LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm 

Just thought I would let you guys know my plight.

I have recently converted my car to LPG, the second car I have done so far.

I am currently insured with swiftcover.com, I contacted them to see if they wanted an inspection done by a registered fitter as my previous insurer did. The responce was they will only cover professionally converted cars so I must remove the kit and have it fitted professionally or cancel.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:12 pm 
Advanced Member

Vote with your feet and tell them to get stuffed there's plenty of other insurers out there. I wouldn't recommend Swiftcover to anyone seeing how they treated a friend of mine.

She has her first ever car that is her own, a Renault Megane Coupe. Unfortunately she got a bit too close to a lorry going round a roundabout and put a gouge in the rear wing. Car went in to be inspected by Swiftcover's approved repairer who told her it would be written off. Although the damage was solely on the rear wing, being a coupe, to repair it to insurance standards would require a complete rear 3/4 assembly. However, all they offered her was £900 less £350 excess on a car that she had paid £1100 for 6 months previously. Quite how she was expected to replace like for like on that I have no idea. She got a quote from another repairer. To repair it to an acceptable standard for a 9 year old car by pushing the dent out from inside, skimming and painting, £250. Swiftcover refused to pay for the repair but suggested that she could allow them to write the car off but keep the car and have it repaired at her own cost. Considering the damage was solely panel damage and she was still using it every day, this seemed perfect. So she went for that, they gave her £900, less £350 excess, less £200 which was what they valued the salvage at. Great, she thinks. £450 in my hand, £250 to get the car repaired, £200 in her pocket. Got the car repaired and drives it around. Only to get a letter from Swiftcover requesting she send the policy documents back. She phoned them to see why to be told that they do not insure write offs and as they had entered her car as a Cat C write off, they would not be prepared to insure her.

They are quick and cheap but with insurance you only find out if you are getting decent cover if you claim or do something out of the ordinary.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:15 pm 

Tell em to poke it, there are plenty of companies who will insure you with an LPG kit that has been self installed, as long as it has an inspection cert for the installation,(It basically puts the responsibility onto the inspector) and you'll quite probably find that they will be cheaper too

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm 

Thanks for your responses so far, I hope there will be more so as to help others.

Churchill have just said the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 pm 

I have recently insured through Chris Knott who is now a forum sponsor and they didn't ask who had fitted the kit if that's any help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm 

Quote:
Swiftcover refused to pay for the repair but suggested that she could allow them to write the car off but keep the car and have it repaired at her own cost. Considering the damage was solely panel damage and she was still using it every day, this seemed perfect.

Thats standard practice with most companies.. Its called cash in lieu of repairs.......
Somebody ran into back of my wife's Micra. Other company accepted full liability gave her £800, I repaired the bumper and re-aligned tail gate and rear door in an afternoon. Category C write off. Had to be inspected by ministry people. £53 for 5 minutes work!!!
Insurance companies repairs are supposed to be for putting the car back to the condition it was before the accident,,,,, which doesnt mean filler in a dent but a new panel....
Also when they offer you money for your write off,,, argue with them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Dave_G wrote:
I have recently insured through Chris Knott who is now a forum sponsor and they didn't ask who had fitted the kit if that's any help

did they ask to if you had it checked?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 am 

No, just put on my documents that it was modified as it had lpg fitted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm 
Advanced Member

Gremlin wrote:
Thats standard practice with most companies.. Its called cash in lieu of repairs.......
Somebody ran into back of my wife's Micra. Other company accepted full liability gave her £800, I repaired the bumper and re-aligned tail gate and rear door in an afternoon. Category C write off. Had to be inspected by ministry people. £53 for 5 minutes work!!!
Insurance companies repairs are supposed to be for putting the car back to the condition it was before the accident,,,,, which doesnt mean filler in a dent but a new panel....
Also when they offer you money for your write off,,, argue with them.
Yes, my ex bought a written off Porsche 924 a few years ago, I repaired it for her and she used it for 4 years before somebody drove into it and the insurance company wrote it off again. We kept the car and they knocked a couple of hundred off their payment (which was still more than had been paid for it 4 years previously) in lieu. I then repaired it again and sold it. By the time she had finished she had a much newer Porsche 944 that had actually cost her nothing!

My point in the recent story is that Swiftcover were quite happy to let her keep the car and make a payment in lieu of repair but they didn't class it as such. They wrote the car off, allowed her to keep the salvage (and reduced their payout to suit) but then refuse to continue to insure the car as they don't insure previously written off cars. How many 10 year old cars don't have the odd dent that has been filled and sprayed over?

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 pm 

I'm with Swiftcover and have been for 2 years... When I called about LPG they said the same, nust be fitted by a professional. I asked for the definition of a professional and they said "A Mechanic"... Happy days :roll:

I also rang them again to ensure it was recorded on the policy documents :roll:

That said... Not sure I'll be staying with them another year. I've not had bad experiences apart from them quoting a stupid amount (60% of the Annual Policy) to add a friend to the wife's Panda for a fortnight... And he's not exactly a high risk group either :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 am 
Intermediate Member

CougarV6 wrote:
Tell em to poke it, there are plenty of companies who will insure you with an LPG kit that has been self installed, as long as it has an inspection cert for the installation,(It basically puts the responsibility onto the inspector) and you'll quite probably find that they will be cheaper too

Be very careful about this, it does not put any responsibilty onto the inspector. If the vehicle inspected is good at the time of inspection then that is what he is putting his name to, as soon as it leaves the responsibility is with the owner.

this is especially true of DIY conversions as people will always tinker with things they have installed themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 am 

Agreed, but the inspector checked the install to LPGa regs, if somebody tinkers with it after it leaves his place that not his concern, its the owners. Was merely pointing out that when it was inspected it was a correct installation ;-)