LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stupid Insurance Company
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 am 

:( Despite having had all my documentation for over six weeks and having gone through the process of getting an agreed valuation, my insurance company has now told me that my 88 needs to be registered on the DriveLPG website, though this has never been mentioned before. I have already given them a copy of the engineers report stating the installation was compliant. However the vehicle is not registered. It didn't need to be at the time. Unfortunately the company is no longer trading so I can't ask them to retrospectively register the vehicle on my behalf. (Apparently this is normal). The problem is that the insurer has given me 7 days (now 5 left) to get it registered or they cancel the insurance. The insurer is only open 9 - 5.30 Mon - Fri and my nearest LPGA installer is only open 8 - 6 weekdays. I work on average 7.30 - 6.30 (plus paperwork at home), so I have NO chance of getting this sorted. The insurer seems unwilling to help and will not extend the deadline.

What can I do?

Can anyone point me to the legislation that states that all vehicles must be registered? Or is someone giving me a load of bovine excrement?

Anyone had similar experiences?

Oh, by the way, if I cancel the insurance all my costs so far for the valuation etc will be lost.

To say I am furious would be an understatement.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 am 
Installer

If you paid with credit card your card company might be able to help you.

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm 
Installer

There is no legislation requiring conversions to be registered. This does not stop any insurer insisting that they are, it's up to them how they do business.

If the original installer was a LPGA member and issued a paper "green certificate" in pre-register days, you can get it put on the UKLPG register by sending that in, described here
http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/advice-and-in ... -register/

Many non-LPGA installers issue paper "certificates" saying that they comply with LPGA/UKLPG codes of practice, but these count for nothing here.

Perhaps you could arrange a lift to work, and leave your vehicle at the inspector's if it does need looking at?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 pm 

Had a long discussion with insurers today. They have agreed to extend the deadline for seven days then cancel the insurance giving me a full refund as they were at fault for not telling me that my engineers report was useless. They then said they would set up a new policy giving me a further four weeks to get the inspection sorted. Bit complicated and quite daft, but that's the best they could offer.

It's not a simple matter of getting dropped off at the inspector as there are no LPGA inspectors local to me, and I am at work from 7.30am - 6.30pm every day. Besides which the original deadline was wholly unreasonable.

I have sourced a mobile LPGA registered engineer and am sorting an inspection and service at my place of work.