LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:47 am 

We just bought an S6 Avant with an LPG kit already fitted, went to change over the car insurance to the S6 with our current insurance & they wanted £600 more!!!

I did some quotes online last night with compare the market & the S6 was only £7 more than the Audi allroad we had previously insured but with the LPG added as a modification it was £190 extra on compare the market. So the S6 without LPG is only £7 more than the allroad, so it's not a change in car that's bumped up the premium. Add the LPG & it's an extra £190 so why do our insurance company want over £600 more?

I'm bloody gobsmacked!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm 

Vote with your feet and move to another insurance company.
Try ringing Chris Knott who sponsers the forum and see what they quote you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm 

The problem we have is we had a claim for flood damage on our old allroad & because of the claim they won't give us any of the premium back. We paid £500 up front only three months ago. We have emailed them to ask why they want so much extra to add the S6 with LPG.

If we have no joy with them, then we will probably be better off getting new insurance somewhere else for 12 months rather than giving them £600 for the remaining 9 months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:49 am 

They could very well be loading your premium for that claim then. It would be interesting to see how much your renewal will be on your current vehicle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 pm 

Dave_G wrote:
They could very well be loading your premium for that claim then. It would be interesting to see how much your renewal will be on your current vehicle

I'd almost guarantee that's the cause. Insurance companies are crafty - even with protected No Claims Discount, if you claim, your wallet still gets mugged at renewal because your premium goes up. For example, if you got 65% NCD and your premium was £400, you may find that you still get 65% NCD but your premium is now £700.

Now that Chris Knott has ties to the forum I'd give them a try first, otherwise try MoreThan, who, as you can see from my posting in this thread (scroll down a bit), viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6086&start=30 actually give a 10% DISCOUNT for LPG.