LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where is all the LPG?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am 

For the last week (writing this on 22 march 2018) or so there has been no LPG available in the Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire area. I though it was a delay due to recent snow. I would have expected any distribution would have been resolved by now?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the problems and when normal deliveries may be resumed?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

My local Morrison's (Port Talbot) had lpg today after being out since last Wednesday, so things maybe moving now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:16 pm 
Advanced Member

If you look at (and update) the interactive map on www.filllpg.co.uk, you'll see that there are some areas of the country that have virtually none while others are OK. I asked in my local Flogas depot and was told it is a combination of a number of things. One of the main refineries in the UK that processes Propane, a by-product of petrol and diesel production, is currently not working due to a planned shut down for maintenance. This wasn't expected to cause a problem as increased supplies would be coming in from mainland Europe. However, an explosion at one of the main European refineries in Austria just before Christmas has resulted in a shortage in Europe too. Combine that with the cold weather resulting in increased demand for Propane for heating in off-grid households means that increased demand and lack of supply means someone has to suffer. Although quicker to fill a bulk tank than it takes to fill our tanks, it still isn't quick and delivery drivers have to comply with driving hours regs. Given the choice between delivering to 4 or 5 households that are in danger of dying from hypothermia and filling a filling station so we can run our cars on cheap fuel, guess who takes priority.

However, they did say that things should be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm 
Intermediate Member

Its been very hit and miss (more miss than hit recently) - I'm in the same area, and have noticed the Flogas supplied stations have had none at all for weeks now. The Calor ones have had some deliveries, but are trying to cope with all the drivers that can't fill up at the other stations so are running out far quicker than usual. You may find more luck with some of the Shell stations than others (as most of the calor ones are shell, but not all the shell are Calor - the ones that were Total a few years ago are typically Flogas).

Having said that, checking Filllpg shows Sainsburys at London Colney has some now, Though thats no guarantee so unless your going that way anyway it might be an idea to phone them if its close enough to you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:11 pm 

I filled up at Andy's Gas in Bristol on Monday as both of the supermarkets at Cribbs Causeway are out. The tanker was filling up there as I arrived. The issue lies with scheduled maintenance at the flogas depots in Southampton and Cardiff. The fact that both overran and the weather turned cold (who'd have thought that might happen in January and February!) means flogas have no reserves available for road fuel. He claims they are currently four to five weeks behind on household deliveries and will not resume road fuel deliveries until that is caught up, so expect at least another month of shortages at least. There was an explosion at a plant in Austria but that is being used as an excuse to detract from flogas's lack of foresight.

We can find none here in Dorset, I have updated three sites on filllpg today which were showing available but were out when we tried, so back to petrol.

The really bad news is that our local filling station at home has decided to stop supplying LPG, his contract with flogas expires in April and he will not renew. That leaves me dependent on motorway stations at motorway prices. I'm due to change the Honda this spring, I'll be heading back to diesel.

Now in a Honda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm 
Intermediate Member

And to add even further DCC (parent of Flogas) has purchased Countrywide LPG. So your now really only left with 2 suppliers. Calor and Flogas. If I'm lucky one of the 3 local stations has gas for a couple of days a week, the other two haven't had any for ages now (both Flogas).

To be fair most (not all though) of the motorway services don't mark it up as high as the petrol/diesel - The local stations were 65.9/60.9/60.9 last time they had any - Toddington services on the m1 were 61.9 when i was going past there (and had some for a change) a few days ago. Though some are just exploiting the shortage and asking 79.9 all the same.

I've got a car thats been meaning to get converted since November - Given I can't easily buy any at the minute theres no point though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:16 am 

Yea the Flogas suppled places haven't had autogas for over a month near me.

Unfortunately for me Calor supplied stations south of the A303 have been pretty much out too the last 2 weeks.

There has been issues on the south coast between Portsmouth and Bournemouth for nearly a month.

I really hope this lack of LPG supply gets sorted out soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:53 pm 
Advanced Member

Finally made the mainstream news http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43619732

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm 
Intermediate Member

The two local Flogas stations here now have LPG - Speaking to one today they were in the dark as to what the problem was, and have had 2 deliveries since the weekend now and expecting it to be back to normal service.

A lot of the problem is a lack of competition giving them little motivation to do any better though.