LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 am 

recently converted my trike to run LPG insurance company asked for an engineer's report, to avoid further issues I had the trike UKLPG inspected and registered on there database, what a waste of money that was ! insurance company refused to accept the LPG install has been done correctly without an engineer's report the UKLPG database entry is nothing more than a quick check on the day from there opinion, however the insurance company stated that if I had the trike re-MOT'ed they would accept this instead of a engineer's report

I sent my insurance company a screenshot of the UKLPG database entry below is there reply

If you have had an engineers report done then the insurance company need to see a copy of it, unfortunately the screenshot does not confirm you have had the report done. When we visit the website the rest of that screenshot message goes on to advise that the vehicle has been inspected for basic safety and emission requirements as at the day of inspection, and not as a conversion by a UKLPG Approved Autogas Installer.

*** Insurance company *** need to see either the full engineers report, which will be an in depth document, or, a brand new MOT certificate dated after the conversion was carried out.

If you can forward either of these documents to us as soon as you can this will be great.

so according to my insurance company an MOT tester that inspects a LPG system who's never worked with LPG in his life is a better person to say the install has been done correctly on his there and then inspection than a UKLPG member doing his there and then inspection !

obviously there's going to be many phone calls to different people out there, feel free to use this as an example for your insurance company's, doing a self install then getting a fresh MOT done is ALOT cheaper than the new proposed rules set out by UKLPG inspections

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm 
Installer

Seems the insurers told you what they wanted from the outset

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 pm 

Originaly when I was getting quotes for the insurance I declared I was going to modify it the next weekend, at this point the insurance broker said all I had to do was confirm when the conversion was finished, at that point there was no mention of any sort of inspection, when I confirmed the conversion was complete that's when the report was mentioned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:21 pm 

But an MOT test doesn't involve any inspection of the LPG system at all, does it?

I always present on petrol, and the tester has never commented on the existence of the LPG. I don't suppose he has even noticed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:47 pm 

Think it was the 2013 UK MOT updates where every garage had to have a can of leak spray and a towbar electrics test, they now have to test for LPG leaks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:57 pm 
Advanced Member

Clifford Pope wrote:
I always present on petrol, and the tester has never commented on the existence of the LPG. I don't suppose he has even noticed it.
Why? Present for test running on LPG and it is tested to a lesser standard. Run on LPG all the time and then get it tested on petrol and it's far more likely to fail on lambda due to cats not working at their optimum. The test includes checks on the security of fuel system components as, as Lukie says, since Jan 2013, if LPG equipment is fitted it should be checked with leak detection spray.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:59 pm 
Installer

Lots of debate on UKLPG versus MOT here Lukie http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12025&hilit=uklpg+comments :lol:

Should have queried the insurance co's unspecified definition of engineer's report and they should have been more specific from the outset. I don't think many of us would presume either a UKLPG or MOT check would cover the a requirement for an engineer report in this context..

Trike might be considered a special case, if not a mass produced model it might have needed an engineer report before being allowed on the road in the first place, if LPG install was fitted (as it is now) at such time who knows if that engineer would have approved.

Blown some cash and put yourself out a bit due to a misunderstanding / confusion (maybe on some part on the insurer's side) but now that matter is cleared up, the requirement for a new MOT not a bad outcome, better than asking you for an engineer report?

Quite a few people have told me - Their insurers have asked for UKLPG database registration but when they have informed insurer the vehicle has passed an MOT since having LPG fitted, same insurer has then insured them without requiring the vehicle to have a UKLPG check or any further complications. Good, that makes sense to me!

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:39 pm 

MOT is cheaper than an engineers report, easy choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:38 pm 
Installer

E46CoupeM3 wrote:
MOT is cheaper than an engineers report, easy choice.

Cheaper than a UKLPG check too.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon