LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm 

I recently purchased a obd dongle in order to read the CVT fluid temperature on my 2011 Subaru Outback. This dongle has also allowed me to look observe other things like timing, knock correction etc. I run on lpg most of the time, but recently ran out of it and ran on petrol for a while. I noticed the engine was " pinging" slightly at about 1200rpm, especially at low speed on an incline. It does not do this on lpg. Is this caused by the petrol ecu adapting to the higher octane lpg, then struggling with 95 octane petrol.? I have observed the ECU trying and failing to advance the ignition advance multiplier ( i think its called) while on petrol to 1.0 and it didn't do it in a couple of days and about 100 miles of driving. When i switched to lpg, it got to 1.0 ( where it apparently should be?) within 10 minutes! Any input appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:42 pm 

Any thoughts on this? Had to run on petrol again today for a while, and car runs a little bit @!## while on petrol, slight hesitation while accelerating, but idles spot on. Runs perfectly on lpg, smooth and quiet. Seemed to improve a little the more miles I did on petrol. Trying to convince myself that it's the ECU adapting to lower octane petrol. Would really appreciate comments to hopefully put my mind to rest...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 pm 
Advanced Member

Some will but it depends on what Octane fuel the car was originally designed to run on. I've got a 1990 Maserati Biturbo Spyder which is intended to run on 98 Octane. If I have had to put 95 Octane in it at any time, it runs badly and is noticeably down on power. I assume this is because the timing is being backed off as a result of the output from the knock sensors. It's doubtful that an ECU would be designed to give more advance if the fuel has a higher Octane, they will just run at whatever was programmed as the optimum for the fuel they recommend, but many will retard the timing if given something inferior. Might be worth sticking some 98 or 99 Octane in it and seeing what the ignition advance multiplier does then.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.