LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm 
Intermediate Member

So I rang Admiral who are dirt cheap price wise anyway to let them know of my conversion. The first guy said I did not need a certificate but then changed his mind after talking to a supervisor but I only needed a safety report. So I spoke to a supervisor to check.
The second person said it had to be a LPGA certificate and must have been fitted by a LPGA installer. That stumped them because I fitted it myself, so off he went to the higher supervisor again who said OK but a LPGA certificate is needed and not the lesser safety check. They wanted £39 extra but I knocked them down to £21.
Got there in the end and they are very cheap .
The full LPGA certificate is around £100 all in and a safety report £50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:39 pm 

im with them and just sent in my LPGA cert. They said they didnt need it, but if i had it to send it just for the records!

They charged me extra too! How did you get them down on price??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:03 pm 
Intermediate Member

I just made 'confused from the LPG forum at the cost' type noises. I also reminded them that some companies are giving a discount too for LPG. The multi car policy is cheap so I did'nt push it too far.
The AA wanted £49 for remewal recovery the other day so I phoned up to cancel and they dropped to £29.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:53 am 

I've been with Direct Line for the last nine years (who knew about the LPG Conversion but have never asked for the LPGA Certificate, relying instead on my confirmation that I have one. Presumably I'd only have to actually produce it in the event of a claim). This year they decided to increase my renewal premium to £290, which represents an increase of £105 over last year's premium of £185, despite my having no claims in this or any previous year (in fact, I've never claimed on any insurance policy since I started driving in 1980).

My response was to toddle off to Confused/GoCompare/Moneysupermarket, etc.

Ended up with Admiral at £167, with Courtesy Car, Legal Protection, etc thrown in (all of which would have been added chargeable extras with Direct Line). This is also with only a £50 Voluntary Excess (as opposed to the previous £200 with DL).

Result! Nearly £20 cheaper than last year, with better cover as well. Their online application form had a selection of tick-boxes for modifications, one of which was for LPG, which I obviously ticked as part of the process.

Given that the quoted premium was only £167, I would presume therefore that Admiral don't load it for LPG Conversions. The policy documents now received also clearly show the modification.

They haven't at any point asked for any details of the LPG conversion, nor asked for any evidence of it being certificated in any way. All they wanted was proof of my NCB, which was duly sent off to them. So, all in all, it's a thumbs up for Admiral so far.

I had to chuckle at one thing though - In their website's list of modifications, LPG is shown with the explanation 'Low Pressure Gas' in brackets next to it. The policy documents received also show the same thing. I would have thought that an insurance company of their size and stature would know what the abbreviation 'LPG' stands for, but hey-ho.

(Now watch someone pop my bubble by saying that 'Liquified Petroleum Gas' and 'Low Pressure Gas' are not the same thing, so my insurance is probably invalid...!)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:51 pm 

Torbay wrote:
I would presume therefore that Admiral don't load it for LPG Conversions. The policy documents now received also clearly show the modification.

They do. I'm now with them and they wanted a further £30-£40 for the LPG, but beat everyone else by £500 odd so I wasn't to fussed.

Whats it down as on your policy though? They've marked mine up as 'Low Pressure Gas' :?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:20 pm 
Advanced Member

I suppose it depends how you look at it. LPG as we understand it, is low pressure gas compared with the alternative of compressed natural gas. I woulder what they would say if you told them a car was converted to run on CNG?

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm 

MEP wrote:
They've marked mine up as 'Low Pressure Gas' :?

Now you have to be very careful here. Your Policy document forms part of the contract between you and the insurer and you have a responsibility to inform the insurer if there is anything in the policy that is not correct. Even if it's a typo. (And the reverse is also the case). So I would call them and inform them that your policy says Low Pressure Gas when it is in fact Liquid Petroleum Gas. If they say that's OK, then it's fine (and just different terms being used) but make a note of the date and time of your call and who you spoke to so that in the event of any come back you have a defence.

Remember, it is in all insurance company's best interests not to pay out, so they will use any wiggle room they can.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm 

@ MEP

The policy documents clearly show (under the 'Modifications' section) "Low Pressure Gas (LPG)"

Perhaps they do load the premium for it, if you were adding it to a quote or an existing policy. Having entered all the details to arrive at the final quote there could be a loading in amongst my final £167 quote, but I wasn't too bothered about that since it was still £123 less than what Direct Line wanted.

So much for loyalty to their Customer after nine years with them and never a claim: I learnt a long time ago (as with all other insurances, bank accounts , utilities and the like) to shop around ruthlessly each year - none of them have any interest in Customer Retention, preferring to dangle their biggest carrots in front of new customers, and if Admiral come out significantly more expensive than another company at renewal time, they go out of the window too!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:18 pm 

My nephew is "insured" with Admiral. We converted his car early this year so he had a certified conversion. He notified the insurance company, had to pay for the change in details.
Recently someone stole his car keys from his house and took the car. They damaged the car, emptied it of his personal belongings and abandoned it.
Admiral asked for all the usual documents etc and LPG conversion certificate after deciding the car was a total loss. They put a value on the car based on pre event condition BUT they will not pay any extra for it having an LPG Conversion even though they were notified.
Why? Apparently there was a tick box option and additional charge to cover the conversion which he did not select.

Hiding behind small print?

What is it they say?

you only get what you pay for.......
if something is cheaper, it's because someone left something out..

So I would say you need to check every detail very carefully and get confirmation of cover in writing.

CV4 9AP
024 7646 1199
www.lpg-cars.co.uk