LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: insurance catch 22
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 am 

hello all - first post.... not a happy one :oops:

i've found a conversion place i'm happy with so i phone up my insurance company (been with them for 11 years)

them: you need to have the conversion done by a company who's on our approved lpg installer list.

me: how do i access that list?

them: you can't it's internal.

me: how can i tell if an lpg installer is an approved installer?

them: you have to find an installer and then phone us up to check that their on our list.

me: can you tell me who's on your list for my area so i can go and enquire with them to how much it costs.

them : no our list is internal.

me: can i get it installed by my company and get an lpga cert issued by an approved installer

them : no you need to get it installed by an approved installer.

me: how does an installer get on your list.

them: they need to be approved.

me : how do they get approved.

them :they need to be on our list.

me : thankyou i try else where!

the company i want to use isn't on their list....only cost me £5 and 20 mins to find all this out :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 am 

Ring around... If you've been with the same company for 10 years you're probably paying too much anyway!

Although I'm not running an LPG car at the moment (will be again soon I hope) I didn't have a certificate for my last converted car and never had any problems... In fact, the cheapest quote I got for the car, without declaring the LPG, was from the company I'm with now and they didn't require a cert for the conversion when I declared it on a second quote!

And on top of that, they offset my emissions FOC so I have a carbon neutral car!! Pity I can't get some sort of eco benefit from it though!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:44 am 

update:

well lazydocker you were right - about 2hrs after posting this thread i got a phone call from one of these online quote places.....

found insurance comp. that's happy to insure lpg... doesn't want to see the lgpa cert. is £50 cheaper than my current one and i get free European AA membership as well - how cool is that.

LPG here i come (etc.... :roll: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 pm 
king.module wrote:
update:

well lazydocker you were right - about 2hrs after posting this thread i got a phone call from one of these online quote places.....

found insurance comp. that's happy to insure lpg... doesn't want to see the lgpa cert. is £50 cheaper than my current one and i get free European AA membership as well - how cool is that.

LPG here i come (etc.... :roll: )

It's not too difficult to get insurance for an LPG car.
Except from the Co-op???
Of all companies (with their supposed hippy green mindset), you'd have thought the Co-op would insure a car that runs on a fuel that's far more environmentally friendly than petrol or Diesel (and runs on what is, effectively, a waste by-product), but OH-NO! The Co-op refuse to insure gas modified cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:08 pm 
adebov wrote:

Except from the Co-op???

I have been looking into LPG converions and am insured with Co-op (CIS), checked with them tody due to your comment and got told that they do not allow modifications with the exception of an LPG conversion with a certificate. The only conversions they don't allow is DIY ones or ones without certificates. Also got told that they do not add any cost to the insurance for this so is still at basic cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 pm 
sonsofthedesert wrote:
adebov wrote:

Except from the Co-op???

I have been looking into LPG converions and am insured with Co-op (CIS), checked with them tody due to your comment and got told that they do not allow modifications with the exception of an LPG conversion with a certificate. The only conversions they don't allow is DIY ones or ones without certificates. Also got told that they do not add any cost to the insurance for this so is still at basic cost.

Sounds like they don't quite know what they're doing, because they definitely told me they don't insure gas conversions - They even put my call through to Budget insurance!
I told them I have a LGPA certificate, and they still said they wouldn't insure me (thanks to a dumbass in the CIS call centre, I am now paying more for my insurance, because Budget add a bit onto the price - fortunately they're quite cheap to start with).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:49 pm 
Sorry to hear that mate, I have had it confirmed today as well, the problem is with idiots in call centers which seem to be common in this country.
Promise you though they do actually do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm 
After reading this thread I have just phoned More Than http://www.morethan.com actually give a discount of 5% on insurance with a valid LPG safety certificate. They are also advertising their Green Wheels spy in the cab which records your driving habits and gives you hints on how to reduce consumption. See https://greenwheels.morethan.com/
Looks like More Than are looking for your custom. Mind I don't think they insure under 25s but as I am nearly 50 it doesn't restrict me.