LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Write-off options
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm 

Hi,

I crashed my BRC converted 2004 ST220 head-on into a taxi :shock: Not my fault though and his insurers have admitted liability as was turning right across my path without indicating or checking for oncoming traffic.

Was doing about 25mph, I've got two broken headlight enclosures (though the Xenon bulb/electronics still work) plus new bumper and headlight washers also required. His insurance company want to write it off category D and offered £3050 (which I think is fair for the unconverted car) minus £720 salvage (which I'm not so sure about!). I brought up that had been converted and sent the receipt for £2200. After lots of discussion they've valued the fact it's been converted as the grand total of £0 as "the LPG conversion wasn't damaged in the accident" and I'm likely to repair it myself if they write it off but have added another £250 for goodwill.

I've said either they repair it or give me fair market value for the whole car plus it's irrelevant what I do with it afterwards if they choose to write it off.

Any thoughts on how much to push for? :) It's a properly done certified conversion done two years ago. There aren't any similar for sale on Autotrader.

Thanks,

Peter.

Post subject: Re: Write-off options
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 pm 

From my experience, many insurers don't class LPG conversions as adding to the value of the car. Hence no increase in premiums and no increase in insured value.

I crashed my Subaru Legacy GTB at relatively low speed (skidded on diesel on a wet carpark), and destroyed the front bumper, wings, headlights, bonnet, radiator and so on. Being an import the cost of repair at an authorised UK body shop was massive (as they went to Subaru UK for prices). My insurance company wrote it off Cat D and paid out about £5000. I bought the parts I needed direct from a place in Tokyo and got them shipped to the body shop that had the car. They fitted them and returned it to the road, leaving me about £2500 in profit :) Insurance premium didn't change.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:18 pm 
Installer

Don't tell the boy racers, Rich! :lol:
If you had a passenger, did their neck hurt?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:50 pm 

Hi,

I heard also that most insurers don't grant any value to conversions from the body shop I took it to for the estimate. They also ignored me when I pointed out the £4k engine rebuild it had done a few years back. Off to the Financial Ombudsman I go I think next! I get the impression this isn't them trying to weasel out of it, it's just that they don't understand what LPG is and think I can pick the conversion up and drop it into any other car at the drop of a hat as if it was a baby car seat.

Thanks,

Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:59 pm 
Intermediate Member

It can sometimes help to find a value from an independent source - Parkers or glasses guide can assist with this, giving a value for a typical model with adjustments for mileage and condition to match yours. I've known someone in the past who had their parked Vecrta hit and written off (ended up nearly a foot shorter than it should have been) gain about £500 on the settlement vs what was originally offered (the original offer was about £1200 from what I remember). The other source you've already tried (similar ones on the open market for sale, which you haven't succeeded in finding one as yet).