LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:54 pm 

I've just had my wife's 2007 Beetle converted to LPG. Seems a great job, I'm really pleased.
Only issue is that the LPG tank is in the spare wheel recess. As the boot is so small, there's nowhere to keep the spare wheel but on the back seat of the car - very dangerous (and prob illegal) as it's unsecured.
My response was to get a can of Tyreweld and leave the spare wheel at home, but it transpires that our breakdown cover (AXA) will not work on a car without a useable spare wheel. I pointed out that some cars are now supplied new without a spare wheel, but their view is that if a car was designed with a spare wheel it must carry one.
I guess a space-saver wheel would be an option, but does anyone know of a breakdown cover with a more enlightened approach?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:51 pm 

There's no legal requirement for a spare wheel (but if you have one, it must be fit for the purpose).

They probably don't want to use their recovery service to transport a car with such an easily solved fault as a flat tyre. If that's the case, they should not cover the new cars with no spare, either.

Either that or they don't want their "roadside fix" statistics to be knackered because their mechanics aren't competent to troubleshoot LPG problems.

Are there any companies that operate call-out tyre replacement, like Hi Q do for trucks? Perhaps if you had such cover, they would not have a problem covering for other eventualities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:14 pm 

I've heard the RAC are happy to help as so many cars these days don't have spares. Worth giving them a call and asking.

http://www.rac.co.uk/press-centre/press-releases/post/2009/6/motorists-caught-unaware-without-a-spare/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:21 am 
Intermediate Member

Can you not say to them that you'll accept the risk of a puncture (which are rare nowadays, and you have a can of goo as a back up) but the fact you're not carrying a spare should not prejudice other aspects of the mechanical cover?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:08 pm 

Check again with AXA you may get a different response from a different call operator, it might be worth chasing to a higher calibre person if your insurance is with AXA. If not the CO-operative offer LPG cover (if certificated as installed professionaly) for no extra charge and offer breakdown service as well.

No doubt there are others who are not so sticky. Axa is French owned and in France they offer discount of up to 30% for LPG car insurance and intergral breakdown cover home start so I have no idea why the UK office is saying this to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm 

First of all, thanks very much for the help.
I've done a bit of following up now, but still haven't reached the bottom.

The AA tell me (and I have this in writing) that a car supplied with a spare wheel is illegal to drive without one. They said it would fail an MOT on this basis. They would therefore refuse to attend if a car originally supplied with a spare wheel had no serviceable spare (in practice I'm sure that would only apply to a puncture - they're not going to ask about spare wheels if you're stuck with a flat battery).

I spoke with Kwikfit about the MOT issue - they said that lack of a spare tyre was not a reason to fail the test. They were not, however, sure about whether the car was illegal to drive without a spare.

The RAC (and thanks for the press release link above) said that they weren't certain about the legality, but that they would have no problem in attending, attempting to fix at roadside, towing up to 10 miles if necessary free, but that towing beyond this would incur a penalty.

Next action for me is to chase up Axa - and if they won't play to switch to RAC. Also to check Highway Code re the legality issue.

I'll post back here anything I find - I won't be the only one with this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:58 pm 
Advanced Member

GrayJ wrote:
The AA tell me (and I have this in writing) that a car supplied with a spare wheel is illegal to drive without one. They said it would fail an MOT on this basis. They would therefore refuse to attend if a car originally supplied with a spare wheel had no serviceable spare (in practice I'm sure that would only apply to a puncture - they're not going to ask about spare wheels if you're stuck with a flat battery).

I spoke with Kwikfit about the MOT issue - they said that lack of a spare tyre was not a reason to fail the test. They were not, however, sure about whether the car was illegal to drive without a spare.
The AA are talking out of their a*se. Whether or not a car was originally supplied with a spare is irrelevant and, contrary to what I have always believed, it will still pass an MoT if the spare is flat or illegal (see the MoT testers manual here http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm).

I actually had first hand experience of this last week. Out H&S manager at work has decided that the highly skilled engineers they employ are not trained, skilled or qualified to change a wheel so all our company vehicles have had the spares removed. I got a flat last Wednesday evening which, by the time I realised all was not well and stopped, had caused the sidewall to start to delaminate. No chance of blowing it up so the AA were summoned. I was collected on a recovery truck and taken home. The next morning an AA man arrived at my house, removed the wheel and took it to the tyre fitters for a new tyre and refitted it for me. All a bit pathetic really when I could have had the wheel changed in under half an hour, instead I had to wait the best part of 2 hours to be collected and a further hour the following day while a new tyre was being fitted.

