LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: insurance.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 am 

Recently bought my grand Cherokee with log conversion, just changed insurance over from jaguar and never thought about the conversion. is it is registered as duel fuel on log book,allso states on tax disc alternative fuel, has been for couple of years,i do have certificate with it and the search you do on the websites come up with the data from dvla so surely on change over the insurance will be aware its petrol/lpg without haveing to inform them any further. Its only something i just thought about it and not been on insurance web site to check anything yet,just wanted your initial thoughts.

Post subject: Re: insurance.
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 am 
Installer

It wasn't first sold with LPG, so it is a modification.
The insurers will say it's not their job to seek out information about your car, it's your duty to tell them about modifications.
Whether they could find out or not, you've failed in your part of the contract with them.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:58 am 

Just been on the insurance web site and it states if its been professionaly fitted they don't need to be informed. This is with swiftcover, they have a very good web site so you don't need to be sat on hold on premium priced phoneline.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 pm 
Installer

Always worth doing your own homework ;) You've got something to say it was professionally fitted then?

First two pages of this post discusses Swiftcover
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10940
(but after that it gets silly)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

rossko wrote:
You've got something to say it was professionally fitted then?

isn't a certificate proof of that?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:31 pm 

Iv worked in the accident repair trade for 28 years and in the last 5 we have had to conform to British standards or PAS 125 as its known, every body technition has to have qulification in the trades and pass a Ata training course every few years to keep on top of changes in the industry and keep a check of compitence, just wish all trades were that thorough but as in any trade the work is only as good as the technition doing the job. The certificate given when you have lpg fitted and subsiquent safety/maintenence checks certificates are a form of proof of quality of fitment that must be good enough for my insurance company to be happy. Sticking big wheels or induction filters,lowering, tints, borpy exhausts are alterations swiftcover don't like for obvious reasons so you have to then get modified insurance. The web site state wot modifications they accept without needing to inform them. I rent a house out and that has to have gas safety certificate every year, you should see the Muppets they send out to check that lot every year but that's wot I have to do to stay "safe" and legal.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 pm 
Installer

john_d wrote:
isn't a certificate proof of that?

I don't know, what is it a certificate of i.e. what does it actually say?

Bear in mind I "certify" D.I.Y.installations. They get registered on UKLPG system (used to get a paper cert of conformance) which is what many insurers ask to see. But that doesn't make it "pro installed". Seems that would satisfy everybody but Swiftcover!