LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:41 pm 

Just renewed with esure as they were the cheapest on moneysupermarket but they loaded the premium an extra £60 because of the lpg conversion and many companies would not quote because they do not quote on modified cars!

On the phone they said that LPG systems are expensive to repair after an accident so they have to increase the premium to reflect this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 pm 

I bought my car in July, it cost me £4,000 and it's insured for that sum with MoreThan. I then spent £1,700 on the conversion and contacted MoreThan to inform them of the conversion and to see what happened with my premium (conversion was done at about mid-term of insurance).

I was very surprised to discover that they give a 10% discount for LPG-fuelled (or dual-fuel) vehicles and that it could be given immediately (applied pro-rata). I also specifically asked about the cost of the conversion and what would happen in the event of an accident/whatever and was told that all the LPG equipment would be covered just as if it was factory-fitted original to the car.

I'm rather an 'appy bunny, I can tell you :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:37 pm 

Adrian Flux dont load for LPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 am 

do your search on the insurance websites and put the car in as non modified, then when you have a quote and ref number call and ask about LPG. You will find that most companies do not charge for the gas conversion. But interested to read about the More-than comment about

'that all the LPG equipment would be covered just as if it was factory-fitted original to the car.'

That is a first for me to hear. Every company I takked to said you would lose the gas equipment. But in reality i would remove it and fit to the new car myself then use my installer to finish the job off so it would not cost much really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:02 pm 

jalfrezigazee wrote:
Every company I talked to said you would lose the gas equipment.

But alot of companies don't actually realise what they can and can't do. They have to put you in a possition you were in before the accident, hence covering the price of car renewal, and then fitting of an LPG system if thats what it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 pm 

As I posted elsewhere, different Insurance Companies have different underwriting criteria that determines what happens with LPG Conversion. Some classify it as a modification and all modifications are treated the same, some classify it as an engine modification (same as a chip) and make changes there, whilst others (e.g. RAC) don't charge anything. The only exception I found was that in the event of a claim the RAC would want to see a copy of the LPGA Certificate and the original Invoice to factor into their calculations.

Remember that the screen scrapers (Confused etc) can't take everything into account, so as has been suggested you should probably get an unmodified quote and then ring up the top 5 for a firm quote based on the modification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm 

Most insurance quote sites now have the latest industry standard software that has a tick box for declaring an LPG conversion in the modifications section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30 pm 

junkcatcher wrote:
Most insurance quote sites now have the latest industry standard software that has a tick box for declaring an LPG conversion in the modifications section.

I did recently notice this on confused.com

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm 

Just a note based on recent experience. Policies taken out over the phone or by internet utilise verbal or self typed "statements of fact" from you. So for instance if the inurance company ask you if you have certification don't rely on the fact that they will accept the certificate declared in your "statement of fact" if it comes to the crunch ('scuse the pun). After an insurance company tried to wriggle out of a claim (not car but similar) by disputing a "statement of fact" I now always scan relevant detail to them and ask for confirmation that it is what they expect. Threw my car insurers into a panic when I sent them the gas certs but they provided written confirmation in the end. Beware, there is a lot at stake with motor insurance.