The recovery driver told me that a lot of companies have taken the same view and have either removed the spare wheel or left the spare and removed the jack and wheelbrace (at least then the AA man can fit it). So, considering a huge proportion of vehicles on the road are company owned or leased and most companies have a H&S manager that doesn't actually want anyone to do anything in case they hurt themselves, the odd extra one not carrying a spare because there's a gas tank in the hole is pretty irrelevant.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm 

Another thing is how to secure spare wheel in the luggage compartment in proper manner. Same story as with lpg tank - weight + speed = see you...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:06 pm 

when the F430 turned up that did not have one you can order one if wanted
even out 1.9cdti zafira company hag's done have them as std it was some like £250 for one under the car

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:28 pm 

Some late MG's had a pump and can of tyre repair as standard with a spare wheel being optional.

The spare wheel does not feature in the MOT what so ever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:46 pm 

Talkingcars wrote:
Some late MG's had a pump and can of tyre repair as standard with a spare wheel being optional.

The spare wheel does not feature in the MOT what so ever.

it dose only if fitted
if its in the car it needs to be a good one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 am 
Installer

Quote from AA legal advice
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/le ... tyres.html
"You are not obliged to carry a spare and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. The spare is not tested in the MOT but the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy. "

It would clearly be tosh to require a servicable spare ... if you ever needed to fit it, you would then have an unserviceable spare to drive away with ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm 
Advanced Member

dannyf wrote:
if its in the car it needs to be a good one
No it doesn't, only if fitted (in which case it isn't a spare any more). From the MoT testers manual here http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm.

Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.

I was always under the impression that it was a fail if you had an illegal spare but it isn't, it's an advisory only.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 am 

My recomendation for breakdown is Swinton. The cover they sell is paid monthly and is a monthly contract. It costs me £7 per month, thats full European cover with get you home, to your destination or garage (your choice). They have no problem with LPG or no spare. They call out generic recovery folk, most companies that work like that have so many catches in their contracts that they never agree to a tow home or there is a 100 mile maximum etc etc.

I have had to use them twice, once a puncture (shreaded tyre on motorway) once a knacked petrol pump (didn't know about emergency start on gas!) Both times recovery truck turned up and I said I wanted to be towed home (one was 150miles other was nearly 300), both times driver had to call it through for authorisation, both times driver said all these companies are a rip off and they will never authorise such a long tow without me having to pay something, both times they seemed blown away that Swinton authorised the tow at no cost to me.

I've not had other quotes for years, so have no idea if £7 per month is cheap compared to others. But for peace of mind £7 seems like peanuts to me! It doesn't cover home start etc but the really clever part is that me, wife and kids are covered if we are in ANY other vehicle! They towed my wife's mate 55 miles home just because my wife was in the car when she broke down.

We joke that they are so good we might start using them instead of buying fuel!

Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:33 am 

That is a good recomendation.

However most recovery trucks are only licenced and taxed to take opperate within a 100 mile raduis of their base.

RAC cover the member and not the vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:26 pm 

Talkingcars wrote:
That is a good recomendation.

However most recovery trucks are only licenced and taxed to take opperate within a 100 mile raduis of their base.

Disclaimer - this was a long time ago so things may have changed now. However....

My wife and I were staying at a caravan park in Modbury, Devon (not far from Plymouth), for a week. Two days before we were due home we went to Dawlish for the day and broke down but, being a lovely day and having a taste for beer, we decided to get a B&B for the night, have a few pints, then call the breakdown service the day after. Called Green Flag on Friday morning who came out and diagnosed a faulty radiator, to which I replied, "But it's only two months old and is therefore under warranty, so I don't think you should attempt any repairs in case you invalidate it".

They then loaded us up on the recovery truck, took us back to the caravan site in Modbury, waited for us to pack up our stuff and then got us back to Preston, Lancashire, dropping the car off at the garage that previously fitted the rad and then took us home - excellent service from Green Flag.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:54 pm 

why is it dangerous? just get a spare wheel cover and use rear seat belt to secure it..easily sorted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:50 am 

gasbo wrote:
why is it dangerous? just get a spare wheel cover and use rear seat belt to secure it..easily sorted

It is dangerous as seatbelts are designed to restrain people and spare wheels aren't shaped like people!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

Talkingcars wrote:
gasbo wrote:

It is dangerous as seatbelts are designed to restrain people and spare wheels aren't shaped like people!

get real dude...you'll die of high blood pressure worrying about something trivial like this

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:11 pm 

gasbo wrote:
Talkingcars wrote:
gasbo wrote:

get real dude...you'll die of high blood pressure worrying about something trivial like this

I glad most people are more in touch with what is trivial and what's not.