LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:55 pm 
Intermediate Member

LPGC wrote:
kbs wrote:
I don't understand the shopping bag or the 'nar'. Is this because I'm a thick Southern farmer?
Is this a local thing? - I know Morrisons are popular up North - perhaps its a Northern advert that thick Southerners can't understand ?
Does it mean anything to anyone on here?

Great thread - would love to recreate it - but would also like to live.

I don't know where Toolless was from, there could be some hidden colloquial meaning... But I think it more likely that what he meant was... Instead of repairing the valve's gas tight housing properly he would instead use a Morrisons shopping bag around the valve to try to effect a seal around the valve and pipe vents.

We see a lot of multivalves 'protected' from the elements like this when fitted externally, but it wouldn't be safe on an internal install where the valve should be sealed inside a gas tight enclosure, so that any any leak or tank venting is externally vented rather than vented inside the vehicle. Purpose designed valve protection covers are designed for tanks that are fitted externally but not always fitted, but not a safety issue when the tank is external.

Simon
Lpgc

Carlisle i think rings a bell for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:38 pm 

LPGC wrote:
So do you reckon Tollless was an internet troll, here to have a laugh and wind people up?

Simon

No I reckon he's an idiot by the sounds of it.. I think he might be well known as troll-like for his thick ignorance.
You know, the sort of inbredy chromosomey type that you might find on the odd estate here and there.
Either that or a troll, I suppose...
That's just what I reckon anyway!

BMW E46 330i automatic on Zavoli Zeta-S/AEB/PANs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:41 pm 
Advanced Member

I had a feeling he was Cumbria somewhere and it looks like Carl has identified him. He wasn't a troll, just stupid and the two news articles seem to sum him up quite nicely.....

Now we have stickies! looks like someone has updated the forum software.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Gilbertd wrote:
looks like someone has updated the forum software.

nope, always been there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 pm 
Installer

just the permission to use it

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:18 am 
Site Admin

classicswede wrote:
just the permission to use it

yip 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:12 am 

I've just read this thread (well some of it, first few pages and the last few) and i'm now seriously worried!

If it's a wind up then fine, but are there really people out there that are that incompetent yet think they can do everything? Actually don't answer that! I've seen a few of the things these so-called mechanics have done and put most of them right too.

I will be doing my own installs in the near future on a pair of Rover 827s i own, one will get a Leonardo AEB 175 single point mixer/Lambda control system (for the time being at least) and the other will be getting a Stargas SGi multipoint injection system.

Both front ends are second hand and stand me in at about £120-130 ish all in. However i still need a few bits that i'll be buying from various sources, some i will make myself and others are going to be checked over from the kits i bought and repaired/repalced as i deem necessary.

Obviously i'll do a write up on each install and hopefully they will also be worthy of becoming stickies - not because of the ticking time-bomb disaster this one was but more in terms of a good way to do a DIY install.

It should also be an interesting comparison - 2 near identical vehicles with 2 different systems. Hopefully won't take me too long (not in the best of health or physically able to do some things) but won't be as quick as most of you work so bear with me, i'll get there in the end!

As for the OP on this thread - i'd call him a half wit but i think that's being over generous by 4/10!!! :lol:

Somewhere in Suffolk with a Jeep, 2 Rovers and a V6 Volvo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:19 am 
Installer

Do yourself a favour and steer away from Stargas.

The supplier of the system no longer imports it. I have written reports for courts on unsuitability of the system for some motors... would be OK for an 827 but not a good system.

If you must have Stargas i've probably got a system here you can have for less than prices you mentioned. Don't pay that price for a second hand AEB175 based system unless it includes the tank.

827's eh? You're not a journalist for a certain car mechanics magazine that I've given info on LPG matters in the past to by any chance?

Simon

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:43 am 

Hmm, bit late on the Stargas advice Simon i'm afraid! It's been here a couple of weeks now! Thanks anyway! It came from a Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 which apparently churn out between 155-210bhp depending on year/spec so should be almost plug and play - i hope!

The price i mentioned was for both systems, bought separately on ebay including postage. I've also just won a tank for 99p (delivery comes out at about £40 though!) and another tank for about double that.

Both are toroidal and about 60L so all in all, apart from odds and ends, i've got two systems including tanks for about £240 ish and one even came with a roll of copper tube (new) which i'm guessing is about £30 on it's own.

No, i'm not a journalist but i think i've seen the article in question. In fact i think i have a copy of it somewhere on a disc. Always been into my Rovers though and have run them in various forms for 30 years starting with a P6 2000 and progressing to a V8 SD1 (had 7 SD1s, 5 were V8s), various 200/400/600 models, an early 820 yonks ago followed by a Mk1 827 Sterling, my current 827 Sterling and it's relatively recent stablemate an 827 coupe.
I did also briefly own an 827 SLi in the same colour as the other two but sold it to a fiend round the corner. He's making noises about asking me to convert that to gas as well................ :roll:

Something i have been struggling to find though is an installation manual for a Stargas system - don't suppose you'd be able to help in that direction?
Got all the info for the AEB system including the software (but not the leads/adaptors) so i can at least get it wired and plumbed in while i wait for the lead to land from wherever. Apparently it came off a 3.5 V8 Range Rover with the Lucas "hot-wire" AFM so is probably set up within the ball-park for my 827 except the number of cylinders and maybe a bit of fine tuning.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:22 am 

not mine but currently on ebay, don't like the gas ecu cable tied to top of batt over positive terminal

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... B/$_57.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:33 pm 

xtype_lpg wrote:
not mine but currently on ebay, don't like the gas ecu cable tied to top of batt over positive terminal

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/ ... B/$_57.JPG

Right next to the reducer as well! :shock: Confession time now, my Leo ECU is cable tied to the brake servo pipe bracket as a temporary measure while i fabricate a combined bracket/heatshield - emphasis on "temporary" as i have a sheet of aluminium to do the job now and only ran it like that for a day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:52 pm 
Advanced Member

Yes Dave, he really did exist and really was as incompetent as the thread suggests.

But, do us a favour and start another thread rather than making people think Toolless has re-appeared. This one should really be locked.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13