LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Insuring and LPG car
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:19 am 

Have any non LPGA registered convertors had problems getting their work and certification accepted by Insurers recently? <BR> <BR>It would appear that a new insurer's policy (strategy) on LPG conversion has been widely adopted in the last couple of months.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:07 am 

Thanks, it seems the latest trend may have developed later than that, i.e. July '04. <BR> <BR>I know of two people who wanted to renew a policy they had for more than two years and have been told they must now provide an LPGA certificate. <BR> <BR>Others have been told that any new conversion 'must' be carried out by LPGA member companies. <BR> <BR>It is not a change that I am comfortable with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a step towards regulation which should get rid of the cowboys. <BR> <BR>Why are you not comfortable with the change Steve ? <BR> <BR>Damian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:59 am 

Jake, <BR> <BR>I am really surprised that conversion is not deemed to be a modification by your insurer. As far as I am aware, changing somtething less complex such as a stereo or adding a set of alloy rims would be just that, a modification, not least if we accept a dictionary defintion. <BR> <BR>I'm not saying they are wrong or questioning the validity of this, but would like to know on what basis the decision was made. It may help others to know. <BR> <BR>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:31 am 

Clear message here - <BR> <BR>For all with converted cars, Frizzel's are top choice for insurance right now (usual disclaimers and no link of any kind, just a desire for all to get helpful info.).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:08 pm 

Very good points made here. <BR> <BR>Keeping to the theme, something I have not seen mentioned anywhere - <BR> <BR>Don't just assume that the LPG system in your car is covered by your insurer if your car is stolen or written off, it most likely isn't. <BR> <BR>They may have accepted that it is fitted (your vehicle is modified) and swallowed a micron more risk (maybe just statistically based) but that does not mean that they'll simply pay out an extra grand or two in the event of a total loss. <BR> <BR>Let's be fair, in most cases they will not have increased the premium for the converted car, so why should they cover more property? <BR> <BR>If you do want your LPG system protected by insurance cover then you would be wise to ask your insurer how many more £'s they want and on what terms/conditions they would cover it. <BR> <BR>Of course, if an insurer has 'loaded' your policy on the basis of modification (conversion) then it may well be a different story, why would they want more money when other companies charge no extra? <BR> <BR>Anyhow, I'm no Lawyer (and who would want to be!?) so ask your insurer before parting with cash. At least you'll know where you stand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:42 pm 
Installer

I've just been phoning around for insurance quotes and have been very suprised by the number of companys who will not insure a converted car whats so ever. <BR>Maybe a list of companys who will would be a good idea. <BR> <BR>Mike

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits