LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Liverpool Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:07 pm 

I've just renewed my insurance and have gone with Liverpool Victoria (for the first time) as they gave the best quote & deal when taking my DIY LPG conversion into account.
They didn't ask for any form of installation certification so I think it's safe to assume they don't ask anyone for it. The policy schedule clearly states "LPG Conversion" so they haven't cocked-up.
Just thought this info may be of use to others.
Stuart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:18 pm 
Same for Bell Direct (part of Admiral).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 pm 

Norwich Union Direct have been no trouble, didn't even ask to see certificate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 am 

I am also with LV and paying significantly less than I did with other companies pre-conversion.

Insuring with LV was completely hassle free all done very quickly on line --- lpg decalared and no hidden charges or extra forms to fill out.
http://www.lv.com/insurance/car_insurance

Liverpool Victoria boast in their advert that most of their customers pay les than £250 per year -- true even if like me you have a largish car that might be expensive to repair and live in an urban post code.

Post subject: Re: Liverpool Victoria
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am 

Hi, my first post.
I just got a quote from Liverpool and Victoria

nice and easy, did it online, clicked modified - LPG..

price not too bad

Then had an online chat - they confirmed that the conversion needs to be done by an approved LPGA/UKLPG installer.

No good for me then as I am planning a DIY conversion :(

But my existing insurer, First Central will insure me for £33 extra per year with no such requirement :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm 
Advanced Member

I appreciate that they say the install needs to have been done professionally, but is there any way they could tell? If you were to buy a car with a conversion already done and you get a certificate, how do you know that the certificate was issued by the installer or the company that certified a DIY install? Obviously they are covering themselves against a real bodge job (what did happen to toolless?) but I can't see any difference between a professional install and a DIY install that has been checked and certied.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
I appreciate that they say the install needs to have been done professionally, but is there any way they could tell?

No, and in truth they don't care. In reality, very few of the people you'd be talking to would have a clue that a DIY install is possible or legal - and they'll just be reading off the script.

From the insurers POV, all they want is it "certified" so they know it isn't an unreasonable risk. Since the only official certification scheme is the UK LPG one, then that's what they'll be asking for. In the past I've had a conversation about this with my insurers (NFU) a few years ago, though actually on behalf of someone else. They said "LPGA certified", but then accepted my certificate with a copy of my training certificate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:55 pm 

Just got a quote from LV for 3.0 S-Type Jag for £635 ! :shock: Got full no claims, no accidents and no convictions etc with a good post code.

Got a quote earlier through gocompare for £363 with Esure.

A bit of advice for everyone regarding the occupation that you disclose. Try tweaking your occupation a little as the insurer that I used last year quoted me £50 less when I changed my occupation from design engineer to mechanical engineer, of which I could both call myself. I tried changing my occupation to Vicar but that was surprisingly more expensive for me. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 am 
Intermediate Member

Insurance companies requirements will vary from one salesperson to another, to their on-line application, to the compare.com to the phase of the moon, and all at the same insurance company. It's not unusual to get a request for a lpga (uklpg now) certificate weeks after joining. They don't know their A from their elbow any of them. Ask to speak to a supervisor and double check what they require.
It will be interesting to see how we know if our conversion has been checked to be on the uklpg register by the insurance firms, or even if they care, now that nonsense has started.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:41 pm 

Phoned my Insurers today (AXA) and they where no problem at all, the only issue is that they will not repair or replace the system if damaged in an accident??? Surely that is why you get insurance! :? .com here we come

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:21 pm 

Beeza410 wrote:
Phoned my Insurers today (AXA) and they where no problem at all, the only issue is that they will not repair or replace the system if damaged in an accident??? Surely that is why you get insurance! :? .com here we come

My insurance company (MoreThan) said that the parts are covered, just like any other part of the car so yes, ditch AXA and have a look for a better company.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:11 pm 

sorcerer wrote:
Beeza410 wrote:

My insurance company (MoreThan) said that the parts are covered, just like any other part of the car so yes, ditch AXA and have a look for a better company.

Have just gone with AXA, They do state that they will not replace the LPG in the event on a claim BUT the quote I got from them was the cheapest
Have gone from LV to AXA