LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 pm 
Intermediate Member

Not sure if this is just round here, or more widespread. The local stations that are supplied by Flogas (which is all except 1 of them now) all seem to be out of gas, and have been for a few days in most cases. This is the m1 Toddington services, Sainsburys at London Colney, BP Linford wood in Milton Keynes and Shell Broughton (m1 J14) - Looking at Filllpg all the other local stations are shown as unavailable if they are Flogas (Asda, the few BP sites that still have lpg etc).

Is it just due to the cold weather or some other reason?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 pm 

None available in Glasgow or Ayrshire. Said there is a shortage. Couldn't get through to Floras today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:54 pm 

same at shell in witney oxon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:22 am 
Advanced Member

It may be a Flogas thing as all the Shell stations in my area have supplies although I haven't tried any Flogas supplied ones in the last few days so don't know if they have any or not. However, I suspect it's down to the cold weather and people needing LPG for home heating. I had to wait over a week for a delivery of heating oil despite phoning two days after placing the order and telling them I'd run out (new tank and not being familiar with the new gauge). They couldn't bring the delivery forward as demand was so high. I would think it's much the same with LPG, they make more profit on home heating supplies than garage forecourt sales so would prioritise those.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 pm 
Intermediate Member

Gilbertd wrote:
It may be a Flogas thing as all the Shell stations in my area have supplies although I haven't tried any Flogas supplied ones in the last few days so don't know if they have any or not. However, I suspect it's down to the cold weather and people needing LPG for home heating. I had to wait over a week for a delivery of heating oil despite phoning two days after placing the order and telling them I'd run out (new tank and not being familiar with the new gauge). They couldn't bring the delivery forward as demand was so high. I would think it's much the same with LPG, they make more profit on home heating supplies than garage forecourt sales so would prioritise those.

Certainly looks that way - the last station here has been flagged up as unavailable today. Managed to get some at Asda in Derby but looks like its a problem all over the place here at present.

Also it looks like Countrywide have sold their LPG operations to DCC (which is the parent company of Flogas as far as I can tell). Not that I use them often as they aren't around here anyway (closest to me is the Witney station next door to the one Robert mentioned) and are usually more expensive anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 am 

There is most certainly a shortage. How this has not made the papers is beyond we with this cold snap.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ery-of-lpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 am 
Intermediate Member

They are too busy with brexit and other nonsense to notice would be my guess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:33 pm 
Advanced Member

Not sure it is a Flogas thing as looking at FillLPG it seems there's quite a few Calor depots with no supplies available, whereas Flogas depots don't seem to have a problem. It looks like large chunks of the country are affected worse than others, my area and much of East Anglia, looks OK but in other places there's an awful lot of stations that are out. Seems that the shortage is caused by a number of different things (see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... it-supply/) including an explosion at a refinery in Austria (although I suspect that is natural gas rather than LPG as Propane is a by product of petrol and diesel production).

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:12 pm 
Intermediate Member

All 3 in Milton Keynes were out yesterday. Luckly managed to find some on the a41 this morning Though most of that tankful will be gone by the time I get home today!.