LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Online quotes
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:38 pm 

Using an online quote and buy is basically impossible for most LPG cars, because it is a usually a modification, none of the online sites -I have used- allow the quote to proceed if there has been a modification, so you will not get your 10% online discount. Or cashback - if you use cashback websites.

My car on the other hand is sold from new as LPG dual fuel. The annoying thing for me is, that although it is not a modification, they do not list the Dual Fuel variants in the car finder lists on the insurance sites. And when you enter your Reg No. it just finds the car as the normal model, does not list it as Dual Fuel.

All the Used car price websites like Wisebuyers and Parkers, have no trouble obtaining manufacturer/model/derivative lists that do include the Dual Fuel variants, so why can't the insurance companies do the same? Also the cars are listed on DVLA as Gas Bi-fuel so again, why can't the insurance co's use this data?

Anyway, I am so far just playing dumb, as the vehicle is correctly identified, make and model, and basic derivative description. And I can correctly affirm that there has been no modification from the original spec from new.... So I'll just cross that bridge if it ever comes to it.

Actually, I think I do vaguely remember one insurer had a "Dual Fuel" in the list of derivative options, for a newer (2005/6) version of the Corsa, but did not list it for the 2001/2/3/4 model.

Post subject: Re: Online quotes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:40 pm 
Intermediate Member

Rosanbo wrote:
Using an online quote and buy is basically impossible for most LPG cars, because it is a usually a modification, none of the online sites -I have used- allow the quote to proceed if there has been a modification, so you will not get your 10% online discount. Or cashback - if you use cashback websites.

My car on the other hand is sold from new as LPG dual fuel. The annoying thing for me is, that although it is not a modification, they do not list the Dual Fuel variants in the car finder lists on the insurance sites. And when you enter your Reg No. it just finds the car as the normal model, does not list it as Dual Fuel.

If they aren't allowing you to select a "factory standard" vehicle and it's causing you to lose out, then I'd be off to see my Trading Standards office about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:30 am 

I just went on compare the market.com. they have a tick box in the modifications section for LPG.

So i ticked it & got loads of good prices, when i rang the Post Office, who we're insured with, to discuss the prices the operator told me that although there's a tick box if you try to buy, you'll just get a message to phone them! She quoted me over £100 more!
She then phoned the underwriters and got a bit better price. I asked was that the VERY best she could do, she said she'd make a few calls & call me back, she never did!!

Oh hum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:49 am 

Try MoreThan. They give a - doh, can't remember now if it's 5 or 10% - discount on premiums for LPG :D