a sports car sir' are you havin a larf love?, its a dog slow Mondeo coupe is what it is lol anything else in that size range (excluding Hyundai lol) has at least another 50bhp to play with
anyways he ended up with TPFT for the same price as his renewal on the mongy Fully comp!!!!
£800 is a b***y rip off!!!