LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which flashlube?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm 

Hi, a very simple question. Have run out of flashlube for our Romano equipped Mazda Bongo, is there any difference in the makes available or will any do?

cheers

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Which flashlube?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 pm 
Intermediate Member

You can find that some of the other brands are a different viscosity so you may need to adjust the flow rate if its a manual type.

Performance wise hard to say, though you don't seem to see many complaints about any of them so thats probably a good sign.

The electronic types give dire warnings about using the wrong fluids, I've been using JLM fluid in the Flashlube unit I've got(As i'd got 20 litres of it didn't really have much choice on changing from manual to electronic unit) gone through 10 litres of it without seeing problems as yet. (Kept having the manual unit stop dosing after a few days, think it was contacting the bonnet as space very tight so decided to change it as was getting fed up of messing with it).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm 

Many thanks for that, worth knowing.

cheers

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm 
Intermediate Member

Flashlube is generally the most expensive of the brands though theres only a few pounds difference between the 5l bottle size. Its much cheaper per litre buying the 5l sizes (or multiples of them together) than the smaller ones, just like engine oil etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:11 pm 

Hi, many thanks for the reply. Just ordered 1L bottle to get by, then will look harder at prices. I take it Flashlube is a good brand, or are they all much the same.

cheers

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 pm 
Intermediate Member

Flashlube is probably the most known brand out of whats available. JLM I would guess is a close second. I've done approx 40k miles on a Ford Focus Zetec engine (known for soft valve seats) without any noticable problems on the JLM fluid. Most would expect issues to become apparent fairly quickly on that engine without flashlube (valve seats made of chocolate/Butter etc!). Flashlube is a few pounds more (when I brought the JLM fluid I got 20 litres for about £140 - No longer available at anywhere near that price now though! Flashlube typically is around £57 for 5 litres last time I looked) but should still be a good bet if you want a known choice as such.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 am 

I tend to get the 5L Flashlube when I'm getting low, search around for offers on eBay etc. Then decant into 1L bottle for use.

2008 Volkswagen Caravelle (Diesel)